Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just encountered a situation in the game where Athrogate got to use a Coordinated Assault. The battlerager did not kill the monster in front of him (Dinin,) but his companion Jarlaxle subsequently defeated a goblin archer.

It just happened that the treasure drawn was a fortune, so in this case it didn't matter who drew it. But if it were an item, who would claim it -- Athrogate (the active hero) or Jarlaxle (the hero who killed the monster)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galanodell Galanodell
Venezuela
flag msg tools
When you draw a treasure after killing a monster you can choose a hero to give it to (page 13, items). That means that treassures that are drawn do not belong to any player immediately but rather it has to be decided. Also remember that usually "you", "your hero" and "your active hero" refers to the same thing: The player that had a hero, encounter and villain phase. So if in your example the fortune card you drew said "You regain one hit point", the character that would heal would be Athorage and not Jarlaxle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If its not jarlaxle's hero phase he shouldn't be drawing treasure cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is "Once per turn, you may draw a Treasure card when you defeat a Monster." As a result most people play it that any hero killing a monster can draw a treasure even if they are somehow attacking on their own turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlebRittie wrote:
The rule is "Once per turn, you may draw a Treasure card when you defeat a Monster." As a result most people play it that any hero killing a monster can draw a treasure even if they are somehow attacking on their own turn.

In the combat section, it also says "when your hero defeats a monster, draw a treasure card". As you defeat a monster via combat in your Hero phase, it seems more correct to me that you only get a Treasure card if you defeat a monster via an attack in your Hero phase. It's more thematically correct IMO as well ... you kill the monster, you're there, you take its treasure. It dying 5 turns later from some caltrops you dropped back then, and now you're on the other side of the board, doesn't deserve treasure :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As you defeat a monster via combat in your Hero phase, it seems more correct to me that you only get a Treasure card if you defeat a monster via an attack in your Hero phase.

This entire thread is about situations where this isn't true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlebRittie wrote:
This entire thread is about situations where this isn't true.

You may have misread my "as". I was agreeing with Dave M, providing rules support for an interpretation that you should only ever pick up treasure when your Hero succeeds in an attack in its Hero phase. This interpretation also gets rid of all grey areas, such as the OP's, and is more thematic to boot. I prefer it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play , 1 treasure card, once per hero phase.
That seems to be the intention given throughout this board game series.
It also means that Drizzt doesn't collect treasure if Guen kills a monster, since that would happen during the villain phase. Same with caltrops etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galanodell Galanodell
Venezuela
flag msg tools
I disagree with this interpretation. Many cards cause you to act on your villain phase or to somehow deal damage on another players turn. I think that the treasure should be taken even if the monster its killed on a villain phase. If not, Catti Brie's counter strike stance, and Drizzt's last blood would not be such interesting abilities. I agree thought with the only one treasure per turn, no matter how many are killed and by how many heroes. Thats my POV of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only draw treasure if your Hero kills the monster.

The group gets the XP no matter how the monster dies.

I could quote the rules to back me up (this was discussed in the most recent PBF we played) but I'm too tired to look them up

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galanodell Galanodell
Venezuela
flag msg tools
That is still very ambiguous. What does it means "your hero kills the monster"? Say I choose to cave in the roof on the "Hero sacrifice" encounter. That deals 3 damage to everything on the tile. Did I kill a a monster then? Should I draw a treasure? Or, say I killed a monster on my hero phase, but then Drizzt uses last blood and kills a monster on my villain phase. Does he draws?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we all agree that the rule is ambiguous. Until someone sucks an answer out of the publisher or the designer, all you can do is come up with an interpretation that you like best and agree it up front. The examples you cite are exactly why I like the interpretation that you only get a treasure in your Hero Phase when your Hero kills a monster with an attack (max 1 per Hero Phase of course). Clean and simple, with no confusion about stuff that happens in the encounter phase. And it makes the game just that little bit tougher as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think differentiating between killing a monster with an at-will during your own hero phase and killing a monster with an at-will because of Last Blood or Inspiring Strike or whatever is too arbitrary for my tastes. I can get behind not including stuff like Caltrops though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.