Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Cuba» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cuba Rules Compendium - A Compilation of Ambiguities, Mistranslations and Easy-to-miss Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Cuba [+] [View All]
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
I’ve played Cuba 5 times now, and after each game, I discovered there were some rules which I had misunderstood or just plain missed. While Cuba is a good game, its rules are a little problematic, as they have a number of ambiguities and mistranslations. After going through the rules forum for Cuba and its El Presidente expansion, I’ve compiled some of the more notorious rules which are commonly misunderstood, missed or simply contentious in their interpretation. This is to help players who are new to the game and looking for a quick FAQ for the game.

Please note that this is just an unofficial rules compendium. Particularly, the rules highlighted in red are contentious due to ambiguity and lack of an official ruling, and therefore are interpreted according to a public consensus. Until official rulings are released, it would probably be the best to get your group to agree on those rules (or any proposed variant) before the game begins so that there are no rules disputes as the game goes on.

Feel free to suggest more rules which you think are appropriate.

General
Game setup
The 25 buildings can be arranged in any order on the board. The setup provided by the rulebook is just a suggestion to help players in easily identifying the various types of buildings.
The game starts off with 2 statutes already put into force - the ‘2 peso tax’ and the ‘Citrus duty’.
Players take the free products and resources in order of the players’ positions, i.e. the starting player takes the free products and resources first, etc.
The two free products and resources chosen at the start of the game may be identical or different, e.g. a player may choose 2 wood, or 1 wood and 1 stone.
The two free products taken at the start of the game are placed in the players’ lots, and not in the pre-built Warehouse.

Starting player
In the base game, the player whose 4th played card has the highest value in the action phase becomes the new starting player. In case of a tie, the player who played the card most recently (i.e., the later one in the current turn order) becomes the new starting player.
The new starting player is decided before the parliament phase and takes effect beginning the parliament phase.

Stock
If the general stock runs out of a particular resource, product or good, and a player uses some way to obtain that particular resource, product or good from the stock, then that player gets nothing. In other words, the general stock is finite and players have to wait for the general stock to be refilled.

Terminology
Players often get the terms mixed up due to how similar the terms may seem:
Resources refer to stone, wood and water
Products refer to tobacco, sugar and citrus
Goods refer to cigars and rum
Merchandise refer to both products and goods, i.e. tobacco, sugar, citrus, cigars and rum

Action Phase
Action Cards
You may choose to play a character card and not use its action, i.e. you pass your turn. [Relevant thread]

Architect
You may build construct a building anywhere on your board, except on top of the pre-built Warehouse and other current existing buildings.
You can construct a building at the spot where your Worker is currently standing.
You can only construct one building a turn when using the Architect, regardless of whether you have sufficient resources to construct a second building. [Relevant thread]

Foreman
The foreman either activates all buildings in the same row and column that the worker is currently standing in, or activates one building of your choice anywhere on the board. [Relevant thread]
The foreman does not have the ability to move the worker around. That can only be done using the Worker card.

Tradeswoman
When using her primary ability, you are allowed to buy and sell merchandise at the same time.
When using her alternative ability of getting a free product from the stock, always remember that you can only take the product which is the cheapest on the market. If there is a tie for the cheapest product, you can pick which of the products you want.
Even if the market for all 3 products is completely empty, you may still use her alternative ability to take 1 product of your choice from the stock. [Relevant thread]

Worker
The worker may be moved to any one of the 12 squares in the plantation grid on the board. There are no restrictions in the number of spaces the worker can move.
The worker can stand on any of the 12 squares in the plantation grid, including on top of buildings and the pre-built Warehouse.
The worker obtains all resources and a maximum of 2 products from the row and column he is currently standing in.
The worker does not obtain any resource or product from a field which is covered by a building.
If the spot where the worker is standing can net you 3 products, you still have to choose 2 products out of the 3 that you want to get. In this scenario, you may choose to trade in 1 Water resource cube to get the 3rd product you missed out on. Note that you may not use the Water resource cube to make a field produce twice. You will just get the product from the field you missed out on. [Relevant thread]

Parliament Phase
When there is a tie between 2 or more players for the highest amount of votes, the players involved bid once more. During the second bid, assume that all bidding players are tied (i.e. reset the vote strength to 0). [Relevant thread]
If there is a tie even in the second bid, then the player who is earliest in turn order wins the bid. Take note that the turn order is determined at the end of the Action Phase and is immediately put into effect for the parliament phase.
The player who wins the bid must pass exactly 2 bills; he or she cannot choose to pass 1 bill or no bills at all. [Relevant thread]
The bills which are not passed for that round are taken out of their respective decks. In other words, at the beginning of each round there will be 4 fresh new bills waiting to be passed.

