Popular Tags: [View All]
kred raiders
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the latest rulebook it states:

Íf another rider is on his original space then he is moved backwards to the next empty space in that lane

However 2 paragraphs further on it states:

If another rider occupies the space the dismounted rider is placed in another space either parallel to or behind his original empty space.
Although the diagram has positions marked for Rider 43 for A, B, C D, E, F G and H there is no confirmation that this refers to this particular rule.

Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinderkopke
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are correct. It just means you have to keep looking for an empty space until you find one, and then place the dismounted rider there.

However, I think the whole "dismounted rider" rule is still a bit silly, so Rob Bontenbal admitted himself, last time I saw him. A better rule (cf. PRO rules) is to allow everybody to move at least 1 square ahead each turn, if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An even better rule would then be to say that everybody moves 1 space plus their move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kred raiders
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry. Are you suggesting that instead of dismounting and not moving ahead, the idea would be for the rider to move just one space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I see it, that is precisely what Kinderkopke suggest.
Which I find even more silly than the original rule. It is bad enough to roll badly, but even more annoying to find that someone rolling even worse than yourself automaticly moves one space like yourself.

The game is a fun game full of dice roll, which unavoidedly means lots of luck. being forced of your bike is fun, and not being able to get back on to your bike when the peloton is filling the road is both realistic and fun (for the others).

It is quite common to see a biker in the ditch having to wait for other riders to pass before be able to mount his bike again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinderkopke
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sorry. Are you suggesting that instead of dismounting and not moving ahead, the idea would be for the rider to move just one space.

Yes.

Contrary to what Mik Svellov suggests, professional riders dismounting is just NOT very realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisRoubaix wrote:
Contrary to what Mik Svellov suggests, professional riders dismounting is just NOT very realistic.

Really?
This is just one of many examples from the real life:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinderkopke
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my aim is not to engage in sterile polemics, but I maintain that real life examples are rather scarce. Apart from mechanical problems or a fall, modern riders NEVER get off their bikes because the climb is too steep.

As for the game, just do the maths : if you're on a -5 square, you must roll at least 6 to advance, which fails to be the case in appr. 30% of all normal dice rolls. That just seems odd to me, but if you like it that way, fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Coppenolle
Belgium
flag msg tools
Kinderkopje, are you in the North of France? Maybe we can meet for a game :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bass
United States
Groton
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this thread about dismounting:

Drafting and dismounting

I think the conflicting rules problem is an issue with the English rules translation, and that the original German rules don't say anything about lane changes (placement in a parallel space) after dismounting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinderkopke
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Saw this thread about dismounting:

Drafting and dismounting

I think the conflicting rules problem is an issue with the English rules translation, and that the original German rules don't say anything about lane changes (placement in a parallel space) after dismounting.

The original rules aren't German, but Dutch (Homas Tour version 1979), and they clearly state that a dismounted rider (silly rule ) must be placed on "the best available spot" at the end of the turn. The interpretation of "best available spot" is as follows: first the original square, of course, and the square on the same horizontal one / two / three to the left; if still no square available then one lane back at the right, etc.
In a curve, the furthest available square, knowing that right is further than left. So a rider must (!) change lanes and cross a thick black line when getting back on his bike.

Hope this is clear.

And I still think the PRO rule where every rider advances at least 1 square per turn, regardless, is an improvement to the original rules. and even Rob Bontenbal, the author, agrees with me. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.