Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. I would like to point out, however, that unspotted enemy units can indeed fire on your Sherman tank. They also fire as the unspotted units on the back of the counters. For example, an unspotted Panzer Mk IV will fire at your tank as a Tiger I, or an unspotted 37mm anti-tank gun will fire at your tank as if it were an 88mm anti-tank gun. This is why spotting enemy units is so important in this game - so that you can determine whether the enemy unit will kill you quickly or not, and what you need to do next.

Another thing you do not want to do in this game is recklessly fire at an enemy unit - you probably will not do any damage to it but you are almost certain to get a response from it, whereas if you leave it alone it may not do anything at all.

Always make use of your smoke rounds, smoke grenades, and hull down defensive positions. Friendly artillery and air cover are also very helpful. Remember that your M4 Sherman is not an M1 Abrams and was never intended to be - the M4 is an infantry support vehicle and not an anti-tank weapon. If you get a Sherman with the 76mm gun, try to get as much HVAP (High Velocity Armor Piercing) ammo as you can, but don't think you're going to go Tiger or Panther hunting with it. You'll still need to get rear or side shots with it at close range to kill a Tiger or a Panther.

I would love to see a modern version of this game with the M1 Abrams - then you could go after enemy tanks almost at will. Or versions where you could drive WWII German or Russian tanks would be cool.

Edit: So I see there is a variant posted where you can use a T-34/76 or late war T-34/85. May have to give them a try...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, there is a difference between a "hidden" unit and an "unspotted" one. Open mouth, insert foot...

I haven't played this game in awhile (I'm spending most of my time dodging the Luftwaffe in B-17: Queen of the Skies with the 281st Bomb Group) but I always had a lot of fun when I did...except that time the weather was "fog" for the entire day. The best thing about fog is that if you can't see them, they can't see you...

Carry on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Mk2
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Great review, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Anzuinelli
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.