Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Just got this sci-fi novel from the library and it's about BOARD GAMING rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skeeve Yoshikawa
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I was browsing through the library last week, looking for something different to read and this caught my eye.
I realize the book is four years old, so you may have already discussed it.

Harry Turtledove is one of my favorite authors and when I saw the cover, I knew I HAD to read it.
It's set in an alternate future communist Italy, ruled by the Russians.
A board game shop sets up and the teenage heroes of the book learn how capitalists ran railroads for profit and how much fun the games are--
which immediately sets them against the secret police.
Then they learn that the people running the game store are time-travellers who use boardgames to foment revolution.
I've not finished the book, yet, but either way, it's fun to see railroad games used as "counter-revoulutionary" tools. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Skeeve wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was browsing through the library last week, looking for something different to read and this caught my eye.
I realize the book is four years old, so you may have already discussed it.

Harry Turtledove is one of my favorite authors and when I saw the cover, I knew I HAD to read it.
It's set in an alternate future communist Italy, ruled by the Russians.
A board game shop sets up and the teenage heroes of the book learn how capitalists ran railroads for profit and how much fun the games are--
which immediately sets them against the secret police.
Then they learn that the people running the game store are time-travellers who use boardgames to foment revolution.
I've not finished the book, yet, but either way, it's fun to see railroad games used as "counter-revoulutionary" tools. :cool:

And no doudt the USA ends up ruling the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

One can only hope... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im in between books just now...perhaps I'll try and look this up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another good one; Iain Banks' The Player of Games...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Player-Games-Culture-Iain-Banks/dp/1...

...though the boards in the game are even bigger than Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:

Which is what I expected when i clicked this link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to look into this book. I love Harry turtledoves work. In the presence of mine enemies is one of my favorite books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a novel about a real game? The new (posthumous) novel by Roberto Bolano "The Third Reich", a critically acclaimed book that is centred on a misanthrope obsessed with the wargame Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.

From the Amazon summary:

Shortly after becoming the German war-games champion, Udo Berger and his girlfriend, Ingeborg, holiday on the Costa Brava. There they meet another vacationing German couple, Charly and Hanna, and a band of shady locals who introduce them to the darker side of life in the town. Then, late one night, Charly disappears without a trace, and Udo’s well-ordered life is thrown into upheaval . . . Frightened, Udo refuses to leave, even after Ingeborg returns home, and his increasingly feverish dreams push him into delirium. As everything slips beyond his grasp, he attempts to re-assert himself by engaging the enigmatic and severely disfigured El Quemado – a foreigner who lives in a Spartan burrow on the beach – in a days-long match of his favourite war game, Third Reich. But, too late to stop the madness, he realizes that the consequences of this game are much more serious than he ever imagined. Combining the exhilaration of The Savage Detectives with the darkness of his later work, The Third Reich – Bolaño’s first new novel since the epic 2666 – is a visceral book exploring memory, madness and violence. It is both the perfect way to discover the dazzling genius of Roberto Bolaño and an unmissable addition to the oeuvre for those who already have. ‘Bolaño writes with such elegance, verve and style and is immensely readable’ Guardian ‘Readers who have snacked on a writer such as Haruki Murakami will feast on Roberto Bolaño’ Sunday Times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another one that can be a bit disturbing (especially for somebody like me!). A well written novel of when a person can't separate reality from the game.

And here's a series that I wish WOULD be made into a game! The Lost regiment series by William Forstchen.

Would you believe Yankees vs. Orcs in a very convincing sci-fi treatise on the escalation of war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schkff wrote:
How about a novel about a real game? The new (posthumous) novel by Roberto Bolano "The Third Reich", a critically acclaimed book that is centred on a misanthrope obsessed with the wargame Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.

From the Amazon summary:

Shortly after becoming the German war-games champion, Udo Berger and his girlfriend, Ingeborg, holiday on the Costa Brava. There they meet another vacationing German couple, Charly and Hanna, and a band of shady locals who introduce them to the darker side of life in the town. Then, late one night, Charly disappears without a trace, and Udo’s well-ordered life is thrown into upheaval . . . Frightened, Udo refuses to leave, even after Ingeborg returns home, and his increasingly feverish dreams push him into delirium. As everything slips beyond his grasp, he attempts to re-assert himself by engaging the enigmatic and severely disfigured El Quemado – a foreigner who lives in a Spartan burrow on the beach – in a days-long match of his favourite war game, Third Reich. But, too late to stop the madness, he realizes that the consequences of this game are much more serious than he ever imagined. Combining the exhilaration of The Savage Detectives with the darkness of his later work, The Third Reich – Bolaño’s first new novel since the epic 2666 – is a visceral book exploring memory, madness and violence. It is both the perfect way to discover the dazzling genius of Roberto Bolaño and an unmissable addition to the oeuvre for those who already have. ‘Bolaño writes with such elegance, verve and style and is immensely readable’ Guardian ‘Readers who have snacked on a writer such as Haruki Murakami will feast on Roberto Bolaño’ Sunday Times

