Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Mechanema is tired of battle... why is everybody coming for revenge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb

TerranG (0) Hydran (0)

CENTER

TerranR (0) Mechanema (me) (1)

Number in parentheses denotes # of plays before this game.

TerranG had some early success with Explores, finding discovery tiles without Ancients (including the Warp shield), and looked to be an early contender. TerranR and I both came up against a lot of Ancients, and got into upgrading and building ships (we both went into Cruisers). Hydran, unbeknownst to us, had screwed up an Explore, and ended up painting herself into a corner with an Ancient, and had no more room to explore after just 3 hexes.

In the mid-game, I killed an Ancient with a Cruiser each (Positron Computers + Hulls), then after grabbing Neutron Bombs, descended upon Hydran's home hex. Hydran had no chance since her ships were not yet upgraded due to her poor economy. On the next round, TerranG took her other good region, leaving her with just 1 hex, 1 cube and on the brink of extinction. Hydran also performed a lot of actions early where she only did 1 Research (Hydran) and 1 Build, and more experience in the early game would have helped.

I felt bad in wiping her out, and asked her if she'd like to play on, or if she'd like to invoke the mercy rule and let me stamp out the last remnants of her civilization. In the end, going for her last remaining hex didn't look too rewarding anyway with just 1 VP and 1 cube. To her credit, Hydran remained a great sport despite the tough situation, and the whole table cheered when 1 of her last 2 barely-upgraded Cruiser (just had a Gauss Shield, I think) scored a miraculous victory over 2 Ancients, allowing her to Explore once again. She went further out into space and built a long appendage, leaving us to our struggles.

TerranG upgraded his ships, sending a Dreadnought and friends into Hydran's former home area against my 2 Cruisers. I really had no interest in fighting anymore, since I had been lucky with my Reputation tile draws and sat on two 4s and two 3s. Close battle, but he survived with 1 ship. I took my revenge in the next round, using my extra build to mass ships, flood that area, then keep moving on with Tachyon Drive into 2 of his other undefended areas for Neutron Bombing fun (could have taken his home hex too, but didn't see it). He built Starbases and Cruisers. We then had a funny back-and-forth where I took off my Computers and added Hulls to counter his Warp Shield and Plasma Cannon, then he took off his Warp Shield and replaced it with Hulls, then I took off my Hulls and went with Antimatter Cannon + Positron Computer (more initiative). Fortunately, he ran out of actions, so I had the last move there. Won 2 battles and lost 1 (the Antimatter Cannon missed, and I had no Hulls against his hit). The loss of his population cubes wrecked TerranG, especially after he had bottomed out his economy to build the last-ditch defense.

In the meantime, TerranR closed himself up from us (with his only link coming from the Center) and slaughtered Ancients, and Hydran made a comeback, using a Wormhole Generator to threaten my previously far-flung regions.

On the last round, TerranG built up his Cruisers and Starbases (when I tried to neutron-bomb more civilians) again to try and repel me, Hydran used the Wormhole Generator on 2 of my areas, and TerranR, after playing possum and saying he had no ill intentions beyond going for the GCDS, moved his surplus units into 1 of my areas (his first PvP battle!), leaving a single Dreadnought for the GCDS. Ouuuuuch! I didn't even want to fight these 5 battles because my reputation was sound (three 4s and one 3 now), but TerranG and Hydran both had revenge at the top of their agenda, while TerranR shrugged and pointed out that I was the only player he could get to. Retribution for Mechanema's early belligerence was swift! What made it worse was that my Antimatter Cannon + Positron Computer was good against TerranG (Hulls), but bad against Hydran (Shields, no Hulls), so I had to suck up a loss somewhere, and decided to stand pat and not waste an action on Upgrade.

7 battles on the last round made for a thrilling finale. I went 1-1 against Hydran (and lost my home area to her, so a home hex for a home hex...), 2-0 against TerranG and 0-1 against TerranR (and each time was bored with reputation, sigh). TerranR also took out the GCDS and another Ancient, but unfortunately made a newbie mistake of using up all his influence discs in the Action Phase and had no more to claim his newly conquered areas. This resulted in the loss of a potential gain of 7 VPs in hexes (4 for the center), and 4 VPs in discovery tiles... which meant I won by 1 VP.

I finished with 36 VPs - 14 from hexes, 5 for maxing out the Grid track, 15 from Reputation Tiles, 2 from Discovery Tiles.
TerranR finished with 35, 4 from Discovery.
Hydran completed the stunning turnaround with 31, nearly maxing out all 3 tech tracks, and 4 VPs from Discovery.
TerranG, who looked like the mid-game frontrunner after he bested me in that 1st battle between us, scrambled badly after my revenge, and finished with 11 after bad draws in Reputation, few controlled areas, 1 VP in Tech and no Discovery Tiles (all were used for immediate effect). Plus he was labeled the Traitor, and was left with no friends in the universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
selwyth wrote:
TerranR, after playing possum and saying he had no ill intentions beyond going for the GCDS, moved his surplus units into 1 of my areas (his first PvP battle!), leaving a single Dreadnought for the GCDS. Ouuuuuch!

Are you saying he moved the units out of the center with the GCDS still there? If so, that was illegal. GCDS pins all ships.

So you still prevailed, regardless of all the revenge. You should feel lucky. In my play group, revenge for my Eclipse actions (which were FAR more temperate than yours) extends beyond that game into other board games. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed this game. After winning my first battle I deliberated for a while on whether I should press on and push my luck, or just fortify my position. In the end the lure of battle was too tempting to resist -- I knew if I pressed on and won the next battle I would be pretty much unstoppable, because the only other player near me was crippled and on the run.

My risky move did not pay off at all, because I went all-in and lost my entire fleet. After that my best territories were just free points for anyone who wanted them. My 11 score at the end really speaks for itself cry

-TerranG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Jonsson
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
selwyth wrote:
TerranR, after playing possum and saying he had no ill intentions beyond going for the GCDS, moved his surplus units into 1 of my areas (his first PvP battle!), leaving a single Dreadnought for the GCDS. Ouuuuuch!

Are you saying he moved the units out of the center with the GCDS still there? If so, that was illegal. GCDS pins all ships.

TerranR - Aargh, not only was I stupid, but I also broke the rules to run out of disks so I could not colonize my conquests!
It was a learning game and doing stuff like this taught me a lot.
ParticleMan wrote:

So you still prevailed, regardless of all the revenge. You should feel lucky. In my play group, revenge for my Eclipse actions (which were FAR more temperate than yours) extends beyond that game into other board games. cry

I rarely get to play with David so I doubt this is a problem even if he would be vindictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.