Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Harris
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im thinking of buying from a store in the USA and having it sent here in the UK. Will I be charged any form of tax ontop of the cost of the actual game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely yes.

Only boardgames marked gift (etc) will not be taxed. It may make ordering it from the states not worth doing. While these taxes are very annoying and often unfair - we do get universal health coverage... so its swings and roundabouts

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm:

Quote:
Tax on goods bought from a non-EU country
If you're ordering or sending goods from a non-EU country to the UK, even as a gift, you may have to pay Customs Duty, Excise Duty and Import VAT.
Please note that where the guidance below refers to 'purchased goods' it makes no difference if the goods are new or used, for example goods bought on an auction site. And it doesn't matter if you buy them for yourself or to sell on.

All other goods
If you order or send purchased goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you:
don't have to pay Excise Duty
may have to pay Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £135
will have to pay Import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15
Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £9 or under.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Harris
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Briggs
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It looks like the Fair Trade Acts doesn't always work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI - You shouldn't have to pay any tax on the US end. The retailer on the US side won't charge you any sales tax, but you will have to deal with your customs people on the UK side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
20% VAT on top

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
Select a state/province (U.S. and Canada only)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The really frustrating thing is that you get charged the tax but then get charged an extra £8 handling fee by royal mail.angry

How does sale tax work? Do people in the US have to add a tax on to the advertised price or is it included? Whenever I've bought games from America I've always had to pay the full advertised cost in dollars so I assumed I was paying tax to both governments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McCauley
United States
Mountville (Lancaster County)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sales tax is added on top of the advertised price, because if varies by location. Most of PA (except Philly) has 6% sales tax, DE is 0%, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But as other people have mentioned, if you are ordering from abroad, you won't have to pay US sales tax. If the store is charging you tax, they are not supposed to. It could be a matter that their store POS system does so automatically and isn't optimized for mail order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Harris
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame about the taxes, makes about 40% of this site null and void as I'll never get to play or buy most of the games featured on here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
join a club - then you can play them all and borrow them if they like you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.