Popular Tags: [View All]
amurobo
Canada
Markham
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, I'm planning to host a board game night soon in a Christian organization. They opened their place for us to play games. Ultimately, we do hope to out reach the community not only provide a place for them to have fun through this hobby, but also hope that through this events, they can learn more about Christian and bring them to Jesus.

As for the gaming events - I'm not sure how to do it "right" - I hope to seek some suggestions from the you guys!

Here is my current idea right now, I copied part of this idea from a board game cafe (Snake and Latte):

- There will be a table of games, people can just come and get games they want to play whoever they like.
- We will encourage people who come to bring games if there are specific games they want to play
- We will encourage people to play with people they don't know too to meet new people
- We will prepare some snack and drinks as well
- There will be a "game master" who walk around to teach people games

We are looking at about 20-30 people for this game night. If successful, we hope to continue this on a regular bases.

Please help me with some suggestions on what I can do better, any area I need to be careful about, if there are anything that's not necessary?

Another question I have is, when new comer come in, how can I assign introduce them to a group when all other groups has started a game already? I do hope they feel welcome and friendly.

Thanks "so" much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a small thing, but name tags even among people who know each other is helpful.

Otherwise your list is a good one.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Crane
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are planning on having 20-30 people show up, one game master to teach rules may not be enough. Perhaps take a few people you know can teach a game, have them set it up and encourage newcomers to take a seat at one of the games that catches their eye?

As far as latecomers joining games already in progress, I would suggest having a few games that are quick to play going on. That way people can get up and switch to another game or if someone comes late, they can easily join on the next round. Honestly, I find I am more comfortable trying a new game if I see a round or two played first.

Best of luck to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Meetup.com. Not only useful for organizing events to new people, but you can contact existing organizers for tips. Who knows, maybe there's already a group you can work with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Paradis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well the best format I have seen is usually to have one new game master. Don't force splitting up groupes unless they are ver large. So if 2-3 person come together try to find a 6 player game so they can meet other people and still play together.

Try to know how to explain the rules clearly and quickly. Favor games that last a maximum of 1h30 and try to think of a way to have enought people finishing at the same time, but not too many.

Have a few 2 player games just in case some people arrive late. This way they can have some fun while waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assume 4-5 people per game, so 20-30 people is 4-7 tables. Plus one if your GMs are not part of that 20-30

You need that many game masters, for sure. If you can get people to commit to bringing their games and teaching, great, they're GMs now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amurobo
Canada
Markham
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much guys for all these great ideas! Very appreciated! thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our local games library does something similar twice a year. What we do is prepare a couple of tables with a different game setup on each of them and one of us to explain it. That way people can just sit down and start playing. When they are done they can go to a different table.

Because like others said. If you're expecting lots of people that are new to gaming one game master is not gonna be enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do an annual game party for kids that gets to about that size and where people trickle in and out.

Two things that have helped us have been to have some simple and fun dexterity games for the newcomers (to watch or play) -- Click Clack Lumberjack, Animal Upon Animal, Le Passe-Trappe -- and also to have the rules for some simple games -- (No Thanks!, Wildlife Safari, Can't Stop, Ubongo, Snatch, and A to Z -- written out on index cards, so that people can teach themselves.

We also try to do a few big-group games mid-party to bring everyone together. Successes include 25 Words or Less: People, Places and Things Edition, Catch Phrase!, Reverse Charades and Eat Poop You Cat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.