Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
arrrh From that excellently, portrayed REVIEW there: Midway: the Game along with presenting some useful "News" regarding what is NEW, then it 'got' me upon thinking about a BOOK that I'd read and with what little is at 'stake', in which to derive an additional "Naval Campaigns" from it through this manner. I'm even willing on some added 'chrome' of which could be within some "Advanced" RULES as this, or could 'retro-fit' the original game as well. I can design any vessels/aircraft involved, while we have to confine, and narrow down the MAIN 'arena' into a small, concise map, such as 11-inch by 17-inch. I'd even see that doubled as 17 X 22 for a wider range and scope, while trying to keep down printing since there are 'counters' involved also.

If you are interested and shall assist in providing background information, to include personal 'recollections', then you are encouraged with doing just such as this. Any of you could look over some materials that you may research on the matter, to determine if it were of importance in some manner too. What I intend on having seen in this demeanor, is how we can help out each other and construct some positive 'accomplishments', while we're at "it"! For those of you that desire on bringing this out even more in another 'fashioning', then now, here you CAN!
cool

EDIT with addition for title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Sorry - are you saying that you want to use Midway to game the Asiatic Squadron's campaign in December 1941?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
No, this is a "calling upon" in fashioning an entirely NEW 'Campaign' GAME with using the Midway components, where applicable. The overall MAP it would encompass, could then be used for depicting later encounters, since by the end of Spring, 1942, then it was also the END of this formation with the demise of their remnants, in far-flung places that any of them inhabited at the time(s). It would involve many other nationalities with their Forces that were present during it all, from which the Allied player shall attempt to "upset the plans" of the marauding Japanese player, of whom then MUST complete his own 'time schedule' of events, or become penalized if not accomplished in this manner. I desired and envisioned on it being as easy, or simplistic, as Midway in these regards, while also having diverse applications taking place during such, that take into account(s) upon the situations that "played out" during its entirety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
arrrh Here is the wiki-article about this: US Asiatic Fleet As you'll no doubt notice, then the majority of this consisted of, or comprised, Submarines for the most parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Ah, I see.

One problem is timescale. Midway is very good at 3 day battles, but the campaign you outline took place over the course of months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There is the entire 'feat' of 'surpassing', or 'succumbing' forthwith the actual historical 'fete'! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Historically it was more of a one-sided brutal beating than a celibration. The U.S. Asiatic fleet had one heavy cruiser, poor Houston, which was eventually sunk in a wild point-blank encounter down in the NEI. On the other side ranged practically the entire Imperial Navy, such that the ABDA Command was hopelessly outnumbered and its demise seemed inevitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Upton
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, in all the early encounters, the number of ships was approximately even. There were three things that made them one-sided: Japanese training, the long-lance torpedo and Japanese aircraft.

If things had gone a little differently, even the "execution" of the Prince of Wales and Repulse could have been a much more even match, and possibly even a victory for the British.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.