Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies for delaying the announcement, but for those of you interested in a day of gaming with the Wellington games community I can announce the Waitangi Wellycon one day event this Saturday the 4th of Feb. Doors open at 10am and admission will remain $5 per person or $15 per family.

Our weekend convention is later in the year over Queens Birthday, but to keep your interest over summer we are hosting a one day gaming day at the Hutt Bridge Club, 1 Park Ave, Lower Hutt.

As always there will be a good sized library of games to fall back on if needed, but we encourage you to bring your latest and greatest titles to share with others.

The lower Hutt venue is well situated near the waterloo station and I believe the Valley flyer stops almost outside aswell, so if you need transport there are plenty of options. But there is plenty of free parking, on site and street side for cars. Some takeaways are available within walking distance as is a diary, but if you have transport then all of Lower Hutt central is open to you for food.

This years venue is a big step up on Thistle Hall (where we did the one dayer last year) for size and facilities, so please vote with your feet and join us for the Waitangi Wellycon. Got a question, then geekmail or email me at wellycon@gmail.com.

See you there.
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:
My apologies for delaying the announcement, but for those of you interested in a day of gaming with the Wellington games community I can announce the Waitangi Wellycon one day event this Saturday the 4th of Feb. Doors open at 10am and admission will remain $5 per person or $15 per family.

Our weekend convention is later in the year over Queens Birthday, but to keep your interest over summer we are hosting a one day gaming day at the Hutt Bridge Club, 1 Park Ave, Lower Hutt.

As always there will be a good sized library of games to fall back on if needed, but we encourage you to bring your latest and greatest titles to share with others.

The lower Hutt venue is well situated near the waterloo station and I believe the Valley flyer stops almost outside aswell, so if you need transport there are plenty of options. But there is plenty of free parking, on site and street side for cars. Some takeaways are available within walking distance as is a diary, but if you have transport then all of Lower Hutt central is open to you for food.

This years venue is a big step up on Thistle Hall (where we did the one dayer last year) for size and facilities, so please vote with your feet and join us for the Waitangi Wellycon. Got a question, then geekmail or email me at wellycon@gmail.com.

See you there.
Andrew

you mean the end of this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Andy, that's pretty short notice. Sounds good, though. I'll be along later after the Martinborough Fair in the morning. Hopefully not too many gamers are at the Sevens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Good news to have the details.

We will have 5+ coming.

Have some games to share and keen to meet some new and familiar faces over a game.

@ Andrew - Happy to volunteer for the 9:30 setup, be 2-3 of us that can help out.

Regards,

Gordon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan McAlpine
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
a good game!
badge
a good game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame it was such short notice. I will probably be coming for the morning but I am busy in the afternoon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're in Napier sorry, we'll play a tribute game over there for yahs though hmmm would it count if we skyped in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
From our group and associates we have 8 confirmed so far. Not sure how many others coming or the other smaller groups here are coming.

Bringing with us some not so common games from the last years Wellycons:

*Airlines Europe
*Carson City
*Torres
*Cuba
*Settlers of the Stone Age
*Acquire
*Forbidden Island (with the expansion from Arts Cow, very cool)
*Carcassone the City
*Ra: The dice game
*The Resistance
*Leaping Lilly Pads
*Race for the Galaxy (with some expansions)
*Guillotine
*Assorted fillers

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Adamson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say thanks for another excellent day of gaming!

Thanks especially to Minty and Sam for lending their copy of Power Grid and
learning it with us, and to whoever brought Race for the Galaxy...now my son wants to buy the Rebel vs. Imperium expansion ...

Sharon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Adamson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PS...having now actually read the previous posts (blush) it looks like I should be thanking Gordon for RftG--sorry we didn't meet you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Sharon, glad you enjoyed introducing your son to RftG, wanted to play but got caught up.

Also like to thank Andrew & crew, very nice venue, much better than Thistle Hall, and apart from parking probably better overall than Massey.

I did not get in as many games as I would have liked, nor all that I liked, so goes gaming. Thanks to Eric for teaching our family Glen More, really liked that.

Had a great game of Airlines Europe teaching it with Eric. Colin, Leon and ???. I pulled out a win from a slowly revealed stock portfolio to takeover 3 airlines. It was full of laughter and such as the Luftwaffe, I mean Lufthanssa took over Poland and central Europe.

Next I got into teaching Carcassonne The City with Adrianne, Simon & Ewen, another great lightly played game with many shadows of competitive play. I think I had 3 converts walk away from a very intense 3rd round where the games score changed by the second. Revealed that it is the real heavy strategy Carcassonne game with alot of depth.

Next was Carson City with 3 newbies, Dale, Tony & Leon, and 2 of us having played, Ian and I. It was a fiercely fought battle with some massive armed brawls by the 4th round. I came from a distant 2nd to last one the fourth and last round to take the win using massive economic power to win.

Later on a introduced/ran Forbidden Island with the expansion and we had a very nail biting game with Sonna-Ra, Anna, Colin & Blair, with Phil joining us as a extra co-team-mate. It ran down to the wire as players battled the unusual Island, some serious sinking problems, and elusive treasure cards. Good use was made of the expanded roles and options.

Lastly I taught Guillotine to Sonna-Ra, Anna & Phil, a nice way to end the day and again introduced newbies to a great little card game.

Great to catch up with some people, good to meet others and share a game.

Thanks,

Gordon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Andrew, the venue was very comfortable and could handle a few more people, but maybe not as many as the full Wellycon requires. The bakery was great!

Aside from Glen More and Airlines Europe mentioned by Gordon I played
- Dominion with 3 new players
- Alien Frontiers
- Castle Panic
- Downfall of Pompeii
- King of Tokyo &
- Ghost Stories

Great stuff, thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoyed the venue, just right for this sort of event. I managed lot play quite a few games this time round due to Peter's generosity. Started with a little Troyes, added a game of hansaa tuetonica, eased into Glen More and finished with a couple of games of Innovation. Quite a satisfying day.

Thanks for all the support I was wrapped with the turnout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:
Really enjoyed the venue, just right for this sort of event. I managed lot play quite a few games this time round due to Peter's generosity. Started with a little Troyes, added a game of hansaa tuetonica, eased into Glen More and finished with a couple of games of Innovation. Quite a satisfying day.

Thanks for all the support I was wrapped with the turnout.

Glad you gotto get some games under the belt, Andrew!

It sounds like yet another successful Wellycon event with people more than willing to teach games to people.

What sort of turn out did you have? And did you manage to take any photos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remembered Andrew - I didn't pay anything and owe you $5. Remind me next time we meet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we had about 70 which is comparable with last year and consistent with the events. Noticeably it was probably 90 percent regulars, so there wasn't a lot of hues blood. Still we'll have a little more notice for the main event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:
I think we had about 70 which is comparable with last year and consistent with the events. Noticeably it was probably 90 percent regulars, so there wasn't a lot of hues blood. Still we'll have a little more notice for the main event.

That's a huge turn out, given the short notice! Well done! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruce freestone
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will also weigh in with thanks to Andrew for organising this event. Managed to teach a game and learn four new ones which were:

King of Tokyo - easy to learn, quick to play with engaging monster theme
Pompeii - it felt good throwing players into the volcano
Alien Frontiers - need to play this again to appreciate the full richness
Ghost Stories - we were soundly beaten by scary wraiths

All this was up a great day of gaming and an appetiser for the main event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan McAlpine
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
a good game!
badge
a good game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry I couldn't make it in the end, it sounded like a good day of gaming. I am definitely coming to the next one later in the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.