Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an email this am that says at this time April delivery may be a stretch.

"Will the game come out in March? Unfortunately, this is unlikely, and April might be a stretch."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Unfortunate.

As a regular Kickstarter backer, this is not a surprise. 2 Months would be fantastic compared to some other projects whose delivery date went 6-8 months past the original estimate.

The problem with kickstarter is that it is a pre-pre-preorder. A normal pre-order maybe be in place shortly before final printing starts or before the container leaves China (in most cases). This leaves only 2-3 steps for a delay to occur.

For Kickstarter, often it is before artwork is finished, production has been settled, proofs have been sent/approved, etc. Each step adds a potential snag for the delivery date. Add to that D-Day dice's prolific supporter list and numerous rewards, which all had to be produced and ironed out almost on the fly.

Am I disappointed? Sure. Am I surprised considering March was the original estimation? No.

In WWII terms, I do hope it arrives before Victory in Europe Day, but I will settle or Memorial Day or the 68th Anniversary of the D-Day invasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice thing is that you don't really have to worry about it...it is going to show up...and I am sure we all have more than enough games to keep us entertained until then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinese NY sucks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surya wrote:
Chinese NY sucks

But only for the non-Chinese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not surprised, I figured it would be delayed some and I was not expecting to get it in March or even April. With the sheer number of streatch rewards and the number of people kickstarting it, I was expecting sometime in the summer at the earliest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am shocked, shocked, to see delays in a Valley Games project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
I am not. Production problems can happen to any pubisher, that is just the nature of doing business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
JazzFish wrote:
I am not. Production problems can happen to any pubisher, that is just the nature of doing business.

I think you missed the sarcasm, Doug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer to see it done right than done quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it is not delayed as much as my other pre-order: Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the problem with Kickstarter projects (and delays) versus non-Kickstarter games (and delays):

With non-Kickstarter games, we don't hear about the delays. A game is just . . . delayed. Oh sure, the occasional publisher will issue a press release "revising" a game's release date. But more often than not, we get our release dates from stores and from a vague post offering a "Q2 2012 release".

But with Kickstarter projects, the creators -- and rightfully so -- feel they need to stay in communications with their backers (read: pre-order customers) as the project moves along.

And we customers, we backers, we what-have-yous, see that update and moan about delays. And we're not wrong to but the reality is we're getting MORE information rather than less -- and that information is, in a lot of cases, having the adverse affect: instead of being grateful that the developers are including us in the informational loop, we get pissed that another Kickstarter game has been delayed.

Protip: almost every boardgame released in the last couple years has suffered some delay. The difference is, in most cases we weren't aware of it.

I've had a preorder of the K2 expansion holding up a game order since October or November. With no news on that game's projected arrival and almost no information from the publisher on when that might be happening. And that sucks but if it was a Kickstarter project and I knew there'd been a printing delay and that the games were on a ship and now they're being held up in customs for a month . . . at least I'd know what was going on.

TL;DR: this delay is too bad but not remotely unexpected. I will continue to look forward to the game's arrival and I wish the folks behind it all the best luck in getting the games out in a timely fashion. And yes, I'm still Kickstarter-weary but in some ways it is better than the alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damen Parker
Oman
Northampton
Muscat
flag msg tools
Trust me. You know it makes sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Surya wrote:
Chinese NY sucks

The Chinese have a Big Apple? I never knew that.

As for the delays, it is disappointing but it is good the lines of communication are open and honest. And from the status received we are nearly there and it sounds like a quality job.

Cheers
D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hall
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space for rent
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerTrader wrote:
I would prefer to see it done right than done quickly.

This, absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
The last pre-order I did from an established publisher was, in my opinion, a customer service nightmare. The company did not send out any updates to notify us of delays or their reason. Information could only be gleaned from harvesting spotty information from another gaming site the publisher preferred. In a nutshell, I will not pre-order from them again.

I will not name the publisher as this was my only direct experience with them. It could have been a one-off occurrence and normally they're great; however, I doubt it. The game shipped with defective parts. They offered a lame solution, and finally relented to sending out replacements ... which to my understanding, were never sent out. I didn't ask for them because a number of us modded our copies to successfully address the defect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Falch
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalendar wrote:
I am not surprised, I figured it would be delayed some and I was not expecting to get it in March or even April. With the sheer number of streatch rewards and the number of people kickstarting it, I was expecting sometime in the summer at the earliest.

This basically hits the nail on the head. We could never have planned to have had this campaign be as successful as it was (and thanks again to all of you for the success). But just think what you WOULDN'T be getting if we weren't this successful and a little delayed .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Robinson
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of games from Valley Games (Container and Two by Two). They are both well produced and I enjoy them both. I supported D-day dice on Kickstarter with no hesitation. However, I do have a beef with Valley Games and since they don't respond to email questions and they seem to follow this forum I will air it here in the hope of some response.

Some years ago I pre-ordered Big City. That order was cancelled due to 'delays' (no financial loss to me). My beef is that since then, Big City has stayed on their website as a project with absolutely no updates. I believe they have abandoned the project and that is legitimately their decision (however ill-advised I might consider it) but it is well past time that they let potential customers know what is happening.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lenrob49 wrote:
My beef is that since then, Big City has stayed on their website as a project with absolutely no updates. I believe they have abandoned the project and that is legitimately their decision (however ill-advised I might consider it) but it is well past time that they let potential customers know what is happening.meeple

I'd also like to know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cronin
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be VERY happy to receive mine on, or just before, Wednesday June 6th, 2012...keeps very well to the theme, just sayin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.