Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all you TSR Dungeon lovers out there. This was the first board game that I ever bought and is probably has the most nostalgic for me. As a kid this game was great, but now as an adult playing it with my children I can't help but think it good for what it is. That got me to thinking... What if I made a Print and Play version of my own. That is were you come in.

I have already decided on the name DUNGEON: Return to the Dragon's Keep. I also have decided on a variable game board using the tile laying mechanic and have spent a lot of time on both tiles and cards. However, what I have not quite decided on was the battle mechanic. Are their any enthusiasts that would like to share their ideas on a possible battle mechanic, item enhancements, etc.

Thanks in advance for any input that you might have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you plan for this as more than a personal copy then you want to seriously consider changing the name from Dungeon. Especially if its not sharing the originals rules and/or mechanics.

Sounds like you are more re-creating Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game or Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game or even Cardmaster: Adventure Design Deck. Which are WOTC and TSR tries at a modular Dungeon without being Dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input John. I wouldn't say that it is as much re-creating any of the newer DnD games, but more so enhancing the three Dungeon games just a bit more. The overall game will be quite similar to the original, but anyone ever having played Dungeon can admit that it always lacked the replay factor. That is what I want to enhance. The modular board is certainly a step in the right direction, however I was curious if anyone thought the battle mechanics could be stepped up just a bit, not a complete revamp to a system used in games like Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game or Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game But rather something that would give it just a bit more spice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much disagree on the replay factor being low.
Dungeon has enough random element to it during exploration, and player selection that it plays a little diffrent every time. Just like Monopoly, Clue, and about 90% of the games ever made that arent absolutely static. And Chess has immense replay.

That is in no way saying your idea has no merit. Just dont say the game has no replay as is.

Way back in the mid 90s at GenCon I got to talk with some TSR staff and theyd tossed around then the idea of revamping Dungeon with a modular board. But it was swept aside by the CCG craze. Simmilar was intended for a seperate game but the whole tile system was discarded when the game was relegated to a diffrent format at the 11th hour. Such is the gaming biz.

Heres the idea we tossed around. It was fairly simple and I put it to use for one of my explorer games after TSR fell. The base idea is to have the tiles coded like the board. Laying them out as you explore to make the completed board over the course of a session.

Cardmaster used a simmilar concept. Hence why it has a strong Dungeon feel sometimes. I sometimes wonder is Cardmaster is what the modular Dungeon idea evolved into. We'll never know sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.