Hide
10 Posts

Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition» Forums » Variants

Subject: A role: The Bard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Sender
msg tools
This idea came to my mind while reading the Ultimate Werewolf manual on ghosts and teenage werewolves...

Bard
You may decide if you want to speak by the day. If you speak by the day, you must sing, rhyme, or otherwise perform one sentence's (? needs adjustment) worth of text, or otherwise you will die at the end of the current day, when the dissatisfied mob lynches you.

This role is more of a handicapped role. The bard can stay silent or hide his role by rhyming intelligently or otherwise performing discreetly in the middle of his speech. If he does perform somehow atleast a bit he may speak freely for the rest of the day.

Not playtested, but seems like a cool idea on paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rudisill
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, so I'll offer up some random thoughts on it.

The Teen Wolf works because saying "werewolf" every day
is something that most people do anyway.

I'm not so sure that the role is handicapped
when all it has to do is bust out a rap.

Figuring out who is the Bard will be easy
Only if a Werewolf pretends, does it then become greasy.

Over the long-haul many may not enjoy this role
For as soon as the werewolves discover who is the bard
That very night they will feast on Bardic lard
(Unless you play with a Bodyguard!)
The next morning there will be a village to console
As they dispose of the body into a 6 foot hole.

On a more serious note, this is a role upon which I dote.
Dang it. I'll stop, I swear.
Of course, if you are reading this, you probably don't care.

Must ... stop ... typing ... in ... rhymes.
Okay, I think I've resolved those dang limericks. Here's my problem with the role: the Teen Wolf is able to say Werewolf every day without impact because the word werewolf is said every 2 seconds anyway. It's so ingrained into my group at this point that, even on the rare times when we say what roles we are playing (so therefore we know that the Teen Wolf is in there), at least half the group will say Werewolf every day anyway. But, this? Not everyone rhymes what they say. When they do, it's usually a rare enough occurance that someone points it out. If you sing or otherwise perform it, that will be extremely noticeable as well. This will have one of two effects: either the village will rally behind you since they know you are safe, or the werewolves will eat you that night. Both aren't desirable outcomes for a role. Yes, a werewolf can pretend that they are a Bard, but then you've got role duplication and that means that both will be lynched. (Well, one will be and if it's the werewolf, obviously the other won't be lynched. But I think you understand what I'm saying.)

So, the question becomes: is there a way to fix this? I'm not sure. It works for the Werewolf because, just that: they are a Werewolf.

All of this is secondary, however, because this role just seems like a lot of fun. Throw it in your werewolf game, preferably the next one you run! (/ducks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tcrudisi wrote:
This will have one of two effects: either the village will rally behind you since they know you are safe, or the werewolves will eat you that night. Both aren't desirable outcomes for a role.

No, I think being eaten is fine for this role. It's effectively a named villager, with no special ability. If you get eaten, great, it means all the real specials live a day longer.

But yes, I agree that it's an issue. Often, a low-powered or disadvantaged role can best serve the village by claiming. If nobody counters then you're cleared of werewolfery, if anyone does then everyone knows one of the claimants is evil. This play is good for a village victory but not much fun, and too many of these roles and the game breaks completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rudisill
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife recently expressed a hatred for such roles. She doesn't want to claim and then get eaten, even though she knows its the best play for the village to win. What fun is it to die early and not get to participate? I would really like it if we could figure out some way to make this role more than just a named villager.

Also, I hope none of my werewolf group is reading this, but on Thursday I'll moderate a game and throw it into the mix. I think it will play a lot like the Teen Wolf: it works best when no one knows it is in the mix, so I'll hand out the roles and pass someone a blank card. I'll wake them up at night and give them a sheet that explains the role. The only thing I will tell the village is that there is a new role in play and it's on the villagers side.

I don't mind moderating but I really enjoy playing, so it will only see playtest once from me. Of course, it may not see the light of day. My group has an uncanny ability to kill off the new role on either the first night or the first day. I'd say with 75% accuracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tcrudisi wrote:
My wife recently expressed a hatred for such roles. She doesn't want to claim and then get eaten, even though she knows its the best play for the village to win. What fun is it to die early and not get to participate? I would really like it if we could figure out some way to make this role more than just a named villager.

Yeah, and it's no fun for the wolves either, because they have to kill clears at some point or they get locked into an unwinnable endgame, but each one they kill is another shot not taken at the power roles.

I think if the Bard gained an ability, but had to talk in rhyme to trigger it, it might work. Once the role becomes known it's still an obvious target, though, unless villagers start faking it to fool the wolves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rudisill
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of having to activate the power through entertainment. I was trying to come up with some ideas that would make the Bard useful in such a situation.

My immediate thought was the Bard could become a distraction. When the villagers go to lynch someone, you distract them from the lynch and save that persons life. But then I remembered there is already a similar role (Martyr). This should be usable only once.

Hmm... I don't like the idea of the Bard being on team evil, but I could see it's power being that no lynching takes place as the angry mob calms down to watch the bard perform.

Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Sender
msg tools
Well, you are true that considering this role game-wise makes it a bit pointless. My idea here was mainly that he had to rhyme ONCE PER DAY to gain the ability to speak freely (he can also choose not to speak during the day); so a Bard can hide him being Bard by rhyming intelligently (or a werewolf can pretend to be a Bard). The other side to this is that people in the village MIGHT start examining each other's speech more closely if they are given the notion that a Bard MIGHT BE in the game. Giving him an ability activated through rhyming is a whole different thing. I had this idea, though I guess he could have some other "different" power (than just protecting others)

Maybe he could for each rhyme (the Moderator needs to really concentrate on this though which is a bad side for newer moderators especially and in bigger games) spoken in the day, choose MULTIPLE PEOPLE under his "protection" during the night (charming them and luring them into his hideout, or something). The more people he lures the more likely it is for the other players to notice this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about something like this:

Each night, the Bard can choose to play a song or not. If he does, he chooses two people to listen to his music. If one of them is a Wolf, the Wolf eats the Bard, and the other person is shown who the Wolf is.

If the Bard picks well, it'll net a Wolf. If the Bard picks two Evils, the Bard dies in the night, and nobody will ever know who did it....

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Guenhwyvhar wrote:
How about something like this:

Each night, the Bard can choose to play a song or not. If he does, he chooses two people to listen to his music. If one of them is a Wolf, the Wolf eats the Bard, and the other person is shown who the Wolf is.

If the Bard picks well, it'll net a Wolf. If the Bard picks two Evils, the Bard dies in the night, and nobody will ever know who did it....

Just a thought.

And on the plus side, if you miss, you clear two goods. Yah?

Maybe make it a once per game effect, like the Troublemaker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rudisill
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that idea, Guen!

Side note: I moderated a couple of games today and completely forgot to include this. /grumbles.

I'll try to remember next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.