Alec
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be really interested to see a Houston based No-ship Math Trade, but I've only recently been involved in my first math trade, and I know next to nothing about moderating one or organizing the event.

It would be great though to be able to participate in one of these locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Texjets281 wrote:
I'd be really interested to see a Houston based No-ship Math Trade, but I've only recently been involved in my first math trade, and I know next to nothing about moderating one or organizing the event.

It would be great though to be able to participate in one of these locally.

You should find a local gaming event which could host all participants in the math trade, in case it's necessary, before even contemplating this and, once you find such an event, ask the permission of the event organizers.

Most no-ship math trades revolve around existing cons or gatherings of some sort. You need a time and place for the main exchange of items which is large enough and guaranteed to be available to you. It also helps if you have someone willing to act as an "organizer" for the exchange.

If you have all of that, the process of running a local MT is relatively easy. If you want to do it and need some guidance, let me know - I'm happy to help. I have a little experience in this area...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
If you have all of that, the process of running a local MT is relatively easy.

I'll second that! I just ran a "Mock Math Trade" as my first (from the organizer side), and I was surprised just how easy it really was!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
If you have all of that, the process of running a local MT is relatively easy.

I'll second that! I just ran a "Mock Math Trade" as my first (from the organizer side), and I was surprised just how easy it really was!

Once you know what to do, it's mostly just a time-suck. A good moderator checks in frequently in case of any issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Houston has a lot of far-flung gaming groups. I could see something like this becoming an annual event.

I volunteer to work the day of the event, I'm good with organizing physical objects, including people. Computers, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
Houston has a lot of far-flung gaming groups. I could see something like this becoming an annual event.

That would be cool, but do you have a local con or something which could host the exchange?

I've run 9-10 local MT's and can assure you that you need some sort of event (small or large) as a focal point for the exchange if you want to make this work. As Sam says, Houston has a lot of far-flung gaming groups, and I'm sure no-one wants to have to spend the time and money driving all over the area to make their deliveries. Having a single point of exchange simplifies things immensely and will lead to greater participation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Yee
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, Houston is on the other side of Texas from me so no "No-Ship's" for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.