Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got my first Gigantic Poster Map game scheduled for Saturday and I was wondering what, if any, variants people have tried and enjoyed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to play vanilla, but I thought I'd canvas opinion as part of my extensive preparations for this momentous event
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work Mr Ed! I think with the bigger map, the quickstart options are justified. I tend to just give each player 1 card from the basic 3 techs (thruster, robonaut, refinery), rather than 6 (+ radiator, reactor and generator).

Be good to see a session report when your done Last one to Pluto's a loser!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Good work Mr Ed! I think with the bigger map, the quickstart options are justified. I tend to just give each player 1 card from the basic 3 techs (thruster, robonaut, refinery), rather than 6 (+ radiator, reactor and generator).

Be good to see a session report when your done Last one to Pluto's a loser!

The winner will be the first person to get to Uranus. (Canonical reply: "MY Anus???").

We're starting early and finishing late. I'll probably take some pictures early on, but then get drunk and not bother
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind altering substances and mind altering games are a dangerous mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew_Eklund wrote:
Is that from personal experience Matt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mbmbmbmbmb
At express setup, I like the 16 WT variant instead of 6 cards (since it gives more value to the research auction instead of working around your initial cards). We also consider Deimos as a "C" site. I am still testing my Hidden Agenda variant to have a difinite conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew_Eklund wrote:

Oh. Am I taking the name of the game a little too literally, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Single Malt Scotch = rocket fuel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad German
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wykthor wrote:
At express setup, I like the 16 WT variant instead of 6 cards (since it gives more value to the research auction instead of working around your initial cards). We also consider Deimos as a "C" site. I am still testing my Hidden Agenda variant to have a difinite conclusion.

We tried the 13 WT variant quick start (basic game). In the end I didn't find it sped things up much.

I don't like the idea of blindly giving each player 3 cards due to the luck factor. I think the next game I will try a draft. One of each card type out per player, then doing a first to last, last to first draft. Each player will draft one of each card type and their faction. The main problem with this would be with a new player not knowing a card or factions value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormbani wrote:

I don't like the idea of blindly giving each player 3 cards due to the luck factor. I think the next game I will try a draft. One of each card type out per player, then doing a first to last, last to first draft. Each player will draft one of each card type and their faction. The main problem with this would be with a new player not knowing a card or factions value.

I agree with the luck factor of dishing out random cards. It works okay with a small number of players, but with large groups of 4 or 5 players, there just aren't enough cards, and there is too much variance among the few cards that there are, to give a random one to every player.

I personally don't see giving bonus cards or WT really impacting play time much. The thing that takes the most time in this game is planning a mission once you have most of your cards in hand. Accumulating your initial set of wt and cards using the existing mechanics doesn't take vert long anyway, in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T minus 8 hours.

The poster is down and docked with the table.
Supplies have been laid in.
Latest living rules modifications inhaled.

Next:
Music playlist.
Decide whether or not to print and laminate some updated player sheets (as I'm 1st edition old skool).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T minus 5 hours

Lego spaceships built.
Extra side-tables procured.

Music still needs attention.
New laminated player aids starting to look less likely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lookin' good. . .

Edit: except for one of my wife's hairs stuck between the poster and the perspex. There is no prize for spotting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T minus 3 hours

Playlist complete!
Complete albums:
EVE Online Soundtrack by Jon Hallur Haraldsson.
Microgravity by Biosphere

Selected tracks from:
Moon Safari by Air
Colourform by Higher Intelligence Agency
Equinox by Jean-Michel Jarre
The Mix - Kraftwerk
U.F.Orb by The Orb
Dreamfish by Pete Namlook & Mixmaster Morris.

Yes. Noodly electronica. Space music. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that was. . .disappointing.

I might yet do a proper session report but it was probably one of the least enjoyable games of HF I've played yet.

We started with 4 players which puts a lot more pressure on getting the decent patents than we're used to. Some players were very rusty and that led to me having to help run most people's turns for a good while. And I made a horrific error on one guy's turn that then led him to get half way to Uranus (MY anus?) with an illegal rocket. We more or less recovered from that but it left a bad taste. His mission ended up with 3 busted claims on the small Uranus moons then failed rad checks decommissioned all his radiators.

The UN were doing OK. They got some factories working but barely set foot outside the inner system.

My game mostly consisted of busting a claim, spending 5 years doing ISRU refuelling with an ISRU3 robonaut then pootling off to the next site to blow another prospecting role. I got one factory running on a size 5 site. My second mission failed 7 prospecting rolls in a row.

By this time one player had dropped out, the Almost King Of Uranus (MY anus?) had no factories and was amusing himself trying to annoy everyone else (he was PRC), I had one factory and the UN had 3. At about 1am and after 5 hours of play we decided to call it a night and concede to the UN.

I'll see if I can post a picture of my massive trail of black discs if nothing else

It's always great to play HF, though. Even when it sucks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely be using the extra starting water variant next time. And also probably the two-strikes prospecting variant.

I know space exploration is risky and difficult but I'm prepared to take Phil Eklund's word on this at face value: I don't need the game to reinforce the message for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear you had a disappointing session. When I run it for my son and his friends, I still find I'm having to run every mission, almost like a multi solitaire with onlookers So I feel your pain (and what a real life headache I ended up with after the last game)

I was able to run a four player game with my *very* experienced group of gamers (estb 1983) and I was delighted I started each with 12 WT. This saw the colonisation of Mars and the Moon, and one rocket (Orion Project) reaching the small moonlets of Jupiter!

But at times it still felt like a multi player cooperative

HF is not a game for the light hearted!

-John

(I STRONGLY recommend the 12 WT starting rule, it cuts at least 1 hour from game length without significant impact on actual game play)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnMcKendrick wrote:

(I STRONGLY recommend the 12 WT starting rule, it cuts at least 1 hour from game length without significant impact on actual game play)

And I strongly recommend responding with "MY anus??" every time someone say's Uranus. Childish? Very. But it added some much-needed levity to the proceedings. Especially when everyone hit it in chorus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forty One
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuffed to bits to see you using the lego models.

Going to adopt your Uranus house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.