Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding the Hound of Tindalos's movement when using big box expansions. The Hound has special movement:
Quote:
When it moves, the Hound of Tindalos moves directly to the nearest investigator inside a location in Arkham.

On page 5 of the Dunwich Horror rulebook it states:
Quote:
Cards that refer to "Arkham" also apply to locations and areas in Dunwich.
The Kingsport Horror and Innsmouth Horror rulebooks state the same for their boards. I would assume that this rule applies to text on monster markers as well, not just text on cards.

Assuming those assumptions are correct, which investigator would be closer: an investigator on another game board that would be less movement spaces away by train, or an investigator who is on the same board as the Hound but who is more spaces away to travel?

For instance the Hound is at the Train Station in Arkham. Mandy Thompson is at Bishop's Brook Bridge in Dunwich which is one movement away by train but is on a completely different board. Harvey Walters is at South Church, which is on the same board as the Hound but is 6 movement away. The Hound then moves. Who would he move to, Mandy or Harvey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, you would measure both ways, using the train stations like investigators would. So Mandy would be dogfood.

Since no human mind can comprehend the non-Euclidean logic of the Hounds, don't try to make this make sense. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
stewaa991 wrote:
Assuming those assumptions are correct, which investigator would be closer: an investigator on another game board that would be less movement spaces away by train, or an investigator who is on the same board as the Hound but who is more spaces away to travel?

I have always argued that you count the spaces it would take to get to the other investigators through the train stations. This seemed to be in the spirit of the rules and make the most sense.

But it was ruled that an investigator on the same board is always closest no matter what. If the current board that the Hound is on does not meet the requirement, then it will transfer boards. If there is more than one board with an investigator that can be hounded, first player chooses.

Apparently the hound doesn't have a ticket to ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew I
United States
Milwaukee
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Another HoT question: Can the hound come get me if I'm at Devil Reef or Y'ha-nthlei? Similarly, if he spawns at Devil Reef, can he come get us on the mainland? My group plays that he moves between Falcon Point and Devil Reef as one space, but I've never found an actual rule and was curious as to what other groups do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that The Hound is an inter-dimensional being that is not subject to the normal rules of time and space. It's got to have some sort of teleportation ability; so, it ignores splashing into the water or diving into the vortex and appears in the location with the nearest investigator. If not, it would just stay there the whole game. For this same reason, you wouldn't be safe if you were there and were the nearest investigator.

I know Brian has worked extensively on the FAQ, but I still think The Hound, in your example, would wind up at Bishop's Brook Bridge with Mandy, one movement point away.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
andrewishi wrote:
Another HoT question: Can the hound come get me if I'm at Devil Reef or Y'ha-nthlei? Similarly, if he spawns at Devil Reef, can he come get us on the mainland? My group plays that he moves between Falcon Point and Devil Reef as one space, but I've never found an actual rule and was curious as to what other groups do.

Yes, I would count Devil Reef and Falcon Point as one space away for determining closest.

As to not counting the train station/depots, the logic is simple. The Hound isn't going to use the train. And while in game terms, the Train Station and Bishop's Brook Bridge are 1 space away, but this is one train space away, not walking distance like it is elsewhere. The geography is such that any where you are at in Arkham is still closer to anywhere else in Arkham than it would be in a town that is several miles away.

This makes logical sense in the "real world" and in the world of Arkham as well.

So while I personally prefer the "simple math" of counting spaces through the trains, it just wasn't ruled this way. I also thought this was ruled before we went into the FAQ review. I thought we got this as a forum post a long time ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
It seems that The Hound is an inter-dimensional being that is not subject to the normal rules of time and space. It's got to have some sort of teleportation ability; so, it ignores splashing into the water or diving into the vortex and appears in the location with the nearest investigator.

We live in the curves of time and space. The Hounds live in the angles of them. A Hound can enter and emerge through the place where any planes of any kind meet at any angle. The corner of two walls, a crack in a rock, possibly where the ground meets the water. I bet Devil Reef has...oh, at least a dozen angles. whistle

Entities that tend to move abruptly (rather than smoothly) through time and space (say, though a rip in such) might attract the attention of the Hounds, and they will hunt their prey tirelessly until it is caught. Taking a boat ride isn't going to faze them in the slightest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As to not counting the train station/depots, the logic is simple. The Hound isn't going to use the train. And while in game terms, the Train Station and Bishop's Brook Bridge are 1 space away, but this is one train space away, not walking distance like it is elsewhere. The geography is such that any where you are at in Arkham is still closer to anywhere else in Arkham than it would be in a town that is several miles away.

This is a good way of explaining it. If that is what the ruling was I think we'll go by that.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Taylor
msg tools
The hounds are much nastier when you forget they can't go into the hospital, and they (both were out) follow poor Sister Mary there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rtcmc wrote:
The hounds are much nastier when you forget they can't go into the hospital, and they (both were out) follow poor Sister Mary there.
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who has done that whistle And you're right: they are much nastier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dre Wamek
United States
ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing vanilla, 3 investigators. 2 in OW and 1 in the hospital. Hound is called to move by mythos card. Does he not move or does he just follow standard movement and go into the street?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hound doesn't move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dre Wamek
United States
ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
The Hound doesn't move.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.