Rick Blaha
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
What a Terrible Night to Have a Curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be attending GenCon for the first time this year, and I am in need of some advice. I will be driving in and am looking to stay at a hotel downtown. Is parking free for hotel guests (in the hotel lots)? All I am seeing on the city maps are pay lots, which could add up after the best four days in gaming. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get a hotel within walking distance, my understanding is that they ALL charge for parking. And yes, it's as expensive to stay in their lots as it is to use the public ones.

broadly speaking, it's often cheaper to fly or greyhound in, and taxi to/from the airport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe, based on past bills, that they all charge 15+ / Day, even for guests but being a guest allows unlimited coming nd going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I suppose the take away is to drive with some other people and split the costs whilst maintaining the freedom of having a car...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more like $25 per day at the hotels. I pay the fee because my family can use the car whenever they like while I am playing games.

There is a parking lot right near the convention where someone I know parked. They charge a full day for a lost ticket, so he parked there for six days then "lost" his ticket and they charged him for a full day.

I can't imagine they haven't caught onto this yet, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:
It's more like $25 per day at the hotels.

I agree, that's how much it cost me last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondering the very same, to sum up in the cost because i´m thinking between staying at expensive close by hotel or to get a cheap one pretty far that needs the car. what is more recommended?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you stay far away, you're still going to have to pay for parking near the con anyway, it's less convenient but could be a bit cheaper.

Personally, I want to get the most out of my 4 days there - this is the only gaming convention I get to go to in the whole year so I'd rather stay close to the con and avoid another potential hassle. To control the cost, just get roommates.

My wife thinks it's silly that we're putting 6-8 grown men in a suite but what she doesn't understand is that that's half the fun. We game all day and when we finally get home at night we talk with each other about what we played and what we thought of it. It's like being back at camp or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downtown Indy is very walkable. If you can get a hotel downtown and then just take hotel shuttle to/from the airport (cost is free), that's probably your best bet. Also you won't have any need for a rental car so factor in that savings as well. Lots of entertainment and dining options throughout downtown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Luisjoey wrote:
I wondering the very same, to sum up in the cost because i´m thinking between staying at expensive close by hotel or to get a cheap one pretty far that needs the car. what is more recommended?

We always get a hotel about 10 miles away and drive in. There are parking lots well within walking distances that charge $10/day ($5 on Sunday).

"Rush hour" traffic in Indy is nothing compared to Chicago so the drive is negligible to us.

I'm sure it would be great to be able to walk from your hotel to the convention and I'm not knocking those who do but staying at a hotel out a little farther is still a viable option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Blaha
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Da people from Chicagoland are impervious to the anguish of traffic jams... unless it is traffic jam Ditka.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year was my first year. I was about 10 miles away for $32 a night. Just booked my hotel for this year at $43 a night. I paid about $20 to park right across from the center. So I figure for a little over $60 a day, that is not too bad. And I never had trouble finding parking either. Where parking in the lots gets you is if you leave and come back.

So I just stay and game/shop all day.

For 5 days..... awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what your exact situation is, but I am going with a number of gamers and we all have different things we are interested in. I would say get a hotel close to the con so that coming and going is really easy. Then drop off your stuff at the hotel and park in a cheap lot farther away and walk back. I found no reason to have a car the entire time I was there. Lots of food within a few blocks and a liquor store just down the street.

Why would you be driving anyway you are supposed to play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Baldish
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
My family was curious about this as well.

We were considering GenCon this year, but was unsure how close hotels are to the convention center. It would be much easier to walk a short distance with the family, than to get 3 kids in the van every time we go back and forth. Plus if Donna and the kids needed a break, I figured they could just head back to the hotel to rest. Me...I don't need no stinking rest, just coffee.

Any close hotel recommendations for a family of 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question...when we try to use our hotel codes, they're saying they're all booked. Is that possible? Last year we got rooms in May and they were close. Now they're all 7 to 10 miles away.

Really? All booked already?

And last year we stayed 5 blocks away and it was $25 for the entire time we were there at the hotel we were with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also curious about parking and hotel recommendations.

Actually, if someone could point me to a thread with advice for a first time visitor to GenCon I would be very thankful.

Basically I have two friends who drive to WV from NY. Then I drive all three of us from WV to the convention. For the past handful of years we have went to Origins but the date change is making is check out GenCon for the first time. We normally try to stay in a hotel as close to the con as possible but we do have our own car since we like to drive out for a nice dinner each night.

So, any advice? Is everything really already booked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmy Rink
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
thearkhammonk wrote:
Another question...when we try to use our hotel codes, they're saying they're all booked. Is that possible? Last year we got rooms in May and they were close. Now they're all 7 to 10 miles away.

Really? All booked already?

And last year we stayed 5 blocks away and it was $25 for the entire time we were there at the hotel we were with.

The Moto GP is the same weekend this year, and I think that brings in close to 65,000 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Blaha
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moto GP. GenCon. I think we all know what the real draw is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marimacc .
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi guys,

marimacc from the Gen Con forums here; I see a lot of people asking general questions about hotels and parking, and I strongly recommend, if you haven't, that you check out the Gen Con forums (community.gencon.com) where we have lots of information about this.

Just to answer a few questions though; yes, all close hotels downtown, with the exception of the Courtyard by Mariott, charge significantly for parking, from $15-$25 a night, depending on the hotel. Courtyards by definition almost never charge for parking, it's just one of their brand benefits I guess you would say.

There's also a Courtyard at the Capitol, and a Residence Inn, which are about 3-4 blocks away, that have free parking.

People will often unload their cars, then park out by the airport. Very few downtown hotels have free airport shuttles, but if you park out there, you can use the Green Line to get right downtown, it's a $7 city bus:

http://www.indianapolisairport.com/parking_transportation/ci...

Someone asked if it was possible all downtown hotels are booked. Technically, yes it is. They book up pretty quickly. In reality, what you need to do is first, call the Housing Bureau at 317-262-8191 to be placed on the waiting list. Then, you should keep an eye on the housing forum on the Gen Con forums, as people are looking for roommates and/or dumping reservations fairly frequently. People have had great luck getting a downtown hotel room from the housing Bureau wait list, so I do recommend that.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask them here or on the Gen Con forums.

marimacc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much Marimacc

I do go to Gen Con from venezuela and stay at courtyard didn´t knew they have free parking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.