Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven F
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Part I
Assume I have the orc-king and 2 clans on the board, all within a 3 space marching distance to the ranger elf.
I want to attack the elf on my turn with all my forces.

On my turn, can I move my king and my 2 clans so they are all adjacent to the elf, then resolve each of my 3 combats?
Or
do I move one of my clans so its adjacent to the elf, complete that combat, then move my second clan so it gets adjacent to the elf, resolve that second combat, then finally move my orc-king so it gets adjacent to the elf and resolve that third combat.

PartII

If an orc squad wraps around elf position so that more than one orc is adjacent to the elf does this effect combat?

Does the orc clan still get just one attack per the orc players turn?
If orcs lose card duel, who choses which orc in squad gets killed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hansell
United States
Rocklin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
manko wrote:
On my turn, can I move my king and my 2 clans so they are all adjacent to the elf, then resolve each of my 3 combats?
Or
do I move one of my clans so its adjacent to the elf, complete that combat, then move my second clan so it gets adjacent to the elf, resolve that second combat, then finally move my orc-king so it gets adjacent to the elf and resolve that third combat.

The rules state "If an Orc Clan is broken into multiple Squads, all Squads must move at the same time. If one Squad moves and takes an action before the other Squads have moved, the other Squads may not move this turn."

This does NOT specifically state that all clans must move at the same time. I believe that our standard interpretation was the first choice that all clans, squads and the king all move at the same time.

manko wrote:
If an orc squad wraps around elf position so that more than one orc is adjacent to the elf does this effect combat?

No - only one orc from each squad needs to touch the target. It is best if you can get multiple squads touching the same target with only one unit touching the target. This can reduce the elves ability to hurt the squad.

manko wrote:
Does the orc clan still get just one attack per the orc players turn?

Yes - Each clan gets and the king each get one exclusive action.

manko wrote:
If orcs lose card duel, who choses which orc in squad gets killed?

The elf player chooses the orc (it has to be in range).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven F
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ok
You've played it that orcs (king, clans) all move at the same time.

But is it allowable to play the sequential way as well?
e.g.,
move king to elf, resolve king/elf combat,
move WhiteTusk squad to elf, resolve WT/elf combat (can't move any other WT squads because clan movement allotment has been used),
move BruisedFist squad to elf, resolve BF/elf combat (can't move any other BF squads, ect...)

The rules are vague enough to imply you can do either or - or a mixture of both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hansell
United States
Rocklin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it is up to you how to interpret the rules since they are not definately one way or the other.

What you are suggesting would make the orcs more flexible and thus more powerful. If you find that playing this way makes it impossible for the elves then you can move to the more conservative interpretation of the rules where all orcs have to move at the same time.

As the Orc King I always played that all the orcs move at the same time. We were still mighty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven F
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe the rules are not so ambiguous afterall:

Page 19 Rules:
"On the Orc's players turn, each active Clan gets its own Action phase.
As the Orc player, you must complete one Action phase before beginning the next."

Interpretation:
If you have 2 clans on the board then you have 2 action phases to complete.
Moving clan 1 & attacking with clan 1, represents the first completed action phase.
Moving clan 2 & attacking with clan 2, represents the second completed action phase.

Movement and attacking is done one clan at a time, not simulataneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.