Ángel Pascua Olmedo
I'm thinking about starting a new campaign of RotL
The problem is that we would be more than 5 players so i had an idea to allow anyone to play.
My idea is this:
- We will play thru e-mail till the party had an encounter or explored a dungeon. Then we'll meet to play it.
- Every player will play with one character. So, i.e, with 7 players will have a party of 6 heroes.
- Every Encounter or Dungeon will be played by 4 heroes (depending on what players showed up the next game session or whatever the party decided).
- The money rewards would be adjusted to the size of the party. I. e., a 6 heroes party would gain 375 coins for killing a Lieutenant, instead of 250 (the conquest tokens will remain the same, ie. 4 c.t.). (250/4 * 6 =375)
- Chest and loot will be adjusted rolling 1 die for player. Ie. 6 players, 6 dice.
- The cost of benefits for the whole party would be increased in the same way. A round of drinks in the Tavern in copper level for 6 players would cost 75 c instead of 50. (50 / 4 * 6 = 75)
- The cost of particular benefits or objects for a singular hero wouldn't change.
For the Final Battle:
- The whole heroes party will play.
- The OL gets 1 threat per hero and per turn
- His monsters receive +3 health per campaign level, +1 armor (just 1, not 1 per campaign level) (thanks to Torin Negatia for the suggestion)
What do you think about this variant? Has someone tried something similar?
Is there any program to record the campaign progress?
- Last edited Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:13 am (Total Number of Edits: 4)
- Posted Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:00 am
Alex crossing the Jaxartes... tricky endeavour.
yes, we are doing the same: Seven players playing RtL seems to be a fair thing to us.
Our modifications are somewhat less complicated, though. Not all players turn up every night we play, so I just take as many threat per dungeon turn as there are heroes currently present. We do not adjust rewards or costs. And we are playing for the fun of it. If one session is a bit unbalanced, we are sure that another session mit tip in the other direction.
To be honest we played only twice. Descent we are more experienced with, but RtL we did just twice up to now. The first session we were all present and me - playing the Overlord - had a hard time. We ended with 6 XPs for the players and 4 XPs for me.
Next session we had a clearer understanding of the rules modifications compared to regular Descent and the heroes made a bit more progress. Just three of them were present and the XP rating is now 19:29 against them. Next time we play, we will be most likely more heroes again and they will surely catch up with me a bit.
I am aware that these loose regulation of balancing the game might not be in favor of everyone at BGG. But we enjoy the gaming sessions anyway. I believe I am member of the best gaming groups you can find. The guys do not tend to argue over rules. All disagreements are settled within one or two minutes and then we go on. It might be due to the good-willingness of the guys that we can get along with so few modifications to the rules, even if we play with 6 heroes. Apart from that we would have forgotten on what we agreed next time we play... ;-) Mostly because we only get together once per month.
Hope this helps!
Ángel Pascua Olmedo
Thanks for sharing your experience
I'm sure we will have a good time playing together anyway. But a dungeon with 6 heroes can be too much intensive XD
So, i'll try my modifications and i let you know