Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the story. I got a little money burning a hole in my pocket. So I thought to myself: "Self, you have a nice tax return coming. GMT doesn't have anything scheduled till mid March. You just got a game from MMP this month, so don't expect anything to be printed by them for another six months. (I know that was a cheap shot, sorry MMP.) And I don't even want to talk about The God Kings: Warfare at the Dawn of Civilization, 1500 – 1260BC. Self, you should order yourself some games!"

Well I always listen to good advice, and considering the source I knew this must be good advise. So I sat down yesterday and started looking for games to order. Games I looked for included, but are not limited to:

A Few Acres of Snow
Eclipse
Glen More
Zulus on the Ramparts!
A Blood-Red Banner: The Alamo
Airlines Europe
Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975

I even looked for WiF, but that makes my head hurt, even after looking over Wendell's geeklists.

I looked at retailers such as Coolstuff, Thought Hammer, Wargame Depot, Boards and Bits, and Noble Knight. I assume most of you being good geeks already know what I found. That's right, not much. I finally gave up and went to bed to dream of games.

Here's where I get to the fly in the buttermilk. As I laid there thinking of games, it came to me! Why not draw on the wealth that is BGG. Let the wise, grizzled grognards point me in the right direction. Everybody has an opinion right?

I'm looking for mostly war games, though if you know some meaty Euro or Strategy games I'm good with those too. I would like them to play well via email, cyberboard or vassal. My collection is current, as is my wishlist. I am not sure about the rankings on my wishlist, anything from 1-3 are aboout the same. If you would be so kind to list the game/games you think I should get and the retailer or publisher I should purchase them from and why, I would be eternally grateful. If I chose your suggestions, I will throw you some small gg tips.

If you think this was a good idea, throw me a thumb. If you think it's a stupid idea, call me an ass and throw me a thumb. Don't worry about calling me an ass, my wife calls me one multiple times a day. I have the perfect defense though. (Besides the fact that it is true.) You see before we were married I told her on many occasions I was ass. Even my own mother, in a polite way told her I was an ass. The point is that this isn't breaking news. I've learned to live with it and wear it like a badge of honor, just like being called a Geek!

Thanks much for reading this and taking the time to respond.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An ass from Iowa? No way. Buy A Few Acres of Snow. Don't read any strategy forums about it, just enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can I find a copy? I think every vendor I looked at said it was not in stock.

We got asses in Iowa, they're just corn-fed and bigger than most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I was going to say Dominant Species, and then I figured out what your preorder for March is. Duh.

Eclipse seems to be the flavour of the month. I haven't played it, but watched a game at the last TABScon and it appeared pretty bad ass. So it gets my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah Eclipse looks great! I really like the fact I've heard it is like Through the Ages in space.

Yet I don't know where to find a copy? I believe I saw somewhere you could preorder it again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakinney wrote:
Where can I find a copy? I think every vendor I looked at said it was not in stock.

We got asses in Iowa, they're just corn-fed and bigger than most.

Yeah, it may be hard to find.

My wife and I also like Glen More. Not too heavy, but a lot of fun. Plays 2 with a dummy player but works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Heath
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You had 2 of the 3 games I was thinking of. Where in the world is Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage. If you like Washington's War, but want a game that feels a bit more epic, this is your game.

As to where to pick this game up, you're on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "A Few Acres of Snow" looks excellent, go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakinney wrote:

Yeah Eclipse looks great! I really like the fact I've heard it is like Through the Ages in space.

Yet I don't know where to find a copy? I believe I saw somewhere you could preorder it again?

It's on pre-order at all retailers right now. As well, there are a couple of copies on the BGG marketplace, and a smattering of americans trading it if you don't want to wait.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Jeff

I looked at your wishlist and I will put in a good word for 2 games: Jamaica and Power Grid. I don't know if you have played either, but I think they are both a lot of fun.

Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Jerry, I do need to get Power Grid at some point. Jamaica looks good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Højslet
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should pick Eclipse, sadly I haven't tried it yet, but damn it looks awesome Really enjoy the decisions to be made in the game and luckily a friend got it in the mail. Cant wait to play it for the first time.

Feels like the game is being loved by a lot of games, just look at the jump it made on BBG's top 100 list - Compared to how new it is.

Another game you should consider is Agricola (If you already have it, then never mind this). Played it for the first time tonight, and can't wait to get time to open it again...

Hope you can use this.

/hug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff! Looking over your game collection it seems you and I have similar tastes. I love CDGs too. I would recommend Wellington since it seems like you enjoy the Napoleonic period. Good game and picked it up for only $22 on Fairplaygames.com. Another CDG, but in the Helenistic Age, that I would recommend is Sword of Rome. The latest edition comes with the 5th player expansion and each power plays differently like you noted in Here I Stand. Picked this up back in November from miniaturemarket.com for $37. I'm looking forward to some more plays of these myself.

A game on your wishlist that I would also recommend is Battletech. Change of pace - futuristic space empire wargame with different mechanics. Absolutely great game. Check out my comments on the game for more. You should be able to find the Intro Box Set just about anywhere for about $30.

You may want to think twice about Eclipse. It is a good game but for someone like you who is used to meatier wargames, you may be disappointed. It may leave you feel like wanting more than the game can offer.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue is always the answer, now to find a copy for less than a house payment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rasmus,

Thanks for your reply. I will look harder to find a copy of Eclipse. I may end up just having to pre-order one.

Thanks again,

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,

Our collections are more alike than you know. I already own Wellington and Sword of Rome. I picked up the deluxe version of Sword when it was recently reprinted.

Battletech, I remember slightly from college. I remember it was a good game. I will look into it. You say the starter kit is the way to go?

Thanks for the recommendations,

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schoeters
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the listed games, Eclipse is pretty awesome, but while it has a conflict component, I wouldn't call it a war game per se. You can wage war and win, but there are plenty of other ways to win as well. Nonetheless, if you like space empires and stuff, this one is great without taking half a day like Twilight Imperium 3. I won't lie: I'm a fan.

If you decide to get Eclipse, you may run into some trouble finding it lately, at least not at a good price. (There seems to have been quite a bit of hoarding) A second printing is coming out, but the publisher doesn't expect it to come out until the end of May at the earliest.

In the war game genre, I really like War of the Ring (First Edition). It has pretty cool mechanics, plays best with two, and comes with a bunch of pl... miniatures that look pretty cool.

In the strategy genre; Race for the Galaxy is something I like very much, although it is card-based and therefore has an element of luck (your draws) tied to it. It plays really good with two, and it requires you to build a good strategy of cards working together. Another nice card game is Citadels, but it only really plays well with 4 players and up. Each round, starting with the player who is king, you pick a character for that round. You've got a murderer who can murder another character and therefore make the player that chose it (if there is one!) lose a turn, a thief, and so on. Your goal is to build the biggest and most valuable city (8 cards).

Finally, I've heard some good things about Hive, but I haven't played it yet. It's strictly 1 versus 1 and some people consider it "the new chess", seeing as you have chess in your collection, it might be worth checking that out, though I wouldn't buy the hype until you've seen the game in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff

Yes, the Intro Box is a good start. Included in the kit are about 20 or so plastic minis, two hex maps, dice, a basic rulebook, and an information book which gives background and flavor on the Battletech Universe. Everything you need to learn and play the game.

If you find you want to delve deeper into the game, then I suggest picking up the lastest rule compendium called Total Warfare. This book will expand on unit types such as tanks, infantry, and spacecraft, and will expand the basic rules a bit too.

You could also pick-up pdf versions of just about all that's ever been released for Battletech at www.battlecorps.com for a few bucks each.

BTW, thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Your welcome, and thank you for the information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.