Popular Tags: [View All]
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to run a math trade unrelated to board games. Does anyone know of any web or desktop software that works like the OLWLG but without the requisite integration with BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
you could try see if the aussie's tool mentioned in

Australian Maths Trade Tools

will, I haven't had a chance to try it out myself to know either way

just out of curiosity what will be getting traded? I've heard of ones for CD's and/or DVD's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of anything within a certain value range. Clothing, small appliances, books, DVDs, etc. I've got a lot of friends who are big into trading and re-using things, and math trades might work for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:
I'm planning to run a math trade unrelated to board games. Does anyone know of any web or desktop software that works like the OLWLG but without the requisite integration with BGG?

I did a few MT's for a vinyl figure collector's site. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything like the OLWLG. I had to do it strictly through spreadsheet work. Ultimately it was a lot of work, and why we stopped doing them.

TradeMax worked awesome, though, and all of the MT's worked out perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There iswas an outfit peddling a solution for this, but I think they ran into some issues with their business model - ie they couldn't make money from it.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16543374#16543374

abecorn.com was the site, but there's nothing there now. Edit: oh, something appeared after a while.

It's not a bad idea at all; sort of like eBay used to be when folks could sell tchotkes and schmutter for not very much with not very much fee.

I reckon there's money to be made from an auction site that allows individual people to sell tchotkes and schmutter for not very much with low fees now that ebay is just another bloody retail portal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:
I was thinking of anything within a certain value range. Clothing, small appliances, books, DVDs, etc. I've got a lot of friends who are big into trading and re-using things, and math trades might work for them.

http://www.swapdom.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might sound a bit weird, but: sure, the OLWLG is connected to BGG, but would it actually be "impossible" to trade non-gamin related items using it? The traders would oviously need a BGG account, a registration will probably be required anyway though.
I'd ask Jeff in advance if he is fine with a "Games, Video Games, CDs, DVDs, books, clothes and other stuff" - trade executed via his tool.

Just some thoughts, it probably won't happen because of various reasons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BentlyCash wrote:
sparr0 wrote:

http://www.swapdom.com/

This looks pretty much like a Math Trade that is not limited/related to games. (Am I missing a difference?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:

Do you need an option to make the trade exclusibely available to a certain group of people ("your friends")??

This might be theoretically possible at a Math Trade (very uncommon though).
Proffessional services (like http://www.swapdom.com/) will probably not give you this option. (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abecorn can provide the type of service you're looking for if face to face is your prefered option. We're redoing the interface from our old system so trades aren't quiet up and running yet. At least a couple more weeks before we put the pieces back together.

Swap.com isn't bad, but youve got to pay to ship to their warehouse and they take a cut.

Swapdom.com also isn't bad, but it's also only shipping and they charge you a fee for shipping.

Neither of their services allow for the dense connections that the OLWLG or Abecorn provides since you can control the length of time people make their "want" lists.

We've run 18 trades thus far on our service. Mostly out of Seattle, Portland, a couple purely digital trades, and one at the World Boardgame Championship in Lancaster, PA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.