Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Question for the designers/publishers: Did you expect it to be this big? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Chandler
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm certain you loved your game and had hopes it would do well, but what with the game selling out in pre-orders (with an MSRP of $100 US) and yesterday's supernova expansion selling out faster than any BGG pre-order before, and the rocket-like climb up the BGG rankings (8th at the time I write this) I think it is clear that what we have here is an absolute success.

Did you expect this? Did you even hope for this level of popularity? It seems like not only have you made a great game, but you found an itch that needed scratching in the Board game community. I am curious as to your thoughts on all of this, now that the 1st printing is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCourty
United Kingdom
Altrincham
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect most game designers think their game will get to at least number 8!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Re: Question for the designers/publishers: Did you expect it to be this big?
I suspect the initial print run would have been larger if they "expected" it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not so sure that the initial run would have been larger. A smaller run creates more demand and more hype for the second run.

But more importantly, at the time when this run was coming out, it was probably an choice between delaying 3 months or having a smaller run. Remember it was ready just in time for Essen, and there was all that stuff with manufacturers this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
djc6535 wrote:
I'm certain you loved your game and had hopes it would do well, but what with the game selling out in pre-orders (with an MSRP of $100 US) and yesterday's supernova expansion selling out faster than any BGG pre-order before, and the rocket-like climb up the BGG rankings (8th at the time I write this) I think it is clear that what we have here is an absolute success.

Did you expect this? Did you even hope for this level of popularity? It seems like not only have you made a great game, but you found an itch that needed scratching in the Board game community. I am curious as to your thoughts on all of this, now that the 1st printing is done.

When I played one of the first Eclipse prototypes for the first time back in Spring 2010, I had a feeling that this game could be really succesful. Because the game was so good and Touko and Sampo had some earlier experience on publishing board games, I thought it'd be just a matter of time when Eclipse will be published. And it's been very interesting to see how well the game has been received in BGG community as well.

I've been playing board games very actively for 10 years now and only three games have produced this kind of awesome feeling: Puerto Rico, Agricola and Eclipse. After the game when you go home, you cannot stop thinking about the game. And if it was possible, you'd be playing the game all the time. The day I got my own copy of Eclipse, we played it 3 times in a row and a few people kept on gaming for the whole night even after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Touko Tahkokallio
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In forehand, it is quite difficult to know what the big audience will think, especially in this case as the game is a hybrid game in many ways. Will it find the right audience? Will it find any audience? First of all, will it find a publisher...?

However, during the development process, we got amazingly good feedback from our playtesters. Also we really, really enjoyed the game ourselves. So we were quite hopeful that other people would like it as well. But despite the optimism we had, it's been amazing to see the response. Thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting to score a copy but don't really want to pay $150 to get it... any idea of an official date for a second edition print run?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May - June 2012. Time to befriend someone with a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
May - June 2012. Time to befriend someone with a copy.

-Thanks-... no kidding!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.