Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Any recommendations for games that will get me into the whole "sci-fi" theme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliot Simpson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I've never been a sci-fi/space guy. I've always loved fantasy/medieval themes. I have never really even been exposed to sci-fi (I've only seen like half of a star wars film), so I think there's still a chance. Any recommendations for games that will get me into the whole sci-fi theme? I'm not looking for anything too complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
Damn, it feels good to be a hamster!
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of games and/or gameplay do you like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Simpson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Well, I'm really, really new to the whole board game scene, so I really don't know. I never tend to play games with more than 2-3 people, if that helps. Honestly, the only board games I've played so far is Summoner Wars, Quarriors, and Flash Duel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else will probably be able to point you to some games that are closer to that kind of game play.

As far as my favorite space game so far, I would have to say Race for the Galaxy.

I also like Battlestar Galactica, but that might be more complex then you will want to get into at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Fleet Captains is also suppose to be good, but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out ...

Nexus Ops ... well designed board game

Core Worlds ... deck building game - excellent empire builder.

Gears of War ... miniatures based board game

Galaxy Trucker ... you need a sense of humor for this one as you watch the spaceship you carefully built get torn apart by various cosmic dangers.

Conquest of Planet Earth ... cooperative or competitive board game that pays homage to the B Scifi movies of the 50's.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good suggestions from others but this should get you started.

Good luck in your quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like dice in your games Alien Frontiers would be worth a try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found Carpe Astra and Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League to be a excellent sci-fi games. I haven't played it, but Terra Prime looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not finish the movie first and see what you think . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch the season of Firefly. It's only fourteen episodes long, and I bet after one or two you will be hooked. It's a hodgepodge of genres (comedy, western, etc) but primarily sci-fi. If you don't like that series, you probably don't like sci-fi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple....Eclipse!! Amazing game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You're probably better off reading some sci-fi or watching some movies first before buying games.
If the genre doesn't grab you you're unlikely to enjoy sci-fi themed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Or watch a good sci-fi movie instead of Star Wars.

Try Firefly (TV) and Serenity (movie) by Josh Wheaton and the new Battlestar Galatica series as a starting point. Books should also help: Asimov, Dick, Le Guin, Herbert, Pohl, Heinlein, Clarke, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Alien Frontiers, Galaxy Trucker, Nexus Ops and Carpe Astra.

I'd also have a look at Eminent Domain, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game and Ascending Empires.

Race for the Galaxy and Eclipse are both excellent games but I think that they're probably a bit beyond what you're looking for in terms of weight of game just now. Not that RftG is that heavy but it has a steep learning curve whilst people internalise the iconography, although once that's been done it provides a huge pay-off in future plays of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Or watch a good sci-fi movie instead of Star Wars. [...]

QFT, +1thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
David N wrote:
tssfulk wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

QFT, +1thumbsup

Yes. Star Wars has clearly been a terrible example of film. Totally unapproachable and unwatachable.

How could anyone POSSIBLY recommend it?

But yeah, definitely watch something that's 14 episodes long to decide if you like science fiction or not.

(Firefly is great, and one of the few science fictiony things I'd tell someone who was unsure to watch. Along with Star Wars. Get real.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
David N wrote:
tssfulk wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

QFT, +1thumbsup

Yes. Star Wars has clearly been a terrible example of film. Totally unapproachable and unwatachable.

But yeah, definitely watch something that's 14 episodes long to decide if you like science fiction or not.

(Firefly is great, and one of the few science fictiony things I'd tell someone who was unsure to watch. Along with Star Wars. Get real.)

I would call Star Wars a great gateway game sci-fi movie. I watch and read every and all kinds of sci-fi, and I still consider Star Wars a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Elliotpwnz wrote:
I have never really even been exposed to sci-fi (I've only seen like half of a star wars film)

Star Wars isn't sci-fi, it's a space opera, try "2001".

Oh wait, 2001 isn't sci-fi, it's a head film, try "The Boys from Brazil".

Oh wait, that's a WWII film (sort of), try "Earth Girls are Easy".

Oh wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Circle Pines
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Hnaarr oorrawarr!
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
Avoid watching The Fountain and Solaris.. unless you want to equate sci-fi with 'boring' and 'George Clooney's ass.'

You just became my best friend with that comment.

Its true. Avoid them. As for games, play Race of the Galaxy, or just wait for Star Trek Catan...then you'll be a shoe in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
Avoid watching The Fountain and Solaris.. unless you want to equate sci-fi with 'boring' and 'George Clooney's ass.'

Watch the original Russian version of Solaris instead. Still might be boring, but at least you don't get GC's bum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars are nice as kids' movies, but as an adult they are rather "meh" and I'd rather watch something else (and I love sci-fi). The parent didn't even finish watching it. There is probably a good reason for that.

scifiantihero wrote:
David N wrote:
tssfulk wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

QFT, +1thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
red black wrote:

Watch the original Russian version of Solaris instead. Still might be boring, but at least you don't get GC's bum.

Two Words: Blade Runner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
red black wrote:

Better yet, read the book by Stanislaw Lem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Here's my take on the question, for what it's worth:

Games are games. Just because they're sci-fi games doesn't mean they'll necessarily get you "into" the sci-fi genre, nor should you be turned off of them because you're not into the sci-fi genre. All the games listed are worth playing and stand up on their own merits. They just happen to be sci-fi themed.

Here's my case study: My wife isn't too keen on fantasy. She loves Battlelore and Battles of Westeros because she loves strategy games. When we play first-person shooters, she's into the WW2 ones because that's what she's into. All things being equal, she'll go for the theme she prefers. But when the games play differently, she'll go for the game she prefers despite the theme.

So don't think of them as sci-fi games. Think of them as games with a sci-fi theme and just play what looks fun. The theme does not necessarily make the game as it does a piece of fiction. A lot of them (all of them, perhaps) could just as easily be rethemed and still be as much fun.

If you're asking for a game as a way to get into sci-fi as a genre, you're barking up the wrong tree. Go with the other suggestions in the thread and watch a movie, TV show, or read a book. Then you'll be exposed to what the sci-fi genre really has to offer.

Hope that helps a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars isn't sci-fi, its fantasy that happens to have space ships in it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the original trilogy and several of the video games (KOTOR is awesome), but sci-fi it aint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.