29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which 6-player game for my group? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin O
msg tools
I'm looking for a shortish (~1 hour), quicker-paced and easy to learn game that can support up to 6 players. Ideally it will have a decent amount of depth and strategy once we get into it. Ticket to ride looks great but only supports 5 players (but I'm looking to get a copy anyway :-) ).

The group:
We're all English, late 20s/early 30s + one 40 something, mostly long-term Dungeons and Dragons players who've all played a little Munchkin lately. Most have also played some Warhammer and Magic: The Gathering. Some are brighter than others. Two of the group are quite loud and impulsive. One is a slow reader, but otherwise smart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter with one expansion Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion 6 players great fun fast play. Unique.

Quote:
+ one 40 somethin

No need to mention it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Condottiere is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flakybiscuit
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet 7 Wonders would go over well with your group and it is readily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
7 Wonders is a card game that supports up to 7 players and offers surprising depth for a simple card drafting mechanic. The synergy between the different cards and different ways to score points is what makes the game interesting. It's a game CCG players will love, but even those that aren't CCG fans will love it. All self contained in one box. Plays in ~30 mins.

Citadels is a fantasy themed card game with variable phase order and variable player powers. Players are competing to build up to 8 "districts" varying in point value, with the winner being the player with the most points after someone has built 8 districts. Players select a character from a pool of 8 characters, each of which grants the player different powers. Lots of depth with elements of bluffing. Excellent game by the well-respected game designer, Bruno Faidutti.

Ca$h 'n Gun$ is a gangster themed party game with heavy doses of bluffing, negotiation and intrigue. Games average ~30 minutes and are great for 6 players looking for interaction and drama.

Red November is a unassuming little co-op game featuring gnomes on a disaster-prone submarine. Lots of chaotic damage control and plenty of opportunity for backstabby goodness. Games take about an hour, but there's a whole lot of tension packed into that doomed sub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McInnes
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
I did a 5 player Citadels the other day, it seemed to have a lot of downtime.
+1 for 7 Wonders though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: Re: Which 6-player game for my group?
How many plays of Citadels do you have? Like many games, it'll feature less downtime and flow quicker with experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd throw out Leaping Lemmings as a suggestion - clever little game with a fun theme, not super deep but interesting.

Also, Fearsome Floors supports 6, has a fantastic theme, is good for a wide range of gamer experience.

Getting any 6p game with depth played in an hour is a tough requirement unless your group plays extremely crisply, but neither of these is particularly long games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Glass
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our "seasoned" wargame group has been playing Great Fire of London recently. And the way we play it, it quickly dissolves into a wargame.

Even if you don't know the color your opponent is defending, if you have a good guess, or think you know where his high-point major areas are, you will find a way to burn it. We can play 2-3 games in a typical 3 hour game night.

Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Priest
United States
Inverness
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this geeklist. It is not very good, but does have some interesting suggestions that might be of interest to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
You lot seems fond of tabletop games but did consider Ticket to Ride, so I guess you're okay with the theme in Airlines Europe.

Although it says 2-5 players on the box, you can play it with 6 players (the publisher says so). Airlines Europe with 6 players

The thing is that, the more players in the game, the faster the game ends. Game ends when the draw pile is finished. I played the game once (it was a 5 players game) and I have to say I quite like it. It took us merely 55 minutes to play.

EDIT: It's also a light game and with low downtime. When it's your turn, you basically do one of the four actions. Also, there's no text in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Airlines Europe

Also, check out Survive: Escape from Atlantis! and Survive: Escape from Atlantis! 5-6 Player Mini Expansion. A very malicious little game! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O
msg tools
Thanks for the many excellent suggestions. We're going to have a crack at Red November this weekend as I know the theme will go down very well with the group. Will definitely consider some of the others in future.

Any thoughts on Carcassonne with the first expansion pack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 7 Wonders and +1 for Ca$h 'n Gun$!!!! We play both in our group and everyone enjoys them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shockeroo wrote:
Thanks for the many excellent suggestions. We're going to have a crack at Red November this weekend as I know the theme will go down very well with the group. Will definitely consider some of the others in future.

Any thoughts on Carcassonne with the first expansion pack?

It's possible your group will like it, but I find it to be a glorified version of dominoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Red November and I hope your group does too.

If you're still considering other games for 6 and you all like auction games, then take a look at Medici.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Super Dungeon Explore is a great dungeon Crawler that plays fast once everyone knows what they're doing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe The Resistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Gollin
Germany
flag msg tools
Another game I recently learned about (and enjoy since) is Shadow Hunters.
It's a nice werewolf-themed hidden identity game.
It says 4 - 8 players, wouldn't recommend it for less then 6 players though, but 6-8 are fine.

Takes about half an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Cosmic Encounter with one expansion Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion 6 players great fun fast play. Unique.

Quote:
+ one 40 somethin

No need to mention it

Yes and yes, many times over. You won't be sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Asian expansion for Ticket to Ride (Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia) plays up to 6 (with 3 teams of 2). We played it over the holidays and it was a lot of fun. Others that you might want to take a look at:

TransAmerica
Around the World in 80 Days
+1 7 Wonders
Dixit (a lot of fun and easy to learn, but it's a party game and not very strategic; if playing with 6 or more, you'll definitely want to add at least one of the 2 expansions, especially Dixit: Odyssey)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Overweg
United States
ZEELAND
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Cosmic Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Schroder
United States
Howell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Take a look at Jamaica. Just played it last night with six and it's fun, light, and about an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.