Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had looked up MEQ and WotR a few times already, but they never really interested me. Then finally after reading more about it this past week and watching some videos, I sort of changed my mind. However, I only wanted to buy one. I knew that eventually I would get both, but for now, there was only enough finances for one of these big games. I seemd to like how MEQ played over WotR so I immediately purchased that one. Unfortunately, as I peruse through the forums, I am seeing more people liking WotR way better than MEQ. I guess that's a lesson learned there. Even though I will get WotR later, I kind of wanted to get the better version first. But who knows? I may end up liking MEQ. I also bought it because it was 2 players as well which is how we roll most of the time. After reading more in the forums, it's best played with 3-4 even though there is a 2 player variant. Did I really screw myself and get the worse of the two? I'm sure people will comment saying to make up my own mind and blah blah blah. Just curious what others might think.

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
I find these two games to be totally different from each other. About the only thing they have in common is they're both Lord of the Rings games played on a big map of Middle Earth. It's kinda weird to read how you're talking about them as two 'versions' of something.

Fryd Pickles wrote:
Even though I will get WotR later, I kind of wanted to get the better version first.

But the weirdest part of your post was this:

Fryd Pickles wrote:
I also bought it because it was 2 players as well which is how we roll most of the time. After reading more in the forums, it's best played with 3-4 even though there is a 2 player variant.

So you wanted a 2-player LotR game and chose MEQ over WotR.

Fryd Pickles wrote:
I had looked up MEQ and WotR a few times already, but they never really interested me. Then finally after reading more about it this past week and watching some videos, I sort of changed my mind.

Not sure what you read or saw, but I guess maybe you should have read/watched some more... Impulse buy indeed

MEQ and WotR are both cool. For 2 players, I would never have gone for MEQ myself, since WotR is *perfect* for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a bunch of threads in the MEQ forums that discuss this very same question. MEQ is an adventure game while WotR is a wargame. They're both excellent and highly regarded games, neither is "better" than the other. It comes down to whether you want a wargame or not. MEQ is probably the more innovative of the two, while WotR is more exciting and tense. Both are very thematic and use top quality components. Personally, I think you chose wisely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although WOTR is one of my favorite games, and it now sees more table time than MEQ, I actually think that MEQ plays better with two people than three or four. The problem with co-op games is that sometimes you can have an alpha or more experienced player kind of making everyone's decisions anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiet wrote:
I find these two games to be totally different from each other. About the only thing they have in common is they're both Lord of the Rings games played on a big map of Middle Earth. It's kinda weird to read how you're talking about them as two 'versions' of something.

Fryd Pickles wrote:
Even though I will get WotR later, I kind of wanted to get the better version first.

But the weirdest part of your post was this:

Fryd Pickles wrote:
I also bought it because it was 2 players as well which is how we roll most of the time. After reading more in the forums, it's best played with 3-4 even though there is a 2 player variant.

So you wanted a 2-player LotR game and chose MEQ over WotR.

Fryd Pickles wrote:
I had looked up MEQ and WotR a few times already, but they never really interested me. Then finally after reading more about it this past week and watching some videos, I sort of changed my mind.

Not sure what you read or saw, but I guess maybe you should have read/watched some more... Impulse buy indeed

MEQ and WotR are both cool. For 2 players, I would never have gone for MEQ myself, since WotR is *perfect* for two.

My apologies for making them sound like related versions. Being that I saw a couple of comparisons of the two in the threads, my mind was kind of stuck on that. I did and do know they are completely different. My main objective of my post was to state that I read that WotR was the better of the 2 in terms of popularity after I went and purchased MEQ. I also looked up the specs on each game and both said 2+ players so I assumed both played well with 2. After purhasing MEQ, I saw numerous threads stating MEQ is better played with 3+ players. I didn't necessarily want a 2 player game; we mainly just play board games with only 2 players. It's rare I can get a group together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to apologize! Did my post sound a bit harsh? Damn the written word... Didn't mean to come across like thatblush
But it is a bit strange how you only now start to find this stuff out, after your purchase I mean. You made a pretty misinformed decision I think.

