Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremie geggus
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finally got a my group a copy. Found a fresh stack of brand new ones at a game shop while I was out of town this weekend. Picked the nicest looking box off the shelf and handed over $70+ to the friendly clerk. Got home and told my fellow nerds that I had a surprise waiting for our next session.

After some thinking, I made the decision to crack the box sticker to get at the rulebook. Figured it would be best to get the base mechanics down in advance, so we could enjoy the first session by opening up the board and bits together and actually play- rather than taking turns reading aloud.

I can't find a rule book. I've dug everything out of the box and even removed the shrinkwrap on the board myself, in the last ditch hope that the book could possibly be folded up with it. I didn't open any cards or remove any of the spoiler seals, but I did check under the tray- what I found there was not the book.

Is there some obvious little/big pocket I'm missing? Was it supposed to be on top with the board , punch-outs and stickers?

If I have to start our first session with a PDF printout or something, the inevitable questions are gonna occur to the group pretty quickly: "How do we know we've got everything we're supposed to have? What else is missing from those neat little sealed things?".

This particular game is supposed to be a bit of an event for us. We're getting some old friends back to the table after a long absence. Starting it out with the lingering suspicion that it's possibly broken seems like a bad way to go.

Someone please tell me that the bloody rule book is cleverly tucked away somewhere that I'm too simple to have noticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, the rulebook was not shrink wrapped in with anything else. Mine was in with the punch-out boards.
wormwoode wrote:
Finally got a my group a copy. Found a fresh stack of brand new ones at a game shop while I was out of town this weekend. Picked the nicest looking box off the shelf and handed over $70+ to the friendly clerk. Got home and told my fellow nerds that I had a surprise waiting for our next session.

After some thinking, I made the decision to crack the box sticker to get at the rulebook. Figured it would be best to get the base mechanics down in advance, so we could enjoy the first session by opening up the board and bits together and actually play- rather than taking turns reading aloud.

I can't find a rule book. I've dug everything out of the box and even removed the shrinkwrap on the board myself, in the last ditch hope that the book could possibly be folded up with it. I didn't open any cards or remove any of the spoiler seals, but I did check under the tray- what I found there was not the book.

Is there some obvious little/big pocket I'm missing? Was it supposed to be on top with the board , punch-outs and stickers?

If I have to start our first session with a PDF printout or something, the inevitable questions are gonna occur to the group pretty quickly: "How do we know we've got everything we're supposed to have? What else is missing from those neat little sealed things?".

This particular game is supposed to be a bit of an event for us. We're getting some old friends back to the table after a long absence. Starting it out with the lingering suspicion that it's possibly broken seems like a bad way to go.

Someone please tell me that the bloody rule book is cleverly tucked away somewhere that I'm too simple to have noticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to contact Hasbro customer service. The rule book is about 8 x 11 inches and very much easy to find. It is also a very important part of the game's progress.

From what I've heard, Hasbro has fantastic customer service. I would give them a call.

Best of luck to you. What is the number of your Earth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Join us in June for Manitoba's longest-running game convention! www.prairiecon.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're itching to get going without waiting for the replacement, Hasbro has a pdf on their website.
[url]
http://www.hasbro.com/common/documents/dad2886d1c4311ddbd0b0...[/url]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremie geggus
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found the rules PDF earlier, but I really dread having to explain to my table that there's a component missing from a game that's core gimmick involves revealing new components mid-campaign. I'm starting to get sketched-out a bit by it, myself... and I'm nowhere near being the most cynical one in my group.

They're gonna google it, like I did, and read all the little stuff about missing plastic bits, missing cards, miss-printed components and rule books with blank pages. They're gonna scroll right past all the mentions of Hasbro's "great customer service" and how you can replace "this" with a bottle cap and fix "that" with a sharpie or a PDF. At the end of the day, the perception that the game is "possibly broken" will likely shift to "probably broken", quickly.

I just feel a bit bad about it. I tried to refresh a dwindling gaming group by getting a blind campaign commitment out of them. It worked. They bit. But I bought an $80 game with "trick rules" that came without a Rule Book.

I could have just bought another Descent expansion, and wrangled them back together with nostalgia... And had a hell of a lot of cash leftover for booze and snacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
wormwoode wrote:
But I bought an $80 game
I really hope you didn't pay $80 for it. The MSRP is $60 and you can find it from $45 - $50 online...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremie geggus
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
wormwoode wrote:
But I bought an $80 game
I really hope you didn't pay $80 for it. The MSRP is $60 and you can find it from $45 - $50 online...

I could've ordered it online and saved 20bucks, but I've become a bit sensitive to the independent retailers plight over the years. Seen a lot of great comics and games shops disappear, in part due to their inability to compete with amazon. So I waited for the best "on the shelf" price I could find. Found that a friendly, clean and well-stocked shop near my old hometown had a few copies in stock with a sticker of $65. After tax it came out to around $75. I would have made my way back in to the shop this morning and tried to just swap my copy out, but this particular store is over 2 hours away.

Looks like I just got an interesting message in my geekmail. Hopefully, that'll pan out to something helpful. Flipped through the PDF rules last night, and the game looks brilliant. Here's hoping I can get it to the table sooner than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jacobson
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A lot of shops are trying to sell it for $70+.

Apparently there is some shop who has somehow pre-empted supply chains, marking the game up, and reselling to other shops. This is the case with my local FLGS, who said they were getting their copies from a supplier other than Alliance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremie geggus
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A lot of game shops come from the line of comics and card shops. Traditionally, the secondary market is all about rarity and perceived value. When your business model has always involved marking up brand new comics the day after they came in, and opening ten $3 packs of booster cards to turn them into $100 worth of single cards, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to many of these folks to mark-up a brand new, in-print boardgame by 25%, just because it seems popular.

So while there certainly may be a distributor out there that's ignoring the MSRP, and making an extra profit before the game even hits a retailers shelves, my attempts to buy the game from a brick-and-mortar shop just showed me that a lot of retailers seem to be clinging to the outdated business model that has them all scrambling to compete in the modern market.

I'm gonna miss comics and games stores, but I think I'm done feeling sorry for a lot of them. It's the same sort of thing with movies, music, books and TV. No one business model is entitled to make money forever. If you can't keep up, you're bound to fall behind.

Maybe it's like the old "more litter" thing. If even more folks start buying more things online, the local shops might be forced to get their acts together more quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremie geggus
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quick update: After a brief message exchange, I received a rule book via FedEx, from Rob himself. Could not be more grateful. Gonna get this to the table sometime next week. I'm super-anxious. Can. Not. Wait.

What a guy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Adair
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My GeekBadge
badge
My Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just opened mine and it has the same problem. No rulebook! Bummer.

I went to an unboxing video to make sure it was not tucked away somewhere, but no such luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.