Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The front page of the rule sheet states that "if the player has only a single card of the value needed [to take a card] he can use a Mercenary card of the same value as the second card".

Hence if you want an Accountant 2 you can take it with an Accountant 1 and a Mercenary 1.

The back of the rule, however, states that "The Mercenaries take over any job as wild card (of any lower value) ..." with the example that a Mercenary 3 can stand in as value 0, 1, and 2 (not 3 or 4).

In this case, to take an Accountant 2 when you have only an Accountant 1 would require a Mercenary 2 since a Mercenary 1 can only stand in as value 0.

Note also that the first statement prevents the use of a Mercenary 3 to take the Accountant 2 since it states that the mercenary is of the same value.

I ruled in favour of the first statement modified to include the value of the mercenary as value it can stand for (i.e. Mercenary 3 can stand for 0, 1, 2, and 3) since a Mercenary could not help taking a level 4, and then what’s the point.

Views?

~J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger_Jay wrote:
I ruled in favour of the first statement modified to include the value of the mercenary as value it can stand for (i.e. Mercenary 3 can stand for 0, 1, 2, and 3) since a Mercenary could not help taking a level 4, and then what’s the point.

Not a matter of view, and you don't have to be very clever really.

If you look at the mercenary cards you'll see they have an icon. Except the 0 one which you can't use for anything at all (just like all other except the red ones)

now take the 1 and you'll notice a 0 in the icon, it means you can use that one as a 0 of any color.

Take the 2 nad you'll see 0-1, use it as a 0 or a 1 of any color.

Take the 3 and you'll notice a 0-2...

4 has 0-3

that's how you use it, that's how the rule is supposed to be.

Roger_Jay wrote:
since a Mercenary could not help taking a level 4, and then what’s the point.

The point being that you need the Mercenary 4 to use as joker to get other 4s (besides netting you juice 10 points)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Because you only have two 3s and one 4 of each gang, you want to scoop a mercenary 4 so you can have a wild 0-3, and recieve 10 pts. 10 pts when a high score might be 80-100 is a good get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out Famiglia FAQ for questions like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
The point being that you need the Mercenary 4 to use as joker to get other 4s (besides netting you juice 10 points)

Except the Mercenary 4 can only get lower value cards, not other 4s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
Pedrator wrote:

Except the Mercenary 4 can only get lower value cards, not other 4s.

You team the Mercenary 4 with a Brute 3 to obtain the Brute 4

You team the Mercenary 4 with a Family 3 to obtain the Family 4

You team the Mercenary 4 with a Accountant 3 to obtain the Accountant 4...

Come again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx to all for your views.
Pedro's comment was most insightful.

I think I have a better idea of how to use the mercenary now.
It remains that the rules contradict itself

;-)

~J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger_Jay wrote:

;-)

~J

Seems to be the case indeed. Must be FFs tendency to maintain tradition of really bad rule books! Have a go on Formidable Foes, I dare you!

Just one more thing, someone above stated that merc 4 can only be used to get lower numbered cards. I have already cleared that up I think, nevertheless, writing this implies that the respective user believes that it is possible to recruit 4s with a merc 3, which is not the case! Since merc 3 can only be teamed with 2s. Just felt like clearing this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not as bad as SH : DA!

:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Roger_Jay wrote:

;-)

~J

Seems to be the case indeed. Must be FFs tendency to maintain tradition of really bad rule books!

I know that this thread is a little bit old but I have to state my point of view about the rules contradicting themselves.

The thing that you mention about using mercenaries to pair up with a card with lower value is located in the chapter about special abilities. So for me it is stated clearly that the rules do not mention the card value (green family) but the mercenary value (green special card). For me, there was nothing ambiguous about that
I just felt like commenting on that

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.