Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. In the rules for placing action tokens, I am curious about timing and how it's done.

As the rules state, each player takes turns rolling the dice and placing tokens into the boxes. Then, after all players have placed token, they are arranged in order from highest to lowest.

So, do all players place tokens in the action box areas, even if it means there are more tokens than there are boxes (afterwards, they are arranged and the lowest values are dropped)? Or, if an action box is not available, players are not allowed to place a token?

Ex: player 1 places a 2 point token into craftiness. player 2 places a 1 point token into craftiness. Player 3 then rolls 3 points in craftiness. Does he place his token there, overriding the others? Or, does the 3 point token get lost since there are no spaces available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The Actions token should be arranged as each player rolls.

Therefore, the order will be constantly updated, breaking ties, as the players take their turns - so even if the action boxes are full and the active player rolls enough icons to bump another player's token, that happens immediately at the end of their turn. The rules below Placing Hero Action Tokens, A Note About Breaking Ties addresses this to some extent, but I can see where it can be missed or misunderstood.

The statement about "if no space is available", means that all boxes for the Action are full and your roll is not high enough to bump another player's token to the right.

So, do all players place tokens in the action box areas, even if it means there are more tokens than there are boxes (afterwards, they are arranged and the lowest values are dropped)? Or, if an action box is not available, players are not allowed to place a token?

As stated above, each player places their tokens in the boxes at the end of their turn, bumping tokens they exceed in icons down (to the right) and off the action if there are more tokens than available boxes.

Example 1: Player one places a 2 point token into craftiness. player two places a 1 point token into craftiness. Player three then rolls 3 points in craftiness.

Does player 3 place his 3 token, overriding the others? Or, does the 3 point token get lost since there are currently no spaces available?

In the Example above, player three places his 3 token[/b] and bumps the others to the right, with the 1 token of player two being bumped totally off the action.

Example 2: The Treasure Actions have a 3 token by the Red Player, a 2 Token by the Green Player and a 1 Token by the Blue player on the boxes. The last player (Yellow) is rolling and their final roll includes 3 Treasure icons. They are tied with the first player (and it could be any player already on the action before them)so they would place their 3 Yellow token on the 2nd box of the Treasure Actions bumping the Green 2 Token to the last action box and the blue token off the Action (returned to the blue player). Note: If they had only rolled 1 Treasure icon, they would not have been able to place it as the Blue 1 Token on the path was equal, and therefore since it was already in place held the position.

The key rule is that the highest numbers go on the board, lower numbers bumped right - the boxes are not restricted to the first players that place token on them, only restricted to the highest numbers. In order to bump a previous placed token, the active player must exceed the number as previous placed numbers win ties.

Thanks for your interest - Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the quick response...I guess what added to my confusion was the warrior (?) card that lets the warrior play before player #1. It just didn't seem as useful to go first if any token placed can just be bumped by anyone with a larger #...but, I guess it helps the warrior win the ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The advantages of going first is that players that follow must exceed your number to bump you down the track. Going first usually gains the player a good position on the action they want do most, not always, but usually.

I am already compiling an FAQ, and hope to have it posted in a couple of weeks. Your question will be on the FAQ.

Thanks for your interest and I hope you enjoy the game. Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooooh we were playing that once a track was full, no one else could go there. In retrospect, the correct rules make more sense. I doubt it affected our games too much but this is good to know for the future.

Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seqiro wrote:
Oooooh we were playing that once a track was full, no one else could go there. In retrospect, the correct rules make more sense. I doubt it affected our games too much but this is good to know for the future.

Thanks for the clarification!

Agreed - I'm glad I read this post, as I was interpreting it the same way you did just from reading the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.