Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Woodbine Street Games is proud to release our first game in a free print and play version for your enjoyment.

The Galaxy Corporate: Star Traders is a game of economics and piracy for two to four players. It plays in roughly two hours and is a lot of fun, if we do say so ourselves.

Players race to become the largest corporation in the galaxy by acquiring planets and trade outposts through any means necessary. With each new possession comes a boost in your influence. When a player reaches the required influence level, he or she wins. Hire mercenary ships, upgrade your own flagships, and populate them with crew to help you achieve your goal.

Will you become a trader baron or a galactic pirate? The choice is yours in the Galaxy Corporate.

The game can be found here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40952290/Star%20Traders.zip

The game page is now live. The zip file with all the pdfs has been submitted and will pop up on the page soon, I hope. In the meantime, the link above still works.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the release. I'll check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds exciting -- I look forward to trying this out -- thanks!

--clint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thank you for the interest!
Thanks for the interest, guys.

Let me know if the link isn't working. One of my friends couldn't get the download last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S.
United States
Between Cincinnati and Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the file and quickly scanned the PDFs. Looks like you've put quite a bit of effort to package this game.

Some questions:

What are your thoughts on play time the first time through?

What number of players do you think is "best"?

How young of a child could play this successfully?

All highly subjective questions, I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
SarcophaGuy wrote:
I downloaded the file and quickly scanned the PDFs. Looks like you've put quite a bit of effort to package this game.

I appreciate that. I tried to make the files as nice as possible with my limited design skills. I wanted to make color versions, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to print as nice as it looked on screen, so I scrapped that in favor of saving people's toner.

SarcophaGuy wrote:
Some questions:

What are your thoughts on play time the first time through?

What number of players do you think is "best"?

How young of a child could play this successfully?

All highly subjective questions, I know.

I can't believe I forgot to put that in the initial post. I apologize about that.

The first time through might take about three hours or so just because you may have to keep consulting prices. I put a handy chart in there to try to keep the math down. Once you get the hang of things, the game should take one to two hours to play.

Being completely subjective, I feel the game plays differently with different numbers of players, so it's up to you to decide which is best. Since I don't get out much, I try to design things that play well with two players so I can play with my wife. It does play pretty well with two players, but it's a different game than with three or four. I personally think the more the merrier and really like how it plays with four players. You could try more than that, but I think it might get a little messy.

I'm putting 12 and up on the eventual physical packaging, but I'd say a precocious 8 year old could probably do all right with it.

I hope that helps. Thanks for the interest. Hopefully the page will go live soon so you can let me know how it plays for you.

-C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Pictures available
Still waiting for the game page, but I added a few images to my personal gallery with some full-color concept designs.

The regions will stay pretty much the way they are, but the cards could be better. I want to keep the glowy text-on-a-screen in front of a starfield, but I know it can be done better by someone with more skill and talent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a lot of work went into this, congrats -- have downloaded, has joined the queue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbed for saving toner
I'll give it a look later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The game page is now live!

Yay!

I submitted a zip file with the print and play docs to the game page, so it should show up there in a bit. Also submitted links to the pictures in my gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks as if the game is still wireframe in regard to graphics. Are you thinking of upgrading the graphics do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Military Muskrat wrote:
It looks as if the game is still wireframe in regard to graphics. Are you thinking of upgrading the graphics do you think?

See my above comments about my limited design skills and saving toner. In my profile gallery are some full-color concepts for the game. I submitted links to the main game page so they should show up there soon.

I am in talks with professional designers as it is my intention to take this to retail. In the meantime, I feel that my limited skills are good enough to allow people to enjoy the game - the wireframes serve their purpose. I don't feel right charging for a no-frills bare-bones version, so y'all get this for free until I make it snazzy.

Now that the game's page is live, I'll be updating as the Galaxy Corporate comes to life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make it clear, I'm not judging your game by the graphics in any kind, just curious. BTW the game looks awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Military Muskrat wrote:
Just to make it clear, I'm not judging your game by the graphics in any kind, just curious. BTW the game looks awesome!

No, I didn't take it as such. I didn't mean to sound defensive, just was trying to be informative. As an update,
the bits guy
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
is doing the board design and the quick concept he showed me is awesome. I can't wait to show off the final product.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
crifmer wrote:
I can't wait to show off the final product.

In response to questions about the art, here's a preview of what's coming for the retail version:

As to when the retail version will happen, I'm not terribly sure but I'm pushing for Q4 this year. In the meantime enjoy the PnP version and give a little feedback if you would so the retail version can be that much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crifmer wrote:
I can't believe I forgot to put that in the initial post. I apologize about that.-C

I think number of players and playing time ought to go "on the box" or, in this case, on the cover page of the rules.

Also - a quick read left me scratching my head about Victory. Does the game just stop as soon as one person reaches the required Influence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crifmer wrote:
crifmer wrote:
I can't wait to show off the final product.

In response to questions about the art, here's a preview of what's coming for the retail version:

Hey! Reminds me (in a nostalgic kinda way) of Merchant of Venus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
crifmer wrote:
I can't believe I forgot to put that in the initial post. I apologize about that.-C

I think number of players and playing time ought to go "on the box" or, in this case, on the cover page of the rules.

I think you're right. This being my first print and play offering, there are a few details that still elude me, but I'll get there.

gamesbook wrote:

Also - a quick read left me scratching my head about Victory. Does the game just stop as soon as one person reaches the required Influence?

At the moment, yes. That can and will absolutely be cleaned up, though. I'm personally two versions ahead (working on some expansion stuff) so I think that was a casualty of my trying to edit together a final rulebook for the game as it stands. The victory section will get an edit shortly, which will be posted to the game forums as well as changed in the downloadable file.

Thanks for taking a look and for the initial feedback. I do hope you play and enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crifmer wrote:
gamesbook wrote:
crifmer wrote:

I think you're right. This being my first print and play offering, there are a few details that still elude me, but I'll get there.

gamesbook wrote:

At the moment, yes. That can and will absolutely be cleaned up, though. I'm personally two versions ahead (working on some expansion stuff) so I think that was a casualty of my trying to edit together a final rulebook for the game as it stands. The victory section will get an edit shortly, which will be posted to the game forums as well as changed in the downloadable file.

Thanks for taking a look and for the initial feedback. I do hope you play and enjoy it.

Chris - I have sent a personal email with feedback on the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
New rulebook is available. I apologize for the state of the old one. It wasn't nearly as good as it should have been.

Here's the new one. I also uploaded the pdf to the game page and updated the zip file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.