Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think it matters, as long as you get English rules, which you should be able download from here. There is no "English" text in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the English editions I think you'll be looking at either the Warfrog or the FRED editions. Some people have raised objections to the FRED edition (which I have) on either the grounds of it being inherently evil, or of it having a linen finish board. I think that the editions are otherwise extremely similar.

I do recall reading or hearing about an earlier edition (maybe the Warfrog edition or a playtest version?) where the map of Lancashire included Clitheroe instead of Colne, and that this was changed to avoid possibly embarassing mispronunciation of the the esteemed Ribble Valley market town. Don't know if this is true. I'd kind of like a version of the board with Clitheroe, although Colne makes more sense (being on the route of the Leeds/Liverpool canal, and being more of a significant town in the cotton/coal economy, says I).

Of course, everybody's really waiting for this edition to hit the streets...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I think the plastic coins are different between Warfrog and FRED, to the detriment of the later, but as they are tiddlywinks in both versions, you'd be wanting to use deluxe Treefrog wooden money or else poker chips in either case anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warfrog coins are best. They are perfectly sized so you can stack the copper and silver next to each other in the box and easily see how much was spent. The FRED coins are huge and useless.

The other nifty thing about the Warfrog edition is the front and back of the tiles are slightly different shades of colour. This was unintended, but helps to quickly see which tiles are flipped. The FRED tiles are the same shade on both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually picked up this copy:

I know you said you wanted the English edition but, honestly, one quick rules download and you've *got* the English edition. And this board for this one is laid out nicer than the English (in my opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Misson
United Kingdom
Southport
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, Southport is in Lancashire.
mbmbmbmbmb
schkff wrote:
I do recall reading or hearing about an earlier edition (maybe the Warfrog edition or a playtest version?) where the map of Lancashire included Clitheroe instead of Colne, and that this was changed to avoid possibly embarassing mispronunciation of the the esteemed Ribble Valley market town. Don't know if this is true.

That's an urban myth based on the premise that Americans can't pronounce Worcester let alone other common English towns. There is no connection of either type from Burnley to Clitheroe IRL.... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.