Statute phase
Until a statute is replaced by another statute, it is considered ‘in force’ and will be enforced during the statute phase.
This includes the two Market Acts, whose effects are applied during the statute phase every round (unless they are replaced by another statute). [Relevant threads: 1, 2]
All players are affected and can comply with the new statutes, and not just the player who won the parliament phase.
Players can choose if they want to comply with the tax and/or duty acts currently in force.
Players may only pay for the tax and duty acts once per round. [Relevant thread]
Resolving the statute phase goes like this: starting with the 1st player, players take turns choosing to comply with the current tax act (I). When everybody is done, players take turns choosing to comply with the current duty act (II). The same goes for the current subsidy act (III), and then the current other act (IV) is enforced. (This rule is especially important for the El Presidente expansion, where one of the subsidies rewards players based on their position on the VP track.)

Harbor Act
As long as the Harbour Act is in force, any fully loaded ships immediately leave the harbour. All remaining ships move down one dock, and any empty slots (like the slot for the ship at sea) are filled with ships card from the deck.
If there are any fully loaded ships when the Harbor Act is passed during the parliament phase, they do not leave immediately during the statue phase. They only leave immediately when fully loaded by either the Mayor action or by activating one of the Branch Offices.[Relevant thread]

Buildings
All buildings are available at the start of the game, and you may construct any building as long as the building is still available, and you have the required resources. There is no order in how you should construct buildings, i.e. you don’t need to follow the order of how the buildings are arranged in the setup.

Black market
When activated, the Black Market allows a player to convert 1 merchandise into another 1 merchandise. [Relevant thread]

Buildings which convert resources/products/goods for VP
When activating any of these buildings, you have to return the appropriate resource/product/good from your supply back into the general stock in exchange for VP. [Relevant thread]

Church
The Church’s ability may not be used to veto the same type of bill (I, II, III and IV) for two consecutive turns.

Large branch office
When activated, you may supply a ship with up to 2 pieces of merchandise of the same type and get the according amount of VP.
Variant: You may supply a ship with as many pieces of merchandise of the same type. (The El Presidente expansion introduces ships which have more than 2 slots for the same type of merchandise.)

The merchandise is obtained from your supply, not the general stock.
The ship you are supplying must have the corresponding empty slot(s) for the merchandise you wish to supply it with.
[Relevant threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]

Lighthouse
When activated, you may switch the ship at sea with a ship of your choice from the ship deck.
After switching the ship at sea with a card from the ship deck, put the remaining cards back in their original order, i.e. you do not shuffle or rearrange the cards. You will however, benefit from knowing the upcoming ships in the deck.
Variant 1: You may rearrange the cards in the ship deck to your liking.
Variant 2: Shuffle the ship deck after switching the cards.
[Relevant thread]

Small branch office
When activated, you may supply a ship with 1 piece of merchandise and get the according amount of VP. The merchandise is obtained from your supply, not the general stock.
The ship you are supplying must have a corresponding empty slot for the merchandise you wish to supply it with.

Warehouse
In order to use the Warehouse (including the pre-built one), you need to activate it with your Foreman.
Once activated, you may move as many products as you like from your lot to the Warehouse. However, once the turn is over, you may not store any further products in your Warehouse, i.e. the Warehouse does not remain ‘open’ for the rest of the round. [Relevant thread]
You may move products out from your Warehouse for various reasons (paying duties, shipping etc.) at any point in the game without having to activate the Warehouse.
Once in the Warehouse, the products remain there for the rest of the game until you decide to take them out. [Relevant thread]
The pre-built Warehouse on each player’s board counts as a building. This is important for tax/subsidy/end-game scoring purposes.

Ships
At the end of every round, the ship in the 3rd dock sails off, regardless of its load.
Also, all fully loaded ships in the 1st and 2nd dock also sail off.
All other ship cards are shifted down to fill in the empty slots. The empty slots include the ‘ship at sea’ slot. That way, at the beginning of the each round (except the 1st round), all ship slots will have a ship in them.
When ships sail off, they are put at the bottom of the ship deck (and not discarded). The significance of this is that a player controlling the Lighthouse may opt to choose a ship that has previously sailed off to be switched with the current ship at sea.

El Presidente expansion
‘1 Peso per 10 VP’ Tax
If you have less than 10 VP, you will get 2VP without needing to pay anything. [Relevant thread]

Beach café
The Beach Café does not need to be activated by the Foreman in order to use its effect.
Its effect states that whenever the player chooses to use the secondary effect of the Tradeswoman, Architect or Mayor, that player can still use a secondary effect which has been blocked (i.e. taken by a previous player). This does not mean that the player gets to use both the primary and secondary effect of those roles.
The effect of the Beach Café can be used as many times as the player likes during his or her turn. [Relevant thread]

Lawyer
If you opt to take the Lawyer card, but decide not to use his ability (i.e. you pass), you do not need to pay 1 peso.
The Lawyer and the Foreman may activate the same building during your turn, i.e. the same building will be activated twice.

