flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about trying the following to combat the HH:

Base rules that shipped with the game
French remove Bateaux from starting deck
New re-shuffle rule (happens at end of turn only) to avoid double merchanting
French may reserve up to 6 cards, Britain still can only reserve 5 (these can include locations)

The extra card allows:
Slightly easier dumping of junk
More room to save up Furs

Also, using the base rules where you can reserve locations makes the Governor somewhat useless (believe everyone agrees on this for the most part). What if you boosted Governor slightly and allowed it to remove either 1 card from your hand or 1 card from your Reserve. Additionally, you could allow the removal of a second card at the cost of 1 coin, a third card at the cost of 2 coins (similar to the Discard mechanic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Hur? Using reserve to "save up" furs seems horribly inefficient...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never done it but I saw someone else mention it on here. I could see utility in Reserving some of the crap location cards that are only useful because they have a Fur on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If these cards are only usefull because they have fur on them (i.e. Gaspe, Tadoussac) they are better trashed by the governator after being settled (just in case you have time for a settler strategy). However the 4point disc will attract the british for a quick siege. I usually trash these cards as soon as I have Ft.St-John and other location down the St-Lawrence or Richelieu, to maintain balance.

What could be interesting however, would be to take cards of you choice from your reserve, instead of only the whole gang, so you could reserve a governor, or something else (fort, settler) and your military, and use only the ones you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin518 wrote:
If these cards are only usefull because they have fur on them (i.e. Gaspe, Tadoussac) they are better trashed by the governator after being settled (just in case you have time for a settler strategy). However the 4point disc will attract the british for a quick siege. I usually trash these cards as soon as I have Ft.St-John and other location down the St-Lawrence or Richelieu, to maintain balance.

What could be interesting however, would be to take cards of you choice from your reserve, instead of only the whole gang, so you could reserve a governor, or something else (fort, settler) and your military, and use only the ones you need.

I'm under the impression that under the old rules (able to reserve locations) high level players did not buy the Governor as you're better off just placing less useful cards in the reserve.

Thus, I thought increasing the French reserve by 1 would be a slight advantage that would help thin their deck further while giving them options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about getting rid of the French trader cards entirely? Allow them to simply use a fur card as a virtual trader? In other words, trade in n fur cards for 2 x (n-1) money?

A 6-hand card limit may also be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
What about trying the following to combat the HH:

Base rules that shipped with the game
French remove Bateaux from starting deck
New re-shuffle rule (happens at end of turn only) to avoid double merchanting
French may reserve up to 6 cards, Britain still can only reserve 5 (these can include locations)

How does it combat the HH? Strenghtening the French that way doesn't change the fact the HH is by far the best British strategy and improving French ability to reserve will force the British to use HH to have a chance to win, which results in a boring, repetitive way of playing the game. While it's the HH that should be directly blunted somehow: by promoting a fatter deck so the game can be played as it was intended or by decreasing the number of military cards in British deck and putting brakes on their money engine, which was lately discussed on the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls