Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for : worker placement with interaction, humor, screwing each others, etc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Agricola in my library. I like the game. Some of my friends like it as well.

But it lacks something my groups consider very important :

1) interaction : there is some of that in Agricola because if the player to your right took the spot you wanted, you're forced to use plan B (if you had one) but it's not enough. I would like a game where you NEED to look at the other player's "farm" and make decisions based on what they did and are planning to do

2) humor : yup.. Agricola is a bit dry. Something funny like Guillotine or King of Tokyo are much more popular (altough these specific games lack many elements i love from Agricola like strategy and planning ahead)

3) screwing each others : once again, Agricola is nice but it's more like about doing your doing and no one can stop you from doing it unless they pick the action you were planning to do (and that is not enough screwing for me). I want something more like what I get from picking the road my opponent obviously wanted to connect from Ticket to Ride: Europe or jamming my opponent's meeple in an unsolvable puzzle in Carcassonne

Sometimes I think I need to create my own game.. And I could. But I wouldn't satisfy myself with a bad design or a design that requires copyrights (hence I wouldn't be able to share my work anywhere).

Even if your recommendation isn't funny as requested, I would like to hear about it. I may simply redesign it on my own to make it fit better with my groups.

Thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it, but it sounds like Belfort might fit your criteria pretty well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers is a good suggestion. One of the reasons I dislike it is that it is so cutthroat with ample opportunities for screwage.

From what I have read, you might take a look at Carson City. Your workers can have shoot-outs. Probably not a lot of humor there either, though.

The heavier a game gets, the less humor it usually has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom of Solomon is very interactive for a worker placement game. Might want to check that one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StckFigure wrote:
I've not played it, but it sounds like Belfort might fit your criteria pretty well?

I looked at all the recommendations so far and Belfort seems to be a perfect fit. I'm a bit hesitant because of the lenght of a game (estimated to 2 hours). But it allows up to 5 players (very important for me). Players best with 3 or 4 (also a must for my group) and the fantasy/funny artwork will keep the interest into this game.

Tom Vassel gave it a wonderful review. And the special "screw your opponents" powers you can get from your workers is also a must to me.

Thank you very much for this recommendation. Thanks to everyone else as well. The other games look great but most had a major downside (either a look that doesn't appeal me or a maximum of 4 players).

I want to hear more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you'd like The Manhattan Project. There's some more interaction in there, as you can use other player's buildings using spies, and send fighters and bombers their way - which also satisfies the screwing each other requirement, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Lemonde
Canada
St-Hyacinthe
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.dragonsnocturnes.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly what you search for, but as I knew you, I will suggest:

Incan gold
Tikal II (unfortunately 4 players).

Have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dungeon Petz

Case closed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
Dungeon Petz

Case closed

I was going to suggest Dungeon Lords, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about it's successor Dungeon Petz.

Both are worker placement (with the screwage inherent in the genre) with that great Chvatil humor.

I can't speak too much for Petz as I haven't read a TON about it and we haven't had a game night since my buddy acquired it, but I have played Dungeon Lords. Lords has a lot of planning ahead because you want to screw your opponents with the nasty adventurers. Sounds like it really fits the bill (depending on your humor too - Petz has poop tokens, and some customers like pets that can really poop... for some reason... but Chvatil games are always amusing. Even the rulebooks are fun to read)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fastlane wrote:
Selurevad wrote:
Dungeon Petz

Case closed

I was going to suggest Dungeon Lords, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about it's successor Dungeon Petz.

Both are worker placement (with the screwage inherent in the genre) with that great Chvatil humor.

I can't speak too much for Petz as I haven't read a TON about it and we haven't had a game night since my buddy acquired it, but I have played Dungeon Lords. Lords has a lot of planning ahead because you want to screw your opponents with the nasty adventurers. Sounds like it really fits the bill (depending on your humor too - Petz has poop tokens, and some customers like pets that can really poop... for some reason... but Chvatil games are always amusing. Even the rulebooks are fun to read)

Dungeon Lords was also my first thought when I read the topic title. And for even more interaction, be sure to print out the Minions Bearing Gifts expansion rules (tiles are already included with the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Worker Placement genre, I'll list Carson City and Dominant Species as two that fit most of what you want.

