BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 1 - 4 Player card Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tony walters
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm trying to decide on my birthday gift to myself and i'm looking for a decent 1 - 4 player card game.

I am leaning toward Rune Age at this stage but I am open to suggestions.

It must play well solo, 2 player and 4 player. Most of the time it will be solo payed, I have one friend who is as keen as I am to play board games and 2 other guys we can sucker in occassionally.

I prefer something thematic. I am very shallow when it comes to great art and easily put off by less low quality art and components.

I would like a decent playtime as I don't want to setup for a 10 minute game. 30 to 60 minutes works for me. Longer for multiplayer is fine.

Sci Fi or fantasy is cool. Play area isn't an issue either.

Wll Ihope that's enough info to get a few suggestions.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May not fall into your time frame for playing, but the only card game that I can think of that meets all your criteria is Race for the Galaxy with the first expansion (which makes it solo).

EDIT: You can always play it a few times to make it fall into your time frame of playing.

EDIT: Edited a second time to make my post not sound like it's an elitist snob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Franco
Colombia
Envigado
Antioquia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Rune age is a cool game...Blood bowl Team manager, Thunderstone or Lord of the rings: the card game are great cards games...or maybe dominion if you ignore the thematic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game. I haven't played it, but it seems like it might fit your requirements.

"Card game" has a variety of meanings. If you want a game with just cards, this one doesn't qualify because it uses dice, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim fits the bill but only plays 2 maximum.

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer with the first expansion, Ascension: Return of the Fallen and/or the extension Ascension: Storm of Souls for 1-6.

Edit: Storm of Souls is more of an extension of the game rather than an expansion, as originally stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Thunderstone
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Chaos Isle: Zombi Deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy with the first expansion fits your needs. plays well 1-4, nice art, sci-fi theme, and is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is as thematic as it can get! but it's a co op so i am not sure if it fits your bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game. It's thematic, and can be played solo. But it's also a co-operative game.

PAX. Probably not very thematic. I own the game but till this day still haven't try it so I can't comment on the gameplay.

Resident Evil Deck Building Game. This one requires a little bit of setup, but doesn't reach your 10 mins limit.

Let us know what you're getting at the end yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy easily fits what you want WITHOUT any of the expansions (contrary to what someone mentioned above). It will probably take 2 or 3 games to bring the playtime down as the symbology gives it a steep learning curve. However once you're past that it pays off massively and speeds the whole game up hugely, allowing very quick analysis of the entire game state from the symbols on people's cards. At that point it will play in around 20 mins.

Plus you can add expansions once you've played enough of the base game (I like the first 2 expansions but I'm not crazy on the 3rd, plus there's a new, standalone expansion out sometime this year).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
Race for the Galaxy easily fits what you want WITHOUT any of the expansions (contrary to what someone mentioned above).

I think everyone mentioned the need for the first expansion only to have the rules and materials to play it solo (since the suggestion was about a game that has to be played mainly solo), not because of the actual replayability/value of the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play solo you're better off playing it on Keldon's AI tbh. It's faster and easier and allows you to mix in any of the expansions as you see fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have recommended Cities as I know it is one of the few games that plays just as well with 1 to 4 players. However it is a little shorter than what you would like. Playing time is listed as 15, but I find the majority of our games end up in the 25-30 range which may be a little short for you, but just wanted to throw out another option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just remembered another one. Elder Sign, only IF you're okay with co-operative game, which you didn't state in your preferences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ramirez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Get yer finger off my head!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord is played with cards, but used as dungeon tiles. Its still a great little game that has a solo variant and can be played with 2+ players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony walters
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions....

I just realised how much easier this decision would be if FFG would just release the Star Wars card game already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.