Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Hensley
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently joined the Android cult by purchasing a Droid Bionic. Coming from a Blackberry, my first goal was to find out if Android apps were as great as all my friends had been telling me. One of my first downloads was Fruit Ninja. It was graphically appealing and just plain fun. Unfortunately, my 5-year-old daughter also came to the same conclusion. Then about a month ago my wife came home from work and told me that they had just received Fruit Ninja the Card Game. I instantly brought up the geek and found the UnboxingBoardGames video. It looked like it could be fun to play as a family...and convert them all to board gaming...

***psychotic laughter***

The game is simple. You cut the deck and choose either the card on top of the bottom half or the card on the bottom of the top half. On the cards are fruit, bananas, and bombs. As long as you continue to draw fruit and bananas your can keep cutting the remaining half of the deck and taking cards or you can save those you've already collected. If you draw a bomb, you lose it all. To win the game, you need to collect 25 total fruits or one of each of the seven kinds of fruit.

There are three colors used on the back of the cards to help give you an idea of what might be on the face of the card. Green cards have the fewest bombs but only include one piece of fruit. Yellow cards have a higher chance of ending your turn with a bomb but include two pieces of fruit. Finally, red cards are the most likely to "explode" but reward the risk-taker with five fruits.

To make the game even more interesting they've included Power Banana cards. There are three types: Steal One Fruit, Ignore One Bomb, and Take Another Turn. They can only be used after you have saved them on a previous turn, but are powerful game changers when used right.

My daughter and I love the game and, in fact, is currently rushing to clean up her toys so that we can introduce it to mommy in a few minutes. The game is very simply but it causes you to use some basic strategies, all of which my five year old is slowly getting a grasp of. The biggest is that you can only cut the deck so many times so you need to make smart decisions on how far down to cut. She also is making informed decision on which color to get depending on what fruit she has already collected. Learning when to play a banana and which one also is broadening her critical thinking skills.

Overall, this is a great family game, especially with younger children. It gets everyone off their smartphones and doing something together and makes for a great time. However, don't expect any deep strategies or lack of sleep from wondering "what if" as you head to bed. If you have small children or need a gateway game for someone attached to their smartphone, then this is a great buy for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it come with ads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hensley
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Re: Dad, Can We Put the Phone Away and Play for Real?
No ads...it is the "paid" version after all. I don't even think they took the time to advertise any other games on the box or in the instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll wait for the limited edition that comes with a samurai sword and plastic tarp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hensley
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually there is another fruit ninja game that comes with two (yes you heard right, two) plastic samurai swords and real plastic fruit and bombs. Didn't look as fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
cree47 wrote:
Actually there is another fruit ninja game that comes with two (yes you heard right, two) plastic samurai swords and real plastic fruit and bombs. Didn't look as fun though.

Gonna have to get right on that then, won't I. What's the expression...do it Chop Chop? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.