Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Dark Horse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Initial setup, Unrevealed resources, "For one die you may..." rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Lofgren
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here are some questions I hope someone can respond to and some suggestions for the next version of the rulebook:

-Initial setup details need clarification:
-Overall, I think the initial setup instructions need to be summarized in a very brief bullet list uncluttered with other details.
-I completely missed the note to place the Game End token on 11 the first time I played, as it was kind of hidden at the end of the paragraph.
-It is not clear if players should get their character card start bonus *in addition to* or *in place of* the base Game Start Bonus.

-It is unclear when players get to look at unrevealed resource hexes. When you place your initial city, do you get to look at the adjacent unrevealed hexes? Or is that only for your second and third cities? If I place my initial railroad so that it touches a corner of an unrevealed resource (or resources), can I peak at that resource?

-Some cards (or maybe it was character abilities) say something like "For one die you may do such-and-such..." Does this mean:
1. Instead of placing one of your dice you may take that action during the placement phase? Do I have to declare which die I am sacrificing at the time I use that ability and set that die aside? Do I still get to place my other die immediately if I use this ability?
OR
2. You take that action instead of collecting on the die during the collection phase?

-There is a typo in the URL for your website in the rulebook.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gondolier wrote:
Here are some questions I hope someone can respond to and some suggestions for the next version of the rulebook:

-Initial setup details need clarification:
-Overall, I think the initial setup instructions need to be summarized in a very brief bullet list uncluttered with other details.
-I completely missed the note to place the Game End token on 11 the first time I played, as it was kind of hidden at the end of the paragraph.
-It is not clear if players should get their character card start bonus *in addition to* or *in place of* the base Game Start Bonus.

I will take a look at streamlining the setup instructions. I like your idea of adding a bullet list with the major points. Yes, players receive both the Game Start Bonus of a free rail, free Wild Die token, and one of each resource, as well as the Character Start Bonus.

gondolier wrote:
-It is unclear when players get to look at unrevealed resource hexes. When you place your initial city, do you get to look at the adjacent unrevealed hexes? Or is that only for your second and third cities? If I place my initial railroad so that it touches a corner of an unrevealed resource (or resources), can I peak at that resource?

This has been captured on the FAQ/Errata sheet that I am working on and was recently answered in this post under number 5.
"Bunch of rules questions (rails, roles, pawns...)"

gondolier wrote:
-Some cards (or maybe it was character abilities) say something like "For one die you may do such-and-such..." Does this mean:
1. Instead of placing one of your dice you may take that action during the placement phase? Do I have to declare which die I am sacrificing at the time I use that ability and set that die aside? Do I still get to place my other die immediately if I use this ability?
OR
2. You take that action instead of collecting on the die during the collection phase?

This is listed on page 11 under Character Cards in the "Note Box" in the middle of the section. Basically, you are placing a die on your Character card to mark/denote its use.

gondolier wrote:
-There is a typo in the URL for your website in the rulebook.

Thank you, I have fixed the URL.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.