Overbuilding
You may use the ‘overbuild’ ability to build the same building over the pre-existing building, i.e. you may build a cigar factory over another cigar factory. [Relevant thread]
You may use the ‘overbuild’ ability to build a building over the pre-built warehouse. If you do so, all products currently in the warehouse are moved to the lot. Since the pre-built warehouse costs nothing, you pay in full the cost of the new building + 1 peso. [Relevant thread]

Player order
The new starting player (either the player who takes the Dancer card, or the player after the current starting player) takes effect at the end of the Presidential event phase and before the parliament phase. This is important for Space 4 and Space 6. [Relevant thread]

Ships
The ship which requires wood as cargo counts wood as merchandise. Therefore, the mayor is able to load wood onto the ship, as do the Small and Large Branch Offices. [Relevant thread]

Edited on 22nd June 2014 to include clarification on choosing identical products and resources at the beginning of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job! This game REALLY needs this. I'll read through all of this later, but I read your "contentious" points and I don't have any contentions with them. I definitely plan to print this out and put it in my box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work. It can be confusing.

From memory- not usually a good idea-

a) I think the foreman can as well as you outline just activate one building anywhere on your board.
b) You can't get a free good (cigars or rum) in the market using the alternative use of the tradeswoman.
c) If two players decide to get free products or resources, the first chooses which one they have and the second must have the other.

I'll check these when i have a moment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job you've done there!

SamNzed wrote:
a) I think the foreman can as well as you outline just activate one building anywhere on your board.

IIRC he activates the buildings in the same row and column or
one building anywhere on your board.

SamNzed wrote:
b) You can't get a free good (cigars or rum) in the market using the alternative use of the tradeswoman.
c) If two players decide to get free products or resources, the first chooses which one they have and the second must have the other.

I just checked the german rules and I think, this is wrong. If you chose to use the alternative action of the tradeswoman (so you chose not to sell and/or buy from the market) you either get a resource (stone, wood or water) or a product (tobacco, sugar or citrus; lowest price on market)
for free and then place a black marker on the according field on the board, so that any other player who choses to use the alternative action can only get the other. (Same goes for architect and mayor for their alternative action).
You do not get goods from using the alternative action of the tradeswoman! You get your resource or product from the stock, not from the market!

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:

a) Yes, the Foreman activates all buildings in the row and column OR any one building.
b) Yes, the free item from the market is either a Resource cube or a Product of the type that has the current lowest cost at the market.
c) Each player finishes their turn completely before the next player does anything, so the second player would know that one of the free items had already been chosen. (I'm aware of one game where the players were all choosing role cards simultaneously and then resolving in turn. This is wrong.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can remove the red from the Parliament and Statue phase sections, there is no contention there.

The rules clearly state the tied players buy more votes, so they're buying from their tied position (not 0, but same result anyway). They also clearly state that the four acts I through IV are done each round, in that order. And since they're never removed from the board, only covered up, by definition they apply until covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow_bind wrote:
Lighthouse
When activated, you may switch the ship at sea with a ship of your choice from the ship deck.
You may also rearrange the cards in the ship deck to your liking.
Variant: After switching the ship at sea with a card from the ship deck, shuffle the ship deck.
[Relevant thread]

I question this one. Specifically, I question the ability to rearrange the cards in the deck. We allow the Lighthouse owner to KNOW the order of the next few cards, but not to change them, except for the one he chooses to be At Sea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the replies! I've made some edits to the Foreman and Lighthouse, and removed some rules from the 'contentious' area.

UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
You can remove the red from the Parliament and Statue phase sections, there is no contention there.

The rules clearly state the tied players buy more votes, so they're buying from their tied position (not 0, but same result anyway). They also clearly state that the four acts I through IV are done each round, in that order. And since they're never removed from the board, only covered up, by definition they apply until covered.

Alright, I've removed those rules out from contention. I had a feeling that's how they should be played anyway, but you can never be too sure

Trump wrote:
I question this one. Specifically, I question the ability to rearrange the cards in the deck. We allow the Lighthouse owner to KNOW the order of the next few cards, but not to change them, except for the one he chooses to be At Sea.

