Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I apologize up front about the quality of the picture, but I just need it to illustrate few of the questions.

As per FAQ cities in EZOC can't provide supply to units even if they can trace overland supply:

Q: Does a city inside an EZOC provide supply for other cities/units?
A: Only if there is a friendly unit inside the city. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7728915#7728915

So on the picture above the Russian units appear to be without the supply. Russians had chance to put Cadre in Stalino, which would have Cadre also OOS (just keep that in mind for later question)

But as per 7.6
Soviet units are placed in any Soviet controlled City that can trace a Supply Path (see 6.1) even in EZOCs, or on any east or south map edge hex in Russia not in an Enemy Zone of Control.

Question 1:
7.6 in this case imply that Russians could place a unit in Rostov (from replacements or reinforcements) but not in Stalino. If the Russians had the unit in Rostov, could they place unit in Stalino (as a reinforcement), and also would other 3 Russian units be in supply?

Questoin 2:
If the German (phasing player) attack Russian and rolls CA, and then Russian attacks and rolls CB, the CB marker should be placed on the Russian unit. But will this marker be removed in the removal phase or will it stay on the Russian unit until next German turn? This is not covered by rules. I presume it would be removed in Russian removal phase but want to confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1:
7.6 in this case imply that Russians could place a unit in Rostov (from replacements or reinforcements) but not in Stalino. If the Russians had the unit in Rostov, could they place unit in Stalino (as a reinforcement), and also would other 3 Russian units be in supply?

Yes.

Questoin 2:
If the German (phasing player) attack Russian and rolls CA, and then Russian attacks and rolls CB, the CB marker should be placed on the Russian unit. But will this marker be removed in the removal phase or will it stay on the Russian unit until next German turn? This is not covered by rules. I presume it would be removed in Russian removal phase but want to confirm.

No!. A CB marker is ALWAYS placed on the PHASING player units!!! So all CBs created on the German player turn will be placed on German units, and vice-versa.

Read again carefully the graphic Counterblow Combat Example on page 13 of the rules. and also rule 10.7.3 and also the Combat result table description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the answer to your first question is:

Yes, because the first reinforcement placed in Rostov would allow a second unit to be placed in Stalino. This is due to overland supply now making it to Stalino. Also, the other Soviet units would have been in supply, even if there was only a unit in Rostov and not Stalino, because the supply line could be traced through the hex west of Rostov.

Your second question regarding counterblows, even during a counter attack the counterblows are always placed on the phasing player. So the counterblows would actually go on the german units, not the russians.

EDIT: Carl is just too fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:

EDIT: Carl is just too fast.

Mwahahaha!!!! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Roy
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb

Please forgive me if I mess this up, but I am new to boardgamegeek and do not know if or where my map picture will appear. I am playing my first game using the existing Living Rules. I have a (5) fort in Kalinin. The Axis player placed a counterblow marker on an adjacent 7-6 panzer during the Russian Combat Phase. According to my understanding, my (5) fort can (and must) attack the unit. I roll a CA on the 1:2 column. The Axis unit counterattacks at 1:1 and rolls a CB. As discussed earlier in this thread, I should put the CB marker on one of my units... but the (5) fort is the only adjacent unit and 10.1.2 says that I can't put a counterblow marker on a hex that only has units with white attack factors. Help!

I assume that the two stacks of Axis units near Tula will be out of supply during the Supply Phase of the next Axis turn because Smolensk is in an EZOC. Correct?

The rules discuss Lake hexes and hexsides, but I can't find anything about sea hexsides. Can the sea hexside marked by the white arrow just north of Sevastopol be used to provide Overland Supply to the Axis unit in the swamp NE of Sevastopol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derekrledr wrote:

Please forgive me if I mess this up, but I am new to boardgamegeek and do not know if or where my map picture will appear. I am playing my first game using the existing Living Rules. I have a (5) fort in Kalinin. The Axis player placed a counterblow marker on an adjacent 7-6 panzer during the Russian Combat Phase. According to my understanding, my (5) fort can (and must) attack the unit. I roll a CA on the 1:2 column. The Axis unit counterattacks at 1:1 and rolls a CB. As discussed earlier in this thread, I should put the CB marker on one of my units... but the (5) fort is the only adjacent unit and 10.1.2 says that I can't put a counterblow marker on a hex that only has units with white attack factors. Help!

I assume that the two stacks of Axis units near Tula will be out of supply during the Supply Phase of the next Axis turn because Smolensk is in an EZOC. Correct?

The rules discuss Lake hexes and hexsides, but I can't find anything about sea hexsides. Can the sea hexside marked by the white arrow just north of Sevastopol be used to provide Overland Supply to the Axis unit in the swamp NE of Sevastopol?

Yes, you cannot put a counterblow marker on a hex that has only units whith white attack factors. In this case the marker is not placed anywhere. Just ignore it.

Yes the two Germans units near Tula will be Out of Supply.

And no the sea Hexside cannot be used for overland supply.

Say, what turn of the game is this? The Soviet seems to have quite a lot of Red units in this game. Remember that you cannot start to improve Soviets to their red sides (one per turn, free), unless it's a fort (pay one card), before Turn 6. It looks like you improved some regular Soviet units using card discards here, and this is not allowed until turn 17.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Roy
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you very much for your prompt response, Carl. And you make a good point... The photo shows the situation after the Turn 8 Russian Combat Phase (except for the German counterblow marker... it was there to illustrate one of my questions). There should only be 3 units that have been "education" upgraded, not 4. I would have spent a card to upgrade each of the fort units as well. Your rules on this are very clear... so I assume that I made an age-related, memory loss mistake. I leave the game set up on a game tray in my office at work... and assume that I upgraded a unit on a Friday afternoon at the end of a lunch break... and upgraded another at the start of my next session the next Monday. This is my first game and I am teaching the game to a friend (playing the Axis) on the fly. In the early part of the game, he did not grasp the value of playing counterblow markers during the Russian Combat Phase. He also suffered a statistically high number of EX results during his first few Combat Phases... so once he could, he spent a lot of cards flipping his reduced units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derekrledr wrote:
Thank you very much for your prompt response, Carl. And you make a good point... The photo shows the situation after the Turn 8 Russian Combat Phase (except for the German counterblow marker... it was there to illustrate one of my questions). There should only be 3 units that have been "education" upgraded, not 4. I would have spent a card to upgrade each of the fort units as well. Your rules on this are very clear... so I assume that I made an age-related, memory loss mistake. I leave the game set up on a game tray in my office at work... and assume that I upgraded a unit on a Friday afternoon at the end of a lunch break... and upgraded another at the start of my next session the next Monday. This is my first game and I am teaching the game to a friend (playing the Axis) on the fly. In the early part of the game, he did not grasp the value of playing counterblow markers during the Russian Combat Phase. He also suffered a statistically high number of EX results during his first few Combat Phases... so once he could, he spent a lot of cards flipping his reduced units.

Ok thanks!

There is quite a few video tutorials here for the game, and on the No Retreat! Board Game Geek page.

Say, are you in the Montréal region?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Roy
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I'm about as far away as you can get heading west...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derekrledr wrote:
I'm about as far away as you can get heading west...

Don't fall in the water!

My headquarters are in Ste-Thérèse, so up North, near were wargamers ski.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.