Subject: Who are these guys? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seba Stian
Norway
Molde
flag msg tools
mb
I red Tolkien's books a long time ago. Therefore, I cannot remember all the characters that appear there. So, if a Tolkien fan could help me identifying the characters that appear in the cards I would be grateful. I'm interested in knowing where they appear in the books.
Lets start with the heroes in the core set:

Aragorn: No doubt.
Gloin: One of Thorin's dwarves in The Hobbit. I think he also appeared or is mention in TLotR.
Theodred: wasn't he the son of Theodem?

Gimli: No doubt.
Legolas: No doubt.
Thalin: Who is him? I checked and he is not in Thorin's group.

Eowyn: No doubt.
Eleanor: Who is her?
Dunhere: The only info I have is what is on the flavor of the card.

Denethor: No doubt.
Glorfindel: I think he is a powerful elf, but I do not remember him appearing in the books.
Beravor: Who is her?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Who are this guys?
surrutia wrote:

Thalin and Beravor?

The first navigated the Anduin and discovered the Sea of Udun in the mid Second Age.

(I think FFG make stuff up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to Theodred - killed a few days before Gandalf arrived at Edoras
Thalin is not in LotR
Dunhere was chieftain of the folk of Harrowdale
Eleanor is an FFG invention. Elanor (note spelling) was Sam's firstborn.
Glorfindel was a high elf, one of Rivendel's mightiest. Most of what Arwen did in the film was actually Glorfindel.
Beravor anothe FFG invention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil L

Winston-Salem
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
surrutia wrote:

Gloin: One of Thorin's dwarves in The Hobbit. I think he also appeared or is mention in TLotR.

Yes, Gloin was one of the dwarves in the Hobbit. He's also the father of Gimli, and was present with Gimli at the Council of Elrond in Fellowship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
97% Fat Free
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Ah beaten to the punch. Boy you guys are lightning quick to reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glorfindel also appears as a tough dude in Middle-earth.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are female dwarves never mentioned in the books, the games etc? I'm not really into bearded ladies, but the gender mix for Dwarves (and Hobbits) in LOTR games seems askew... maybe they were just kept out of view polishing the axes and doing the dishes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
I'm not really into bearded ladies

Ah, that brings me back to the days of KOTD, arguments over whether female dwarves have beards or not laugh . I think one of the Dragon Magazine issues when I was still reading them had a non-bearded female dwarf in the article about dwarven society and whatnot, back in the day D&D 3rd edition came out.

On a note related to the thread itself, Beravor and Thalin are two heroes from FFG's Middle-Earth Quest .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
orange cox
msg tools
mb
mikeb13603 wrote:
Glorfindel also appears as a tough dude in Middle-earth.

Mike

Well he did kill a Balrog, come back from the dead, being involved in the destruction of Angmar and made the prediction about the Witch King of Angmar not being killed by a man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Chou4555 wrote:
Why are female dwarves never mentioned in the books, the games etc? I'm not really into bearded ladies, but the gender mix for Dwarves (and Hobbits) in LOTR games seems askew... maybe they were just kept out of view polishing the axes and doing the dishes...

"It was said by Gimli that there are few dwarf-women, probably no more than a third of the whole people. They seldom walk abroad except at great need. They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart." --LotR Appendix A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloin: In addition to The Hobbit, in The Fellowship of the Ring, he represented the Dwarves in the Council of Elrond; also the father of Gimli

Theodred: son of Theoden, mortally wounded at the First Battle of the Fords of Isen (mentioned in The Two Towers)

Dunhere: part of the mustering of the Rohirrim; slain at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in The Return of the King

Glorfindel: He appeared in The Fellowship of the Ring during Strider's & the 4 Hobbits' "Flight to the Ford" on their way to Rivendell; was also present at the Council of Elrond...if I recall correctly, he may also have been present during Aragorn's coronation towards the end of The Return of the King.

Beravor, Eleanor, & Thalin: FFG "created" these 3 adventurers for their Middle-Earth Quest game; they also created Eometh (Rohan) and Argalad (Elf) for this one, so I'm wondering if they'll be making an appearance in future expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed info! I think this should go on Wikipedia!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iron
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't understand why they have to make up names. The Lord of the Rings world is so rich full of interesting characters that could be included in the game.

By the way, I use the following wiki to check the story behind each character:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bveld wrote:
I really don't understand why they have to make up names. The Lord of the Rings world is so rich full of interesting characters that could be included in the game.

Killer website John. Thanks!

P.S. I couldn't agree with you more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
97% Fat Free
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
bveld wrote:

+1 and all the purist Tolkien fans cringe as one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fave name from LOTR is Grima Wormtongue. He was a human I recall- one of the Rohan King's corrupt advsors... sadly they missed out from the film the bit at the end of LOTR where he and Saruman enslaved Hobbiton. Christopher Lee got in a right old strop about that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
My fave name from LOTR is Grima Wormtongue. He was a human I recall- one of the Rohan King's corrupt advsors... sadly they missed out from the film the bit at the end of LOTR where he and Saruman enslaved Hobbiton. Christopher Lee got in a right old strop about that!

I think Christopher Lee was more concerned about the 8 minute Saruman sequence they cut from the theatrical version of Return of the King. Thankfully they added it back in for the Extended DVD/BR edition. Even more happily
Spoiler (click to reveal)
he's back on board as Saruman again for The Hobbit movies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good. He must be almost 90 years old- but he does speak fluent Elvish apparently!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Christopher Lee reads the audio-book version of 'The Children of Húrin'. I hardly need to say that he gives a fine reading with flawless pronunciation of all the names. And his voice reading Morgoth's lines gives me goosebumps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christopher Lee is the man! He is good even in very poor movies or tv-series (I remember one time appearance in space 1999 series... Och boy it was so bad, but Cristopher make that episode reasonable). One of the best voiced actors in the history! James Earl Jones is another, that has very rememberable voice. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bveld wrote:
I really don't understand why they have to make up names.

I think that it is because they don't have rights to all those names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:

I was VERY disappointed that they cut out the scouring of the shire at the end and the old forest/Tom Bombadil from the beginning, they were my favorite parts of the books. Well, those parts and the council of elrond and the part when Aragorn announces himself to Eomer and his riders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
ZillaGod wrote:
Chou4555 wrote:

I was VERY disappointed that they cut out the scouring of the shire at the end and the old forest/Tom Bombadil from the beginning, they were my favorite parts of the books. Well, those parts and the council of elrond and the part when Aragorn announces himself to Eomer and his riders.
I guess all fans of the book have their own pet gripes about the film. As it happens, I did not have too much f a problem with those bits being left out. Bombadil does nothing for the story, really, and I am surprised that Tolkien left it in the book after all the revisions and rewrites. It strikes me as a leftover from when the LotR was just another kids book sequel to the hobbit.

I can understand the cinematic reasons for leaving out the scouring of the shire. Jackson was ribbed at the Oscars for wining as many Oscars as there were false endings to the film, and that would have added yet more, and added yet more running time after the climax of the film at the cracks of doom. You have more time and space to tidy up loose ends in books.

I can also accept, for cinematic reasons, turning Glorfindel into Arwen.

There are plenty of things I find much harder to accept. Turning Faramir into just a little version of his brother, instead of the noble contrast in the books was unforgiveable to me. Especially when the whole point seemed to be an excuse to get in a gratuitous dragon sequence. The ents, ditto. They made up their own minds based on what was right, they did not need to be tricked by the hobbits. Then we have The Sam/Frodo stuff before the stairs. And, and, and ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.