1) interaction
- Dominant Species (ignore opponents at your own peril)
- Carson City (see above)

2) humor
- Carson City (shootouts are hilarious and tense, as are robbing your opponent's properties)
- Dominant Species (killing opponent's species mercilessly might be fun for you)

3) screwing each others : o
- Dominant Species (might be the meanest game in the Worker Placement genre)
- Carson City (very low here, more of the I took the spot you wanted variety, but you CAN steal money and knock opponent's cowboys off their spots)

I can say nothing wrong about either of these games. Note that I left off two other Worker Placement games, Caylus and Age Of Empires, because they are closer to Agricola in terms of interactivity, humor, and screwage levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Højslet
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
From the Worker Placement genre, I'll list Carson City and Dominant Species as two that fit most of what you want.

1) interaction
- Dominant Species (ignore opponents at your own peril)
- Carson City (see above)

2) humor
- Carson City (shootouts are hilarious and tense, as are robbing your opponent's properties)
- Dominant Species (killing opponent's species mercilessly might be fun for you)

3) screwing each others : o
- Dominant Species (might be the meanest game in the Worker Placement genre)
- Carson City (very low here, more of the I took the spot you wanted variety, but you CAN steal money and knock opponent's cowboys off their spots)

I can say nothing wrong about either of these games. Note that I left off two other Worker Placement games, Caylus and Age Of Empires, because they are closer to Agricola in terms of interactivity, humor, and screwage levels.

Sounds epic, really need to get my hands in Dominant species!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Struggle might be a good fit for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
I second what Mike suggested. Especially with Carson city... The idea of being able to shoot other cowboys off spots you want adds interactivity, screwage, and humor. I also love meeples in 10 gallon hats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Petz and Carson City

While both of the Dungeons immediately jumped to mind when I saw the title, I also wholly agree with Carson City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Way Out West. Heralded as one of the very first worker placement games. Cowboys having shootups in shops and and banks and trains, all while setting up businesses on the side to transport and bed these very same cowboys. Very bloody combat in which the weaker can often come away with victory. Screwage galore in the very limited number of available slots for actions and businesses. Very fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow wow wow!

So many excellent suggestions!

Now the choice is harder.. I looked at all of them and considering my choicebreakers, I nailed down 3 finalists :

Belfort
This one seems to have everything I want. Plays best with 3-4, can be played with 5. Humor, sharp design, fantasy theme. Wow! It's probably the one I will buy.

Dungeon Petz
I looked at the reviews. This one seem to be very interesting too. I wonder which one would provide the much fun with my group? Play time is 90 minutes so that's a plus compared to the 2 other finalists (estimated to 120 and that is slightly more than desired).

The Manhattan Project
The theme is dark but quite funny in some way too (sorry Japan)

I can't make a choice now.. I wish there was some sort of direct comparison for these 3 games. I'll try to sort it out later. Or I could just try the game. There is an event coming up in april called JAB where I could try them out. I'll look at the entry price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fastlane wrote:
Selurevad wrote:
Dungeon Petz

Case closed

Yup the criteria for humor is why I went with Pets over Lords in my recommendation. Both obviously have humor buts its inherent in so many places in Petz its a dead ringer for the OP's requirements. And its not just poo related stuff, from the pets, to the owners, to all the poo requirements, to the mutations, to the imps getting hospitalized by keeping the pets in their cages etc... full of humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort is a great worker placement and resource management game... as far as humor, ehhhhh... there isn't much humor in the game. The art is nice, but if humor is a high priority, you probably won't find it in a medium to heavy game, as said above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend Dungeon Lords!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Alien Frontiers and Dungeon Petz.

Belfort looks good too but I haven't tried that one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Kingdom of Solomon

And maybe you should have a look at Stone Age too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreeing with Dungeon Lords

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Chang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawkeye77 wrote:
Power Struggle might be a good fit for you.

+1 to Power Struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any of the others but a definaetly thumbs up for dungeon pets.

We play poo jenga i think our record is 8 in one cage! Really looking forward to an expansion for it to give us new pets and buyers.

Mostly played it two players 4 is good as you have less control. Both are good but the game play does vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.