Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Sandbach
United Kingdom
Uttoxeter
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Hi there

I and 8 or 9 other guys have set up a collective tabletop gaming blog. We've only been going a couple of weeks but are settling into a decent rhythm so far, though we need to source more news and stuff like that - lots of it is just opinion pieces right now.

Obviously, BGG provides all of us with a fantastic resource from which to draw inspiration in many different ways, but we were chatting about how we could potentially drive traffic to our site from here.

Obviously we could and will try to get involved in the community here as and when we have time, but really want to avoid obnoxious spam posts where we shout "HEY WE DONE WROTE SOMETHING ABOUT THIS". Which would be all kinds of shittiness, really.

So I wanted to check, out of courtesy for everyone who runs and is involved in the place, what the best or most acceptable way to do this may be?

Do we duplicate session write ups underneath a games listing? Is there a central discussion area we could start a specific thread about the site? Should we just get lost and die now?

Genuine questions, I don't want to piss anyone off or step out of line, but I've not been into boardgame or BGG for long enough to understand the protocol of this community.

Thanks in advance for your help.

p.s. Putting it right here are the bottom in case you need to check it out to answer the question, the site is http://www.cautionsmallparts.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't be that much extra effort to just repost your blog here, I'd imagine.

You'd get people who cared to check out your site, probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Which would be all kinds of shittiness, really.

poetic.

Yup your goal is understandable it give you more control and power - not to mention the fantasy add revenue if it kicks off.

What you are allowed to do:
a single post in the forum press releases.

What lots of folk do and what tends to be ignored by the admin:
At the end of your post put a link to your site, with a single line eg. Lots more content here.

Overall I'm against this as if everyone did it BGG would be much impoverished but it's not my move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Sandbach
United Kingdom
Uttoxeter
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Thanks, I appreciate both of you taking the time to answer. I know how intrusive it is for people to come barging in to tell you about something they should look at now.

monkeyhandz wrote:

Yup your goal is understandable it give you more control and power - not to mention the fantasy add revenue if it kicks off.

What you are allowed to do:
a single post in the forum press releases.

What lots of folk do and what tends to be ignored by the admin:
At the end of your post put a link to your site, with a single line eg. Lots more content here.

Overall I'm against this as if everyone did it BGG would be much impoverished but it's not my move

So the single post would be a kind of "Hey, we've launched!" thing and then left to drop off as new posts are made? Makes sense in terms of keeping the place tidy, I wonder how I can keep people aware of new posts or features though. I wouldn't want to spam the folder every day with our latest updates.

The main driver was partly control and power, and also ease of access for newcomers. Having only got back into boardgames last year I found even the encyclopaedic knowledge here difficult to penetrate. If we ever get ad revenue that'd be great, but we're on cheap hosting and just writing for fun right now, so I can't really say we're bothered about that.

Thanks again guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you do anything I would run it past Octavian, who will be able to tell you exactly what is and is not permitted, and help you get up and running.

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

This site has blogs as well, so you could set one up ond repost, or link out to your external blog. Not sure what the norm is as I don't relly follow them, but again Octavian can advise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Sandbach
United Kingdom
Uttoxeter
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Awesome, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.