Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See page 2 for updates!

New Link

http://bigpearstudios.com/eclipse/?

----------------------------------------

I finally feel that my combat simulator is good enough to make public. The user interface leaves much to be desired but it has accomplished much of what I wanted to do. It is written in javascript so anyone who wants to play with it should know how to access the code. No documentation. zombie

http://codesavior.com/space/simulator.php

Known issues: In mixed fleets, there are cases where the optimal dice assignment is not achieved. The simulator sorts the dice and applies them to the largest killable ship in amount of damage order, which leaves cases where the higher die should be assigned to blow up a smaller ship and a lower die should blow up the larger ship (but does not happen in the sim). I have updated the damage application function to be much more thorough, I believe solving the issues Ian and I pointed out. Please let me know if you find any inconsistencies.

Clicking the equipment button allows you to test equipment changes. You may change (or remove by clearing) a value or even add a completely new item, but you cannot add new concepts.

Undecided whether I wish to continue working on the simulator. I'd really like to test some more new technologies but I'd rather be playing!

* You'll regret running multiple simulations with Detailed Output checked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the few times i wish i could give multiple thumbs!

Only side requests would be to have the base race ships in as "favorites", and the possibility to check odds of situations like "won with zero ship loss" etc.

Great tool regardless, did a quick calculation to see there was an 20% chance of a brutal whooping of Orion we saw last night (dread+cruiser killed by 2 ancients...not sure what the odds of it happening with no ancients dying would be which is what actually happened).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
This is cool, only thing I will say is that I, too, thought about expanding my program and making it publicly available. But then I feared people would start using it mid-game on their iphones and decided it was a bad idea. Hopefully people won't abuse this during play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

Vanish wrote:
Known issues: In mixed fleets, there are cases where the optimal dice assignment is not achieved. The simulator sorts the dice and applies them to the largest killable ship in amount of damage order, which leaves cases where the higher die should be assigned to blow up a smaller ship and a lower die should blow up the larger ship (but does not happen in the sim).

I'm also seeing cases where single hits are applied inefficiently. For example, I'm fighting two ancients and my ships have both ion cannons and plasma cannons. I roll an ion hit and it applies the damage to one ship, then later I roll a plasma hit and it applies it to the already damaged ship, even though it could have outright destroyed the undamaged ancient ship, leaving only a damaged ancient ship instead of an undamaged one.

The numbers so far seem to be within a few percentage points of my own simulator, though, which removes any dice that can't hit anything, computes the full Cartesian product of assignments for the rest, scores them according to the rules for assigning damage from ancients, and selects the assignment with the best score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
This is cool, only thing I will say is that I, too, thought about expanding my program and making it publicly available. But then I feared people would start using it mid-game on their iphones and decided it was a bad idea. Hopefully people won't abuse this during play...

Wow, yeah, I had never even thought of that! My main reason for building it was to test plasma missiles and then for expansions. As I warned before, don't ruin your game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, this is awesome. Thank you!

But it says that Ancient Cruiser is an illegal build...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
Hey, this is awesome. Thank you!

But it says that Ancient Cruiser is an illegal build...

Add a power source and it will shut up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eike Hanus
Germany
Büttelborn
flag msg tools
GAMES!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea. It is the same with the GCDS. Just ignore those aliens... they tap into powers we can not even try to understand.

Nice effort. It is not perfect but it is much better than the rudimentary simulator I threw together. Helps to get a better understanding of the chances in some more complex fights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
it says that Ancient Cruiser is an illegal build...

You look at their blueprints? They are totally cheating.

----------------

Ian, you may have inspired me now. First you beat me in Eclipse and now your simulator has a better combat mechanic. See you tonight. arrrh

Since people are liking it I'll try to add some of the missing things, like the alien built-in modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lange
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one that is confused by the fact that the detailed output is printed backwards? E.g. the latest output on the top. Otherwise, great program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have updated the damage application function to be much more thorough, I believe solving the issues Ian and I pointed out. Please let me know if you find any inconsistencies.

I definitely want to add the alien built in options and ways to get a link to a preset page. Just a matter of time.

Tjohei wrote:
...it says that Ancient Cruiser is an illegal build...

I've given them 20 base power.

Skrynkelberg wrote:
Am I the only one that is confused by the fact that the detailed output is printed backwards? E.g. the latest output on the top. Otherwise, great program.

The most important part of the output for me was the most recent, and it was annoying to have to scroll down to see it. I understand where you are coming from though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eike Hanus
Germany
Büttelborn
flag msg tools
GAMES!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been toying around with it. while it is pretty nice I have noticed a few kinks. Maybe you want to look into those:

- When I tried to run a battle of 4 Starbases with 4x Improved Hull + 1 Ion Cannon vs 2 Missile + Positron Computer Dreadnaughts the simulator hangs and I have to shut down Firefox (Even with a single simulation run)

- Starbases are missing one slot (they have 4 and should have 5)

- Starbases without weapons retreat from combat

- Ships without weapons retreat from combat although they might be able to win if they survive missile attacks or soak damage from ancients. Maybe a flag that permits or disables retreating of a type of ship would be useful here.

- The ion turret part is currently missing from the list

I hope this feedback is of use. Otherwise the simulator does work quite nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spearhead wrote:
- Starbases are missing one slot (they have 4 and should have 5)

Fixed, added the missing hull.

Spearhead wrote:
- The ion turret part is currently missing from the list

Fixed.

On the retreating, I can fix the starbase issue later, but I don't know how we're to solve the "but I really want that ship to stay and soak damage" issue, since it is so arbitrary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demaratus Raven
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. I'm getting an error saying that the GCDS is an illegal build. Can you address, as I was hoping to run some simulations against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Demaratus wrote:
Very cool. I'm getting an error saying that the GCDS is an illegal build. Can you address, as I was hoping to run some simulations against it.

It will run the simulation regardless. Its just saying it is cheating (GCDS does not have a power source). I will change it later to not scare people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain me what the "** - Built in" are ?
I'm getting very different results depending on their presence.
Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I think I understand. The "built-in" takes into account both the inherent life point of a ship (if the ship loses it, it is destroyed) and the intrinsic initiative of the ship.
Am I right ?

A good way to simulate alien blueprints would be to have a menu to set freely the initiative (Planta, Orion) and some supplementary slots to manually implement the additional bonuses (Planta, Orion, Eridani).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, anyone have a vote for me updating this with ROTA equipment? If I get 10 thumbs on this post I'll update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You bet! I found it really useful, and I'm certainly not the only one.

It would also be great to have the non-standard blueprints available (Orion, Planta, etc...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal Rex wrote:
You bet! I found it really useful, and I'm certainly not the only one.

It would also be great to have the non-standard blueprints available (Orion, Planta, etc...)

Yout bet. I'm in the process of doing them. Should be ready mid-week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I am going to have to make a new option where one can check technology for offensive and defense, as the RotA tech changes things up a bit. Need to wrap my head around how to implement the antimatter splitter, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone confirm my notes here that the only races with ship blueprints that DON'T match Terran are: "orion", "planta", "eridani", "exiles", "rho indi" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. Mechanema have cheaper ships, but that's not relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to let everyone know that progress is being made. I have all the races ship designs in now, the new tech, the new equipment and even some of the BGG Fan made equipment. It is also now possible to quickly switch the race's blueprints.

I need to add the new ancient cruisers and dreads and do a little more testing. Point Defense, Antimatter Splitter and Graviton Pulse are not yet implemented.

I'll put up the beta tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.