Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » Variants

Subject: Staying in Tokyo. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Pihl
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well..
It seems so pointless to use dice to attack the monster in Tokyo.
I would like to make a difference in that, so that players is not just trying to roll 3's all the time.

Here's my take on it:
If a monster does NOT attack the monster in Tokyo, with at LEAST 1 damage in his turn, THAT monster takes 1 damage.
This would more or less force the players to attack Tokyo.

Also adding the rule (that someone else posted), that the monster in Tokyo, gains X VP's per turn, instead of 2. Where X is the number of players in total.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the very fact that the monster in Tokyo would earn X victory points based on the number of players in the game is enough to entice them to attack Tokyo, especially in games with 4 or more.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also people will roll claws, there may not be any choice.

I am guessing most of your games are won by points?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pointless to use dice to attack the monster in Tokyo? You must be playing a different game than I am.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamorous Mucus wrote:
It's pointless to use dice to attack the monster in Tokyo? You must be playing a different game than I am.


I agree. The monster in Tokyo in our games hardly survives one round of claws, before he must retreat to heal.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
dbias84 wrote:
I think the very fact that the monster in Tokyo would earn X victory points based on the number of players in the game is enough to entice them to attack Tokyo, especially in games with 4 or more.


It's 2vp per player? I thought it was 2vp total.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
dbias84 wrote:
I think the very fact that the monster in Tokyo would earn X victory points based on the number of players in the game is enough to entice them to attack Tokyo, especially in games with 4 or more.


It's 2vp per player? I thought it was 2vp total.


It is 2vp total, this is just comments on making a variant.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Zyl
South Africa
cape town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dbias84 wrote:
I think the very fact that the monster in Tokyo would earn X victory points based on the number of players in the game is enough to entice them to attack Tokyo, especially in games with 4 or more.


This is not a bad variant idea. Staying a full round in Tokyo with 4-players is particularly brutal. In a 3-player it is much easier, and 2-player, well, is 2-player.

However, one is rewarded 1 VP for just entering Tokyo, so there is incentive to go in, if only until the next player gives you damage. On that note, is it correct to assume that you can only choose to leave Tokyo when you are attacked/damaged? The rulebook seems to suggest this is the case.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rob_vz wrote:
On that note, is it correct to assume that you can only choose to leave Tokyo when you are attacked/damaged? The rulebook seems to suggest this is the case.

Yes you can only leave if hit by another monster. Damage from card play like National Guard doesn't trigger retreat. Monsters only will retreat because of a challenger not pesky humans.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.