Popular Tags: [View All]
James Barnes
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I missed this rule somewhere, please direct me there for future reference.

Is there any reason Ursula Downs may not begin the game at the Strange High house in the mist?
Her investigator sheet says players choice as to where to begin the game (but it must be in any non-other world location).
I feel like I have read somewhere before that this was not possible.
I welcome any suggestions or confirmations.

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never read any prohibitions about her at-start location. You might be thinking of Y'ha nth-lei; but, I haven't even heard she can't start there.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial reaction is, "no she can't start in those places," but then again, maybe she adventurer'd up (down) there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rule book in front of me, but I thought it mentions something about a character can only enter from the street and not any other special way? (or something like that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tazbro wrote:
I don't have the rule book in front of me, but I thought it mentions something about a character can only enter from the street and not any other special way? (or something like that).

But you could make the argument that if she's starting there, she has not entered the space. The rule prohibits, say, going there from Lost in Time and Space, certainly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play that she can't start at Y'ha Nthlei or Devil Reef cause they're special locations- so I apply the same thing to the Strange High House (and the Wireless Station cause it's on the path there)

Then again it would be thematic for her to start at the House...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say yes. However, to get the cards from the House, you need the trophies and she doesn't start with them. Furthermore, for her to get on the main board will take her at least three turns. Similar for Devil's Reef and Y'whatever. She's effectively stranded at those places, and is better off starting at another location (like... the Curiousitte Shoppe?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
tazbro wrote:

Neither of the two locations we're discussing border a street area; although, Y'ha nth-lei does state the only way to enter that location is from Devil Reef or from an OW if there is a gate there. I can't remember if one can enter from LinT&S if there is a gate there or not.

She could start at Y'ha, since she starts at four clues, gambling that Devil Reef will open right up and she can seal.

As someone mentioned, there probably wouldn't be a reason for her to start at High House on the Hill, since there are no clues up there and no gates will open. I don't think it's against the rules, though.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some helpful encounters at the Strange High House. Of course, then it takes several turns to climb back down the Kingsport Head...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.