Subject: General Question about moving large units on tiny squares rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deft Titan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the general rules of thumb for moving large units?

Rex, the shapeshifted druid, and the dragon all sit on pedestals that could take up to 4 squares. However, when playing, I came up with all sorts of questions:

Does it take them more movement points to move around a corner than a smaller unit?

Example:
if Rex is sitting on the [R] tiles and wants to move around the wall [W] tiles to occupy the [X] tiles at the end of his move, how many move points does it take him to get there? It intuitively seems like it would take 4 move points if he moves two squares at a time, but I'm not sure if there are general well-known rules about this sort of thing.

[W][W][W][X][X][ ]
[W][W][W][X][X][ ]
[ ][R][R][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][R][R][ ][ ][ ]

At any time, does a large unit occupy just one little square? or four? This would be important for approaching melee units, as they would have to be adjacent.

On shapeshifting, you transform the druid from a one -quare occupant to a potential four-square occupant. Which four tiles do the angry bear occupy by default?

I think if I can get these questions answered, I can probably answer all the others I have.

Thanks for any help!

My searches of these forums only found questions regarding Rex and lava tiles here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/743772/moving-large-monsters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is 3 steps...

There is something in the rulebook that says to consider th

1 1 square East
2 1 square Northeast
3 1 square North

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deft Titan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!

I still can't find anything in the rulebook about this, do you have a page number reference by chance?

Also, this seems counterintuitive to me a little, mostly because of the diagonal-movement. See below:

Starting position:
[W][W][W][ ][ ][ ]
[W][W][W][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][R][R][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][R][R][ ][ ][ ]

After (1) move point
[W][W][W][ ][ ][ ]
[W][W][W][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][R][R][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][R][R][ ][ ]

After 2 move points
[W][W][W][ ][ ][ ]
[W][W][W][R][R][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][R][R][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

After 3 move points
[W][W][W][R][R][ ]
[W][W][W][R][R][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

I guess I never considered large models moving diagonally because they don't seem to fit like a small model would. I suppose I could go with that. Does anyone else have thoughts on this? I had originally interpreted it that it would take 5 moves to cover the above without the diagonal jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think it's 3 steps:

Edit: I had a scheme of the movement here but it's as the post above and mine was unformatted.

I think the best way to imagine it is to see the center of the figure and make that move 1 space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deft Titan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the more I think about it, the more 3 squares makes sense.

However, I do still have a few large unit movement questions.

1) Are all twelve squares around the four considered adjacent to the unit?

2) If such terrain existed that it left a 1-square wide corridor, I would assume a large unit just could not move through it, and would need to go around or find another way. thoughts?

3) I would think that even though a large unit appears to take 4 squares up, as it moves through spaces like lava, or difficult terrain, if ANY of the four squares touch the lava for that move, then that move must consider the extra terrain rules. This means that even if there were a lone single square of lava in the middle of a big room, if the large unit were to cross over it, it would take two rule-applied moves as the front half and the rear half crossed it. **EDIT** This is actually pretty clear to me on page 13 of the manual.

4) Does anyone have a good scenario for when the druid shapeshifts into the angry bear as to how the squares should be occupied? This is especially relevant if the druid is surrounded by units before he shifts. **EDIT** This is actually very clear on age 18 of the manual. If there's not enough room to shapeshift, the druid can not use the shapeshift action. Also, as long as either shapeshift model occupies at least one of the previous form's model, it's fine.

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) yes
2) yes, and it makes sense, the creature is just to big to fit in that space.
3) you answered it
4) you answered it as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deft Titan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to have a second opinion, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.