If it were about Diplomacy I might understand, but Third Reich?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Keuler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought for sure this was going to be about Interstellar Pig. The game in this book was so interesting, I made a full blown version of it for a middle school project that, while not incredible, was playable. My friends and I would play it from time to time and had fun.

Great book, as well, so bonus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
If it were about Diplomacy I might understand, but Third Reich?

It is apparently what the author was into in the 80s. A breakthrough game for the time. It is on my list (and I was also a player in the 80s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Højslet
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

... Meeh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
rickkeuler wrote:
I thought for sure this was going to be about Interstellar Pig. The game in this book was so interesting, I made a full blown version of it for a middle school project that, while not incredible, was playable. My friends and I would play it from time to time and had fun.

A fine YA book. The sequel, unfortunately, blew chunks.
I can think of many sci-fi novels about videogaming, and more every publishing cycle, but boardgaming is still an odd fit for the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:

I've read a few of Banks' books and have loved them all. I'll have to check this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickkeuler wrote:

I read Interstellar Pig as a kid and loved it! I still remember one of the aliens using the phrase "that really helixed up our plans".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a good read is MasterPlay by William Wu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using a game as a central theme has been done a great many times. The earliest I can think of was The Chessmen of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (beating out Herman Hesse's Glass Bead Game by a decade or so). The cool thing about Chessmen of Mars was that Burroughs actually created a game worth playing: Jetan. I made my own Jetan set out of oven-fired clay 40 years ago...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
fluisterwoud wrote:
Siouxfire wrote:

I've read a few of Banks' books and have loved them all. I'll have to check this out.

Definitely! Here's a description of the game...

Quote:
Game elements

The game consists of a number of minor games, such as card games and elemental die matching, which allow the players to build up their forces for use on the game's three giant boards (in order; the Board of Origin, the Board of Form, and finally the Board of Becoming) and a number of minor boards.

The game uses a variety of pieces to represent a player's units (military, resource or even philosophical premises). Some of the pieces are genetically engineered constructs, which may change form during the game according to their use and environment. These respond to their handling by a player and appear difficult to understand — at one point in the book Gurgeh is encouraged to sleep while holding some of the more important pieces so he can better understand them in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quartex wrote:
rickkeuler wrote:

I read Interstellar Pig as a kid and loved it! I still remember one of the aliens using the phrase "that really helixed up our plans".

I remember reading Interstellar Pig to my kids, who also thought it was great. I enjoyed it with them; its Lovecraftian underpinnings were pretty funny.

That's cool that you made the game, Rick - I thought seriously about doing that myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Could be worse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
[...] Definitely! Here's a description of the game...

Quote:
Game elements

The game consists of a number of minor games, such as card games and elemental die matching, which allow the players to build up their forces for use on the game's three giant boards (in order; the Board of Origin, the Board of Form, and finally the Board of Becoming) and a number of minor boards.

The game uses a variety of pieces to represent a player's units (military, resource or even philosophical premises). Some of the pieces are genetically engineered constructs, which may change form during the game according to their use and environment. These respond to their handling by a player and appear difficult to understand — at one point in the book Gurgeh is encouraged to sleep while holding some of the more important pieces so he can better understand them in play.

There's also the various ways to up the stakes and to have side bets -- I don't have my copy to hand but IIRC they include pretty much everything from taking minor physical damage to mutilation/gelding/etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys will love me for this:

Geeklist: Books which include games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
In G.K. Chesterton's Napoleon of Notting Hill the defense of Notting Hill is coordinated by a toy-shop owner who learned tactics from wargames, and the warroom is the back of his shop.

Interesting considering the first popular codified rules for wargame miniatures was published 5 years later as Little Wars by Chesterton's friend, H.G. Wells.

The book also opens with this line:

"The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fluisterwoud wrote:
Siouxfire wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Banks was a big ol' gamer. There are several game-playing sequences in Inversions, and in one of them the characters just spend half a page name-dropping fictional games. Similarly, a major subplot in Consider Phlebas revolves around a card game, and The Steep Approach to Garbadale is about a guy who made his fortune through a board game company (which instantly makes it the most unrealistic of all, depite not being sf ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.