Hide
3 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Variants

Subject: Expelled variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
boardgameidea boardgameidea
msg tools
After i tried the Cutthroat / Threaded variants, i think the disadvantage is merchant player be threatened but pirate hasn't any risk & still facing the long time against problem between same sea-zone & port.

For the "actions", i would like to add "Expelled" when you are in the same sea-zone with a target player(in port), you can pay 3 gold (when you didn't have current port nation bounties), both roll "influence". if the player in port lose, he will be forced to sea-zone immediately. Each bounty match to the current port nation, add 3 gold.

E.g,
Player A move to Port and end his turn.
Player B "move" to same sea-zone, he pay 6 gold with a current nation bounty in his board, "expelled" player A, both roll influence, Player B win. now player A is forced to sea-zone. player B "Scouting" as last action.

any comment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I see the need if you are already using either the Cut-throat or threaded variant. The combination would be too harsh for merchants.

But if you are talking about using this instead of the other variants, then yes, it could be fun! Maybe increase the price a bit. The player calling for the another to be expelled pays 3 gold to start, then 3 gold more for each bounty matching the port as you suggest, and another 1 gold for each bounty not matching the port. If your nation is at war with the port nation, then the price goes up an additional 3 gold. Then reduce the fee by 1 gold for each bounty the target player has. That last adjustment means it is possible that if you try to expell a pirate, that you could possibly do that for free. But of course you are taking a serious risk by doing so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgameidea boardgameidea
msg tools
i think that increase the price a bit, the action will become too complex in calculate the price. Besides an additional 3 gold per bounty is harsh enough.

For merchant players,they can escape to a port with a higher "nation bounty cost". Since 10 gold = 1 glory point. Pirate must sacrifice first, that's fair in the game.

This variant also make sense in thematic. Bribe the port officer, contest the "influence", and expel the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.