Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good game with "chance cards" (a la Monopoly) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids enjoy playing Monopoly, The Game of Life, and Pay Day. I don't.

One thing they enjoy about these games, I think, are the chance cards, that is, the cards you draw that describe various lucky or unlucky things that happen to you (win a prize, get a hospital bill, get a pay raise, go to jail, etc.).

What good games out there would people recommend that have something approximating chance cards? I'm curious.

Long Shot is one possibility. I can't think of others off the top of my head. Any suggestions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're stuck playing "that kind of game", Careers is one of the least painful. You actually have quite a few decisions to make.

Quite a few games have "Event Cards", which can have a similar feel. One example is Vanished Planet, which is one of my favorite games but I'm guessing wouldn't be a great recommendation for you in this case. Hopefully other people can think of better examples.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
My kids enjoy playing Monopoly, The Game of Life, and Pay Day. I don't.

One thing they enjoy about these games, I think, are the chance cards, that is, the cards you draw that describe various lucky or unlucky things that happen to you (win a prize, get a hospital bill, get a pay raise, go to jail, etc.).

What good games out there would people recommend that have something approximating chance cards? I'm curious.

Long Shot is one possibility. I can't think of others off the top of my head. Any suggestions?


Catan has the Developement cards.
Nexus Ops has the Mission cards.
Many cooperative games have many random card draws. Arkham Horror / Pandemic / Forbidden Island
Similarly, solo games like the States of Siege series use random card draw to drive the game. Ottoman Sunset / Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite games from my childhood years is Squatter
Although it looks like a simple roll and move affair, there is economic management in the buying and selling of sheep. The "Stock Market" cards are random and can influence the profit to be had, as well as random "Tucker Bag" chance cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights is worth looking into.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mabb Queen
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't mention the ages of your children, or their thematic interests, but what about something like Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)? My 8 year old likes this one, but it is heavily fantasy based. There are card draws each turn which provide random events and the roll and move is there as well.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
saltis wrote:
One of my favorite games from my childhood years is Squatter
Although it looks like a simple roll and move affair, there is economic management in the buying and selling of sheep. The "Stock Market" cards are random and can influence the profit to be had, as well as random "Tucker Bag" chance cards.


The horrible irony though is that you can't get the damned thing in Australia any more - loved playing it as a kid, want to again cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
saltis wrote:
One of my favorite games from my childhood years is Squatter
Although it looks like a simple roll and move affair, there is economic management in the buying and selling of sheep. The "Stock Market" cards are random and can influence the profit to be had, as well as random "Tucker Bag" chance cards.


The horrible irony though is that you can't get the damned thing in Australia any more - loved playing it as a kid, want to again cry


I was pretty sure I saw a few copies at an Australian Geographic Store a couple of years ago. Also looks like its avalable here [geekurl=[http://www.funatical.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=squatter]Funatical/geekurl]
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of Small World, because for one thing, kids could have a lot of fun turning over the combinations of powers and races (eg. Commando Elves, Flying Ratmen, or Diplomat Ghouls), which will change each game.

Additionally, you could look at the Small World: Tales and Legends expansion, which adds a deck of cards to the game. Basically you draw a card each turn which will affect the state of the game for that turn, sometimes in subtle ways, and sometimes in huge, game-changing ways! And you can adapt the deck one way or the other, or play with a big, random assortment of chaos!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
saltis wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
saltis wrote:
One of my favorite games from my childhood years is Squatter
Although it looks like a simple roll and move affair, there is economic management in the buying and selling of sheep. The "Stock Market" cards are random and can influence the profit to be had, as well as random "Tucker Bag" chance cards.


The horrible irony though is that you can't get the damned thing in Australia any more - loved playing it as a kid, want to again cry


I was pretty sure I saw a few copies at an Australian Geographic Store a couple of years ago. Also looks like its avalable here [geekurl=[http://www.funatical.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=squatter]Funatical/geekurl]



Oooh, pretty.... Ta muchly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.