But to get back to your question:
Fryd Pickles wrote:
Did I really screw myself and get the worse of the two?

No way to screw yourself in buying a great game, right?
Enjoy MEQ, it rocks!

edited for spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
I actually think that MEQ plays better with two people than three or four. The problem with co-op games is that sometimes you can have an alpha or more experienced player kind of making everyone's decisions anyway.

Totally agree with this. You can have 1 player control 1-3 heroes with no problem. It does give the heroes some advantage as table talk is open for Sauron to hear so unless he can read minds, it is easy to coordinate your heroes without tipping off Sauron. Sauron is evil so who cares.

As for making the wrong decision, hard to say but looking through your game collection, I will say you made the right call. WOTR is just that, an excellent themed wargame (clash of armies) with a special forces unit called the fellowship.

I consider MEQ a more of a cold war type of game. Neither side is ready for open warfare so the CIA (Heroes) and the KGB (Sauron) try to influence/counter influence various factions of Middle Earth through their agents (heroes/minions/monsters) and occasionally small unit actions flare up (combat with a Minion). For me, it is almost like playing a novel, I don't own any other game like it. I wasted 3 days looking for the dice! The combat/move system is just great.

As for tension, it has plenty of it. Are those monsters or are they just rumors? Will I pull a killer corruption card (some are really bad)?

What's with the creepy avatars? I can't look away....gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Middle Earth Quest with two players. I find it plays very, very similarly (from a mechanics-perspective) to Arkham Horror. However, while I'm not a huge Arkham Horror fan, I do enjoy Middle Earth Quest quite a bit.

I own both games and do not think you made a poor choice. Either would have been fine.

Enjoy your game =) sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilson wrote:
I have only played Middle Earth Quest with two players. I find it plays very, very similarly (from a mechanics-perspective) to Arkham Horror. However, while I'm not a huge Arkham Horror fan, I do enjoy Middle Earth Quest quite a bit.

I own both games and do not think you made a poor choice. Either would have been fine.

Enjoy your game =) sauron

Ditto; this is exactly how I feel as well.

I actually think 2 players is ideal. My only recommendation would be to also try out having the Hero player control 2 different heroes...which I think is what some people mean by the 3-player game being better. This is quite easily done, since the Heroes are on the same side anyway. The "official" 2-player version is that one player controls one Hero that moves twice, but some people feel this is not quite as well-balanced; if you feel that way, it is quite easy to just have one player control two heroes that move once.

So, don't be worried about 2-player...the game is quite good with 2 players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I just got the game in today, and opened up the box. Lo and behold, all the miniatures were either really bent, or completely broken off their base. I contacted both CSI and FFG so hopefully I can get some replacements. On another the note, the box doesn't look like a good insert for all the components/cards. Looks like I may need to get some sleeves and containers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryd Pickles wrote:
Well I just got the game in today, and opened up the box. Lo and behold, all the miniatures were either really bent, or completely broken off their base. I contacted both CSI and FFG so hopefully I can get some replacements. On another the note, the box doesn't look like a good insert for all the components/cards. Looks like I may need to get some sleeves and containers.

FFG is the correct contact point for your minis. If you read back on the early threads, you will see this was a common issue with this game. FFG recognized the issue (too high temperature in the molding process) that casues the brittle minis. New ones were sent out to those who requested them. Hopefully they still have replacements available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Otherwise put the bent minis in nearly-boiling water to straighten them, and get good plastic glue with a small hole in the tip to glue them. It's a nuisance, but it makes the game ready to play sooner rather than later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greekramos wrote:
Otherwise put the bent minis in nearly-boiling water to straighten them, and get good plastic glue with a small hole in the tip to glue them. It's a nuisance, but it makes the game ready to play sooner rather than later.

Mine were also very bent and broken when I got them. I did the above and I bet you wouldn't even be able to tell I had problems with them at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah some of mine were also bent (tho nothing broken) and I used the hair dryer trick. They are mostly in great shape now, though I think I need to work on the Ring Wraiths more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI is sending me all new miniatures so kudos to them for that. I don't mind them being bent, but I do mind them being broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.