Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Roderick
United States
Blue Ridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
God’s purpose for my life was that I have a passion for God’s glory and that I have a passion for my joy in that glory, and these two are one passion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the dilemma.

If you could trade one of your games for only one of the following Wallace games:

Tinner's Trail
Byzantium
Automobile
First Train to Nuremberg

Which would it be and why? I am in this predicament and I am a huge fan of Age of Steam and Brass. Thanks for any and all strong opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having played first train, I would absolutely select Automobile from your chosen set. Plays nicely with 3-5 players and of those listed it is the one in which economic decisions are most important. It certainly is a great game!

If you like Age of Steam, Tinner's Trail will be too easy for you, unless you are specifically looking for a shorter train game (in which case I'd recommend Wabash Cannonball, though it is not a Wallace design)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
bachismyhero wrote:
Here's the dilemma.

If you could trade one of your games for only one of the following Wallace games:

Tinner's Trail
Byzantium
Automobile
First Train to Nuremberg

Which would it be and why? I am in this predicament and I am a huge fan of Age of Steam and Brass. Thanks for any and all strong opinions.

I am more of a fan of his "conflict" games, and would have chosen Byzantium for myself. It's a strange and interesting game, if not a little delicate.

But looking at how you like Steam and Brass, I would go with First Train to Nuremberg for you.

I've played all the games you listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d go for First Train to Nuremberg. Although I can see arguments for Automobile, I think First Train has more replayability. Automobile is very dependent on what players do to provide variety. Tinner's Trail is Wallace light. (I haven't tried Byzantium but that's not the sort of Wallace game I enjoy most.)

None of them are as good as Age of Steam or Brass, though, so don't get your hopes up too much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it depends on which version of Automobile it is. If it is the Treefrog version I would go for it or if it is the new deluxe version I would go for it as well. Otherwise First Train to Nuremberg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Automobile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like AoS and Brass then First Train would be your logical choice. My personal recommendation however would be for Byzantium. I really like the game mechanics on that one and you're playing both sides of the fence to gain your points. It's a rather unique game system and the game actions fit the theme nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
none of them.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roderick
United States
Blue Ridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
God’s purpose for my life was that I have a passion for God’s glory and that I have a passion for my joy in that glory, and these two are one passion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
none of them.

-M

And what would your astute recommendation be?

Quote:
Automobile.

The "and why" part of the query was important to me, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted the pixels. So...

and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Parker
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Automobile is the best game of the four, even though I like the other three just fine. I personally find First Train to Nuremburg slightly aggrevating to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Tinner's and Automobile, and I think they're both great. Automobile takes longer and is a little more of a brain burner. Tinner's Trail is a little lighter (lighter than Steam; I have not played Brass), so it is easier to get to the table.

If you get Byzantium or First Train, report back on what you think. I am curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens KH
Germany
Karben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AoS and Brass are both in my top 10.

I haven't played Byzantium, but I'm not such a big fan of the Wallace wargames that I have played.

First Train and Tinners' Trail are both great games, and which of them I'd choose depends on what you're looking for. I'd say First Train is closer to the type of game that AoS and Brass represent. Tinners' Trail is a little lighter, almost suitable for casual play.

I didn't care for Automobile very much. It's not bad, but it's lacking the trademark Wallace'y quirkinessI like, and for me, the (unfortunately crucial) demand mechanism pretty much ruins it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
bachismyhero wrote:
Here's the dilemma.

Tinner's Trail
Byzantium
Automobile
First Train to Nuremberg

If you like those games because of the depth, and for the network-building: First Train to Nuremberg
If you're really into the economic side of things: Automobile (although First Train would probably also interest you)

Tinner's Trail is an excellent game, but in this case probably ranks 3rd; or higher if you're looking for a shorter, lighter game with more randomness.

Byzantium is a very different type of game; definitely try-before-you-buy because it's totally unlike those other 2 games despite coming from the same designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roderick
United States
Blue Ridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the thoughtful recommendations. I am chewing on this for a while. If I pull the trigger shortly, I'll post back here with results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Of those 4 I'd choose Automobile. It's a solid game but I'd also agree with those above... it's no Brass or Age of Steam.

A Few Acres of Snow or London would be good alternatives as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.