Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok...obviously my dice aren't cursed. But we've all been there, haven't we?

Don't we all have at least ONE game in our collection where something about the dice just get you thinking.

And when I say "thinking" I really mean "get you rolling the dice obsessivly over and over again trying to see if they really are screwed up."

I love Nexus Ops. It's sort of one of those "forgotten" games in my colleciton that pops up every once in a while and that people always love.

Yet I've always noticed that battles seem to always end in stalemates, with neither side being able to wipe the other one out.

While playing it recently I realized that my dice (especially the black ones) seem to almost always roll low. Twos most often.

Ok, ok...I get it. They probably are just fine and that's just the breaks. But still,...

In the interest of full disclosure, I got frustrated and rolled the four black dice over and over and over again trying to see if they'd EVER land with three or more dice at four or greater. They never did.

But I understand how math works...I think...and that it's like flipping a coin. But still....

And I can't bring myself to say that my dice for the game are scrweed up. Just consider this my entry into the "I've got a game where the dice just don't pay out..." legend. I suppose it's different for everyone.

Seriously though...they really do roll twos a lot. ha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm.... I've seen it happen, but it varies by the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Bowlin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My old dice for Settlers of Catan were similar. After keeping track for several games, I came to the conclusion that the dice were indeed weighted somehow. Replacing the dice improved the game. I recommend trying the game with a different set of dice and see if the same phenomena happens. If it doesn't, your dice were probably weighted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed the comments!

I think you should use those dice for Axis & Allies! (a game where low rolls are good!)

Just to clarify, though, your dice are not cursed. It has been scientifically proven that the only game dice that are actually cursed are the dice in Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gsbowlin wrote:
My old dice for Settlers of Catan were similar. After keeping track for several games, I came to the conclusion that the dice were indeed weighted somehow. Replacing the dice improved the game. I recommend trying the game with a different set of dice and see if the same phenomena happens. If it doesn't, your dice were probably weighted.

Settlers dice are wooden which is never a good idea. I can see how the density of the wood could cause statistical bent towards some numbers that could be observable over many plays.
The Nexus dice, while rounded, are plastic and I guarantee not "weighted" either by design nor in the same accidental way wooden dice could be.

Bad luck is bad luck. That's why the game uses dice.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your nexus dice are rounded? Mine are just standard dice, all square and everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen plastic dice that did have a center of gravity that was off, but they were usually dice that were poorly molded. The center of gravity was off because the dice wasn't properly squared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yib-Yab wrote:
Your nexus dice are rounded? Mine are just standard dice, all square and everything.

Yes, rounded as compared to Game Science dice. But then, everything is.
They're rounded on the corners compared to them.

I would say that the possibility of them having any bias towards a certain number is pretty statistically insignificant. Unlike having wood dice as in the anecdote provided above with the Settlers dice.

Again, nothing to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost obligatory:

Lou Zocchi's GameScience dice videos on the evils of mass produced dice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2fxoNHIuU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmkWrDbn34
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.