Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried posting yesterday right when BGG went down for maintenance! I also hope this hasn't been answered before (I did search...)

Situation:

Sevastopol is in Alternate Supply with a Fort unit. Lucky Germans have Siege Artillery and flip the Fort then unluckily roll an EX. Sevastopol is "empty" but the Germans aren't moving...

From reading the rules and certainly by stated intent of the rule, it seems that an available Soviet Cadre could be placed in Sevastopol at that point.

The question that resulted from our play is if a replacement unit could be put in the Cadre's location or not. The Supply rules would seem to prohibit such a move but my opponent felt otherwise. (BTW: we did allow the replacement in game - ouch!)

My explanation of the apparent dichotomy is that the Cadre is allowed as it represents the scraps of what is left of the just destroyed step. Moving in another Front sized unit (maybe 150000 men) to replace the Cadre is another matter altogether - and requires Overland Supply.

I think a short statement [in 14.9] to that effect in the upcoming Living Rule changes would be appropriate unless my premise is wrongwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[14.9.4] Replacement Location: Eliminated and Surrendered units that are Replaced as per 7.6 (only, not Reinforcement or Recovered Shattered units) may, in addition to those locations prescribed in Rule 7.9, also be placed in a hex where there is a friendly Cadre unit that can trace an overland Supply Path (6.1) to a friendly map edge. When placed in that hex, that Cadre unit is removed from the map and placed on the Turn Track as per 14.9.3. In effect, that eliminated unit is “rebuilt” on the front lines.

So in your particular case, you could place Cadre to satisfy the EX result, but you couldn't replace Cadre with another unit in Sevastopol if the city was cut off by land.

This rule was not affected by upcoming changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it intentional, that this works only, when the Cadre unit can trace an overland supply path to a friendly map edge? A city is not sufficient?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow I missed [14.9.4] or at least the part germane to my question Doh!

Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
Is it intentional, that this works only, when the Cadre unit can trace an overland supply path to a friendly map edge? A city is not sufficient?

It was meant to say that tracing to a city is not sufficient (ex: an isolated coastal city), that city also has to trace back to a map edge hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Almecho wrote:

It was meant to say that tracing to a city is not sufficient (ex: an isolated coastal city), that city also has to trace back to a map edge hex.

I just noticed the part that if you replace Cadre with a unit it goes back to the turn track rather then Cadre box.

But on the side note what about the card #38 New Conscripts? Could you use this card to replace Cadre in situation like above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:
But on the side note what about the card #38 New Conscripts? Could you use this card to replace Cadre in situation like above?

Sure! Why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.