I never thought of using the Lighthouse this way. I always thought rearranging the deck made the Lighthouse overpowered and shuffling the deck made it underpowered. The method you propose seems to strike a balance. I've edited this rule to include your method, but included the variants as there is no official ruling on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow_bind wrote:
Trump wrote:

I never thought of using the Lighthouse this way. I always thought rearranging the deck made the Lighthouse overpowered and shuffling the deck made it underpowered. The method you propose seems to strike a balance. I've edited this rule to include your method, but included the variants as there is no official ruling on this.

I always thought "my way" was the way most people played. Hopefully, some more users will chime in as to how they've been playing with the Lighthouse. It seems to me that rearranging the deck is WAY overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
I always thought "my way" was the way most people played. Hopefully, some more users will chime in as to how they've been playing with the Lighthouse. It seems to me that rearranging the deck is WAY overpowered.

Yeah, I don't see any support for re-arranging the deck. The rules never say that, and it doesn't say to shuffle either. It says you *exchange* the current card for one in the deck. That means you take the deck, scan through the cards until you find the one you want, remove it, and place the other ship in its place. While scanning, remember as much as you can/wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorin2001 wrote:
Nice job you've done there!

SamNzed wrote:

IIRC he activates the buildings in the same row and column or
one building anywhere on your board.

SamNzed wrote:

I just checked the german rules and I think, this is wrong. If you chose to use the alternative action of the tradeswoman (so you chose not to sell and/or buy from the market) you either get a resource (stone, wood or water) or a product (tobacco, sugar or citrus; lowest price on market)
for free and then place a black marker on the according field on the board, so that any other player who choses to use the alternative action can only get the other. (Same goes for architect and mayor for their alternative action).
You do not get goods from using the alternative action of the tradeswoman! You get your resource or product from the stock, not from the market!

Happy gaming!

We're in agreement- Although your language is more precise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newman
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome clarifications! Thank you very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Very helpful! Would you consider uploading this to the files section for easier printing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
garygarison wrote:
Very helpful! Would you consider uploading this to the files section for easier printing?

Second this. Gary is spot on. This is very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the responses guys! After a few minor edits and spelling corrections, a no-frills print version of this compendium is now available in the files page: Just click here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Linsey
United States
Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent job, Darryl. You've done many of us a great service here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Linares

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
Who wins if two players end up tied in VPs, and both have no money?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Duvodas wrote:
Who wins if two players end up tied in VPs, and both have no money?

It's not found in the rules, but I'm guessing that the tying players rejoice in a shared victory. Of course, a duel would be far more interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Linares

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies.

Another question: when you buy votes in parliament and there is a tie, do you lose the money which you used to buy votes the first time, and try to buy votes the second time with additional money? Or do you not lose the money and get to use it again when voting for the second time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me (but see here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2365279#2365279), but we play that you also lose the pesos spent during the first bid. This acts as an incentive to not be too stingy and rather spend enough cash to get the vote majority in the first voting round!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Linares

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
Yeah, I have been playing that way, too; that is, losing your money after the first bid. But I still wanted to make sure that there was not some rule that says you couldn't do that. Thanks for your response.

And yet another question, which I didn't see addressed on this thread: Does the warehouse on your plantation board count as a building at the end of the game (gives you 2 VPs)? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Duvodas wrote:
Another question: when you buy votes in parliament and there is a tie, do you lose the money which you used to buy votes the first time, and try to buy votes the second time with additional money? Or do you not lose the money and get to use it again when voting for the second time?

Again, this is not explicitly stated in the rules, but I believe that all players should pay all the money they used in the first round of bidding prior to the second round of voting if there is a tie. Imagine if during a bidding round, Player A bid 4 pesos, while Players B and C bid 5 pesos each. If we follow your latter interpretation of the rules, Player A would have to pay his 4 pesos, while Players B and C have the option of not bidding anything in the 2nd round, and keeping the 5 pesos they bid earlier to themselves. That wouldn't seem very fair.

Duvodas wrote:
Does the warehouse on your plantation board count as a building at the end of the game (gives you 2 VPs)?

Ah, I did deal with this one. Under the rules for Buildings: Warehouse, I wrote "The pre-built Warehouse on each player’s board counts as a building. This is important for tax/subsidy/end-game scoring purposes." I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Linares

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
shadow_bind wrote:
Ah, I did deal with this one. Under the rules for Buildings: Warehouse, I wrote "The pre-built Warehouse on each player’s board counts as a building. This is important for tax/subsidy/end-game scoring purposes." I hope that helps!

Thanks for the answers! And yeah, the answer to my Warehouse question was already there. Like I said, I didn't see it (guess I skipped over it too fast).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are very clear on buying votes, there is no doubt on this question.

Quote:
All money invested in votes is given to the stock. Everybody has to pay what he bid, even if he could not get a majority.

Everyone in the first round gives up their money. If a second vote round is needed, the tied players again give up all their money spent afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.