Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm not going to name-and-shame; for all I know BGG is ok with it. But looking at the entry for one particular game recently, I saw a blog associated with it that is explicitly about another, unrelated boardgame. Looking into the blog I see it's linked/associated with several other unrelated games, presumably in an effort to drive traffic to the blog. It bugs me primarily because I spent a fair amount of time digging through the blog looking for content on the game I was originally looking at, and there's nothing at all in there about it, or most (if not all) of the other linked games.

Who should I contact about this, to see if it's kosher or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a frequent annoyance for me also, although I haven't seen an extreme cynical case like you're describing. But links that trigger in my subscription for (e.g.) Power Grid (which I'm subscribed to) just because someone has a long blog entry about playing (e.g.) Agricola (which I'm not interested in) and mentions in passing one sentence like "We should try Power Grid sometime" is annoying and pointlessly triggers subscription notices for many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it won't solve this particular case, if subscription spam from blogs bug you in general you can disable it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty certain that link spamming your blog posts with lots of unrelated (or only slightly related) games is rather frowned upon by the overlords of BGG, although I could be wrong about that. Either way I long ago decided to use the solution proposed by James. If I want to read a specific blog I'll subscribe to it directly, otherwise they're more hassle to have on your subscription list than they're worth IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, thanks for the tips on blocking blogs from my subscriptions - but it seems like a shame to throw the babies out with the bathwater, based on this one person's (apparently) shady intent.

Does anyone know which mod would be the proper one to bring this up with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can forward the details to Octavian

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in several threads with blog authors here who simply didn't think about this aspect of it. I.e. it wasn't malice on their part, but apparently they simply assumed that the intent of the blog interface was to link to every game you mention in the blog.

I've not done any blogging here, so I don't know what the user interface looks like, but it seems a lot of this problem would be alleviated if the UI for linking to games in a blog entry gave some guidance. E.g. something like:

Quote:
Please remember that people subscribed to a specific game will get a subscription alert if you link to that game in your blog entry. Link to games which you discuss substantively. But please be courteous and don't link to games you only mention in passing, e.g. 'Oh, we also played Power Grid last night' or 'I never liked chess'. Consider whether someone interested in the game would be interested in this blog entry because of their interest in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
As a frequent blog writer it annoys me too. Typically I do not bother linking a game to a blog post unless I write at least a paragraph about the game or the topic is distinctly related to said game and I explain the context of why I am connecting the two.

I have not taken the option James mentioned yet, but I have gone ahead and made it so specific blogs will no longer show up. That way I will not continue to be inundated with their spam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find tagging a little odd on BGG blogs. I didn't realise at first that was what it did until I started getting notifications, but I see why people do it - most blogs have tagging functionality that just helps to organise their posts and facilitate search. I kind of assumed that aspect of the blogs was like tagging threads elsewhere, but that doesn't seem to be possible? I'd rather tag my blog posts with free text than choose just games etc that notify people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
As a frequent blog writer it annoys me too. Typically I do not bother linking a game to a blog post unless I write at least a paragraph about the game or the topic is distinctly related to said game and I explain the context of why I am connecting the two.

I have not taken the option James mentioned yet, but I have gone ahead and made it so specific blogs will no longer show up. That way I will not continue to be inundated with their spam.

Yeah... yours is the only blog that I actually subscribe to, just fyi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie, thanks for the info. I'll send him a geekmail in a minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.