Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The Dorks Review Dominion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and I got this game last Saturday (Thanks Dave of www.timewellspentgames.com) and already it is now my personal favorite and it is in my wife's top 5.

Dominion is a deck building game and each player starts with the same 10 cards each game (7 copper and 3 Victory Points). You begin my shuffling, and you will shuffle a lot! You draw 5 cards each round and you get a chance to do the ABC. A is play an action, B is buy a card, C is clean up. There are cards that can modify these as the game goes along because they may give you an extra action, an extra buying power, and some change the way you clean up after the hand.

Once the hand is completed, you discard the hand you played and any cards you bought and play another five cards. This continues till either A) 3 deck piles have run out of cards or B) the Province cards (the highest victory points) deck runs out.


What we like about it:

My first venture into the Deck Building world was Resident Evil deck Building game and I did like that game a lot, but Dominion to me is the perfect balance of this gaming genre. There is a complex simplicity to this game that I adore. Dominion is easy to learn, hard to master.

I only have 7 or so games under my belt and each one is very different. I have tried the "big Money" strategy and the stacking the long crazy actions together. I love that each game you can randomize the cards and have a totally different game.

The ease of teaching was very low and we have taught to 4 different people from experienced to beginner and they all want to play again. That is a good sign that you will have a game with a great replay value and this is a good gateway game for beginners. The rules are basically on the cards and after just a few hands you pick up on what you need to do each turn.

The replay is fast and games usually for us take around 30 minutes, and that is with the wife reading every card over and over.

What we didn't like.
The game is for 2-4 people, wish it was more (I am not sure if expansions will add to this total). The cards really should be sleeved because of the shuffling and that adds to the cost of the game. The setup time for this is pretty long.

Overall- My favorite game, I will give it 9.8 out of 10

DorksGoneWild
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. This is one of our favorite games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DorksGoneWild wrote:

The game is for 2-4 people, wish it was more (I am not sure if expansions will add to this total). The cards really should be sleeved because of the shuffling and that adds to the cost of the game. The setup time for this is pretty long.


With the base set and Intrigue, Dominion can be played with 5-6 players (but I wouldn't recommend it).

Also, the set up (at least for me) is far shorter then most every other game I have tried...



Edit: odd wording.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
DorksGoneWild wrote:

The game is for 2-4 people, wish it was more (I am not sure if expansions will add to this total). The cards really should be sleeved because of the shuffling and that adds to the cost of the game. The setup time for this is pretty long.


With base and Intrigue Dominion can play 5-6 players (but I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, the set up (for me) is far shorter then most every other game I have tried...


After doing the setup for Thunderstone for the first time, I may have to change my mind on that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I'll be interested to see how much you like the game after even more plays. Dominion has been #1 in my collection ever since I picked it up.

You may not realize that Dominion is not just a deck-building game but an expansion-building game too. You win when you own all the expansions and the promos. You lose if your game closet becomes too full or your wallet too empty before completing the set.

Let us know how long it takes you to purchase the released sets. You'll be counting down to the next expansion with the bunch of us soon enough.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have Hinterlands and Alchemy, they have not been played or sleeved yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DorksGoneWild wrote:
I already have Hinterlands and Alchemy, they have not been played or sleeved yet.

And so it begins...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
DorksGoneWild wrote:

The game is for 2-4 people, wish it was more (I am not sure if expansions will add to this total). The cards really should be sleeved because of the shuffling and that adds to the cost of the game. The setup time for this is pretty long.


With base and Intrigue Dominion can play 5-6 players (but I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, the set up (for me) is far shorter then most every other game I have tried...

Dominion: Intrigue contains another full set of basic cards (Copper, Estate, Curse, etc.) and rules for playing with up to 6 players in one game. If you're willing to split into two tables, you can play with up to 8, as two tables of 4.

When we have 5, we play with 5. It's usually just fine with 5. It's playable with 6 in one game, but often there's a little too much downtime and the power of the interactive cards is distorted too much. I once played a game where they house-ruled it for 7 players and while I wouldn't recommend it, the rest of the group seemed to enjoy it.

With 6 or more, we usually split into two tables. If there's time, we switch tables after the first game and play the setup at the other table. Then we can compare notes of how the two games went with each setup. Two tables has the advantage of reduced setup time, if you play both games, because you set them up once and play them twice. Obviously, you have to move between tables (it's easier to move people than cards) but that's not usually a big deal. Some people don't like to split up the group, but with 8 players you usually have to choose anyway between splitting up the group and playing a party game.

Setup doesn't really take that long when you get the hang of it, and it's a task that can be shared amongst the players. One player can be setting out the basic cards while another is randomizing the Kingdom while another is counting out starting hands. Once the Kingdom cards are selected (assuming you are just shuffling and dealing out the randomizers), it's quicker if one person calls out the cards while another pulls them from the box while another sorts them by cost (and not everyone does the last step).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The ease of teaching was very low and we have taught to 4 different people from experienced to beginner and they all want to play again.


You would want to phrase this as "The difficulty in teaching was very low" or "The ease of teaching was very high"; I know what you mean, but that clause makes it sound like the game is difficult to teach.

Quote:
My favorite game, I will give it 9.8 out of 10


I'd be leery of rating any game above a 9 without a lot of plays; the base set of Dominion is particularly likely to seem great after ten plays but get boring later. You might be one of those people who still loves it after 100 plays, or you might be stuck playing it because the people you taught really like it...

Redward wrote:
Also, the set up (at least for me) is far shorter then most every other game I have tried...


Ascension, Race for the Galaxy, Kingdom Builder all take substantially less time for me to setup. However, Dominion has a better replay value than Ascension or Kingdom Builder and is typically much easier to learn than Race for the Galaxy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct Stunna, I did phrase that poorly.

We own Race for the Galaxy, but have not played it yet.

Thanks for the feedback!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DorksGoneWild wrote:
There is a complex simplicity to this game that I adore. Dominion is easy to learn, hard to master.

I disagree. Easy to learn easy to master, Intrigue is a bit better because the cards are less wildly unbalanced (buy all Laboratories as fast as possible is not an strategy). Even with intrigue Dominion has several qualities: Elegant mechanics, simplicity... but strategic depth is not one of them (at least when you compare with some of the best heavier games).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because "buy all Laboratories as fast as possible is not a strategy" doesn't mean that some people won't still do it to their dismay. Buying the right number of Laboratories takes practice, skill, and intuition which makes the right way to play it tough to master.

I don't understand why you disagreed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: The Dorks Review Dominion
Hear, hear! That's to the score of 9.8 out of 10. I notice that the postings don't always stick with bit you want to reply to; ie i havn't worked out how to do properly yet.

Or perhaps a higher score still. Ie 9.9 +

My wife and I often get fairly hooked with 3 games each evening... Using a random mix of cards from basic, cornucopia, alchemy, hinterlands and the 5 promos. I've prepared an a5 sized booklet with 32 random selections (2 on each page) with the card images ... Sad; I know. But. My wife lets me set up the table after she's selected the letter of alphabet or AA bb cc dd ee ff (I could have simply used hexadec. Numbers to make it simpler ... Mmm!) and I really enjoy the formality of laying out cards neatly and preparing our starting cards ready to shuffle and then off we go.
Can't wait to buy our Dutch version of intrigue this week coming and then dark ages arriving in the next few weeks (assuming that uk distbn is imminent). Who says I'm a dominion fanatic!!!?
Next step, next year might be to find a uk based tournament in which to join. Keep up the enjoyment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.