Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Rouleau
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
My wife is teaching our boys about the American Revolutionary War and she was wondering if there is a game on the subject which both boys could play.

The boys are ages 8 and 15.

No trivia based game suggestion please.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We the People would do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tyvek wrote:
We the People would do...

The re-designed version of We The People, Washington's War, would likely be easier to find.

The only concern is whether the weight (2.7 for WTP, 2.8 for WW) would be too much for an 8 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are few choices to pick from (listed in order of complexity):

Hold the Line by Worthington Games is similar in weight to the Command and Color series but without cards. Comes with many scenarios and can be played in an hour or so.

Another would be Turning Point also by Worthington Games. It is a card driven game and takes longer than Hold the Line, maybe 1.5 hours.

And lastly, a much longer and slightly heavier than Turning Point is the GMT series "Battles of the American Revolution". I'd probably go after Monmouth since it can be purchased for under $20 online. The game is a hex and counter game that is fairly light for what I consider a standard wargame. The game will take 2 to 3 hours.

I think the other choices for Washington's War/We the People will be a bit heavy for the 8 year old and I think the 12 year old will be borderline. I think this will take them 3 hours or more to play.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the American Heritage games Skirmish does a pretty good job at showing the asymetrical nature of the conflict, while remaining pretty simple. It looks like one BGG user is selling a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Glass
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always enjoyed 1776. Especially in that it had short scenarios.

The Carolina scenario where the militia starts on opposite sides of the Santee River was presented to HS class right after The Patriot came out as that's where Mel Gibson sends his men out to gather up the militia before the go after the British.

Seems to help when you can connect a game to a movie, even though its likely only your oldest might see some of these. It worked great for my son with Patriot, Zulu Dawn, Saving Private Ryan, Kingdom of Heaven, and A Bridge Too Far.

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the 1776 choice. A good map of the entire campaign and you can see how terrain affected some of the battle decisions. We The People would also be a good choice as the historical happenings on the cards would help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rouleau
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you all for the suggestions!

My wife found used copies of 1776 and Hold the Line on eBay and we should receive the items within 7 to 10 days.

We the People is something we will likely try in a few years when we cover the American Revolutionary War again with our youngest. We looked at a few sample cards and determined the game is too complex for him at this time.

Monmouth, now that's a game for me...

Thank you all again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.